4 wheel vehicle comparison

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Hi all!

Just wondering… given the choice between –

1) FJ Cruiser
    2) Nissan Xterra
    3) Nissan Patrol (the old one)

– which would you choose? And why?

I’m hoping your opinions will help me out on deciding which car to go with, in the event I need to put my Pajero into retirement.

All comments, suggestions and opinions will be much appreciated!

April 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm #25592

If you wanna the best car then go for Nissan Patrol LWB VTC 4800. The LBW has more stability control. Fj is the second choice but it has one weak point which is center differential. FJ is a powerful car and good choice to chose but not to forget that FJ is not a very comfort car in Offroading and it shares this spec with the Jeep. Moreover the FJ visibility is not the perfect visibility comparing to LC or Nissan Safari LWB.

Wish you a best of Luck in choosing your next offroading toy.

BR

April 10, 2013 at 4:59 am #25596

Thanks Musbah!

April 10, 2013 at 5:18 am #25597
    quote musbah:

If you wanna the best car then go for Nissan Patrol LWB VTC 4800. The LBW has more stability control. Fj is the second choice but it has one weak point which is center differential. FJ is a powerful car and good choice to chose but not to forget that FJ is not a very comfort car in Offroading and it shares this spec with the Jeep. Moreover the FJ visibility is not the perfect visibility comparing to LC or Nissan Safari LWB.

Wish you a best of Luck in choosing your next offroading toy.

BR

I am 100% in agreement with Musbah!!!
    My options of choice would be as follows…

Toyota LC – Leader of the Pack, without any doubt.
    Nissan Patrol – Bit outdated technologically but a reliable workhorse.
    Toyota FJ – Nice Car but loosing points on comfort & visibility parameters.
    Nissan X-terra – Nice reliable, powerful but lacking any charisma.

I would not even consider an American Car, even a Jeep, due to their temperamental reliability problems.

April 10, 2013 at 6:07 am #25599

Given the choice of the 3 cars, i will choose Nissan patrol old one..

1) FJ Cruiser – Good car, powerful, has diff locs. Visibility is an issue but driver seat can be uplifted by putting spacers..The only issue is with stability and it has the higher possibility of roll over compared to others due to its power to weight ratio..
    2) Nissan Xterra – Good car and powerful. It can be driven offroad without any modifications but still the question of reliability and stability..In case if any mistake from the driver like over power or wrong turn then roll over chances are high
    3) Nissan Patrol (the old one) – 4.8 VTC or 80 series are the best one for offroading. Stability wise this is good but reliability again an issue. If one can take care of car on and off by checking frequently with the mechanic then this will be best car for offroading/economical based on above choices..

April 10, 2013 at 6:27 am #25601

๐Ÿ™‚ I Like this subject that will never end. You’ve just opened a Pandora box and you’ll never get the same answer from any one, no matter the offroad experience, simply because everyone is different and the needs are different, expectations are also different. Here is my own view on this:

1) Best Offroad Car is a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) or the newest one 2013
    Cons: not confortable on road, no real cargo space

2) Best second offroad Car is an FJ
    Cons: visibility, CG location (stability) which can be addressed with wheel spacers

3) Best overall offroad with onroad comfort car is a Toyota Landcruiser LC followed by the Patrol 2 doors SWB 4.8 followed by the Patrol LWB 4.8 the old one obviously

4) Xterra is a good choice for most of what we do as well as the Pajero (despite the rear bumper issue)

Nonetheless, the car is the 25% the remaining is who is driving it + tires.

Have a good hunting

April 10, 2013 at 6:40 am #25603

can anyone elabrate it a bit why Central Diff is a weak point per previous comments? i thought having Central Diff is better than nothing, but not as good as fully equipped i.e. front and rear.

April 10, 2013 at 7:05 am #25604

Hmmm… Looks like the Patrol is leading the pack so far! Thank you all for your valuable input!

I think that another reason that I would consider getting the Patrol is that it seems to hold its value quite well…

April 10, 2013 at 7:17 am #25606

I LOVE my Patrol. Super Safary 2003 4.8lts.
    Good to go to the office, good to go to wadis, good to go camping, everybody moves away from the highway when see it coming, all locals want to buy it, excellent to carry your in-laws when visiting (hope just a very short visit ๐Ÿ˜€ ), and has 2 petrol tanks, good for about 600 kilometers in highway.

Cons: none ๐Ÿ˜€

April 10, 2013 at 7:41 am #25607

Nissan Patrol 4.8 will be a good deal…

April 10, 2013 at 7:58 am #25609
    quote Khalil_mtl:

You’ve just opened a Pandora box and you’ll never get the same answer from any one.
    Nonetheless, the car is the 25% the remaining is who is driving it + tires.

This is the perfect answer to your question, Rakesh ๐Ÿ˜€ But difficult to accept and doesn’t solve your purpose :))

quote Robinson:

I LOVE my Patrol. Super Safary 2003 4.8lts.
    Good to go to the office, good to go to wadis, good to go camping, everybody moves away from the highway when see it coming, all locals want to buy it, excellent to carry your in-laws when visiting (hope just a very short visit ๐Ÿ˜€ ), and has 2 petrol tanks, good for about 600 kilometers in highway.
    Cons: none ๐Ÿ˜€

Look at this – experience of a Patroler :-BD

A simple observation – offroaders generally tend to praise other cars than the one they drive :-?? exception are generally Jeepers and Patrolers :ymblushing:

Now my answer – I ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก my majestic Patrol for its potency, power and stability.
    As Rob stated, never had to flash headlights to clear the speed track in motorways and that’s something I enjoy alot :ymblushing:
    Dont get surprised to find a note on windscreen when you return to your beast at a shopping mall parking lot – “please call 05_ _ _ _ _ _ if you want to sell, ready cash” ๐Ÿ™‚
    Made for offroad, heavy dutier for recovery :ymhug:
    Engine never dies off, it keeps firing from all cylinders even if the load is more than the engine power, gives full confidence to its handler to attempt :ymcowboy:
    Rugged car for rugged use :-BD

Cons:-
    Patrol drinks Petrol ๐Ÿ˜€
    Need to have a good specialized and genuine mechanic to maintain the beast in shape. :-BD
    A beast and little aged, needs frequent pampering, which can take a toll on your vallet. L-)
    It lives in sand with momentum. Powerhouse underneath the hood is useless if adequate momentum is not provided. :-Q
    Excess weight can be a impediment while exploring unknown areas of soft sand :-ss

April 10, 2013 at 9:15 am #25623

Woah… Finally opinions from the Patrollers themselves!

The patrol does have that aura and mystic of Arabia and the desert about it.

To clarify though, when you mention that the Patrol requires a lot of maintenance, would that be true of a brand new, out of the show room model as well?

April 10, 2013 at 9:31 am #25624
    quote rak667:

To clarify though, when you mention that the Patrol requires a lot of maintenance, would that be true of a brand new, out of the show room model as well?

Absolutely no :-BD For a brand new car, anyways you are secured for electrical and mechanical issues vide manufacturer’s warranty.
    But the damages it takes due to offroad usage requires timely maintenance/repair, but affordable.

April 10, 2013 at 10:54 am #25628

Its affordable, but not like JEEPS, Just Empty Every Pocket….. My way of thinking

Want to learn & throw the car…Go for Cheap Jeep & Spend money as monthly installment of AED 500-1000 so on…Once you learn change the car to patrol or LC…. :D… But the problem is that once we learn we can see a Brand New Jeep on front courtyard of villa…That’s the magic…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.