!4th Feb, Trip to Ghost town, Inter-Fewbie

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    quote duli:

First of all.. :thanks: to Brian and all the Marshals for the wonderful :drive: on Friday.

The fewbie drive had started at a slow pace while we all settled in. After a while the pace was then increased and thats when I got bellied on the crest with my LWB F150 8-}

Quick recovery by Sanjay and went for the successful second try. #:-s

After that was a short breifing. I was the last car in the convoy :(( but after the breifing, Humayun and Sanjay made sweet music to my ears by saying “Let’s move the F150 to position # 4” :ymparty: :yesss: ๐Ÿ˜€

We moved on from there and went at a faster pace. A lot of side cresting. This drive really boosted my confidence as I was always nervous with side cresting. after 2 – 3 side crestings…. It felt like driving on a straight track.

As the drive name mentions, we were unable to make it to Ghost town due to time.

Eventhough we did not make it to Ghost Town, we got to experience a POP OUT (Courtesy Salman) :ymapplause: and even learnt how to fix the pop out.

Humayun, Sanjay (sorry I cannot recollect the name of the other 2 marshals on this trip) ๐Ÿ™ … Waiting for a trip to Ghost town this weekend… really want to see what the Ghost Town is all about… as the name sounds very tempting…. =p~

Have a great and safe week ahead.

See you all soon. :ymparty:

Thanks for the short and sweet report Abdul…The other two Marshals were Razik and Firoz

Mission of the marshalls on that trip was to escalate new bies to few bies and to give some confidence to take it further.

Glad to hear that you guys had fun and learnt something new from this trip :drive: :drive:

Ghost town will be an interesting track with full of soft sand. Even a small mistake will make the recovery toucher….

Will do this route shortly…. :-w :-w :-w

Anonymous
    February 16, 2014 at 9:00 am #29060
    quote khshareef:

[Thanks for the short and sweet report Abdul…The other two Marshals were Razik and Firoz

Mission of the marshalls on that trip was to escalate new bies to few bies and to give some confidence to take it further.

Glad to hear that you guys had fun and learnt something new from this trip :drive: :drive:

Ghost town will be an interesting track with full of soft sand. Even a small mistake will make the recovery toucher….

Will do this route shortly…. :-w :-w :-w

Sorry Razik and Firoz, could not recollect your names. But a BIG thanks to you both as well to make sure our trip was safe and sucessful.

Humayun, waiting for the next trip to G Town soon. (Hopefully this weekend) 8-| ๐Ÿ˜•

February 16, 2014 at 2:57 pm #29062

Just wanted to say that the drive was amazing and was a lot of fun ๐Ÿ™‚ was definitely one of the best drives I’ve been on. Love the dunes and all hehe would love to go back there again and again lol

cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

February 17, 2014 at 1:06 am #29065

Much belated Drive report, I did try and post via the mobile app, firstly to thank Yohanbari for his video :thanks: and secondly to congratulate everybody on their desert driving skills :yesss:
    I even made a draft post via the mobile app but sadly it doesn’t seemed to have been saved…need to get some input from Hamza our webmaster for that issue ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜•

Drive report
    It was a very good turnout out at Al Badyer and a good 20 vehicles gathered under the Palms to deflate group assignment and a safety and orientation brief.

Other than myself DO Marshall’s Humayun and Firoz were on hand to assist participants in their preparations and Roving Ranger Razik could be seen helping folks with particular issues. WE were also lucky enough to have 2 very experienced drivers in the team Sanjay Matthews and Carl Caruk to guide and support the afternoons activities.

The gathered folks were spilit into two ability groups newbie/fewbies and fewbie/Intermediates. The first group was lead by Brigadier Humayun, his second lead Colonel Firoz and advanced driver Major Matthews provided invaluable support in sweep position. The intermediate group with me at the helm, Carl as second lead and Ranger Razik in support at the rear.

I took our convoy in a south westerly direction at the outset to give participants some undemanding space in which to settle down and focus on the drive ahead. Turning southwards towards the higher dunes a few early moments of indecision were swiftly dealt with by our expert support without unduly slow the progress on the drive.

Moving into the higher bowls around Iftar presented a few drivers with more serious challenges this resulted in not of all of our group making it to the two thirds height staging point which gives access to Iftar summit. The Doctor and his wife and Erik and his wife were amongst the few able to enjoy the magnificent view from this vantage point.

Regrouping at lower slopes, we started the mid section of the drive moving over to Super bowl to observe the local climb event. Several hundred cars were gathered here to watch and participate in the Friday afternoon spoectcle. This mass of vehicles of all makes, colours and styles caused a few moments of dislocation in the convoy, however Carl managed to shepard everybody through the morass of metal and we again regrouped for a final briefing before the tricky softer dunes of the final approach to Ghost Town.

With nearly three hours of continuous driving under their belts the groups entry to Ghost town was accomplished at a good speed, giving Razik a well earned break in his encouragement and support of the less experienced in the group.

Allowing a 20minute break for exploration amongst the neglected houses and mosque of Ghost town, gave everybody the energy to push on through to a roadside exit at sundown. The BBQ idea was abandoned for a future date.

My personal thanks to Humayun, Firoz, Razik, Sanjay and Carl for their able bodied assistance in the organisation of these drives.

A very big :thanks: to all of the members who registered for the :drive: JUST FOR FUN ๐Ÿ™‚

See y’all soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

February 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm #29082
    quote brianj:

Much belated Drive report, I did try and post via the mobile app, firstly to thank Yohanbari for his video :thanks: and secondly to congratulate everybody on their desert driving skills :yesss:
    I even made a draft post via the mobile app but sadly it doesn’t seemed to have been saved…need to get some input from Hamza our webmaster for that issue ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜•

Drive report
    It was a very good turnout out at Al Badyer and a good 20 vehicles gathered under the Palms to deflate group assignment and a safety and orientation brief.

Other than myself DO Marshall’s Humayun and Firoz were on hand to assist participants in their preparations and Roving Ranger Razik could be seen helping folks with particular issues. WE were also lucky enough to have 2 very experienced drivers in the team Sanjay Matthews and Carl Caruk to guide and support the afternoons activities.

The gathered folks were spilit into two ability groups newbie/fewbies and fewbie/Intermediates. The first group was lead by Brigadier Humayun, his second lead Colonel Firoz and advanced driver Major Matthews provided invaluable support in sweep position. The intermediate group with me at the helm, Carl as second lead and Ranger Razik in support at the rear.

I took our convoy in a south westerly direction at the outset to give participants some undemanding space in which to settle down and focus on the drive ahead. Turning southwards towards the higher dunes a few early moments of indecision were swiftly dealt with by our expert support without unduly slow the progress on the drive.

Moving into the higher bowls around Iftar presented a few drivers with more serious challenges this resulted in not of all of our group making it to the two thirds height staging point which gives access to Iftar summit. The Doctor and his wife and Erik and his wife were amongst the few able to enjoy the magnificent view from this vantage point.

Regrouping at lower slopes, we started the mid section of the drive moving over to Super bowl to observe the local climb event. Several hundred cars were gathered here to watch and participate in the Friday afternoon spoectcle. This mass of vehicles of all makes, colours and styles caused a few moments of dislocation in the convoy, however Carl managed to shepard everybody through the morass of metal and we again regrouped for a final briefing before the tricky softer dunes of the final approach to Ghost Town.

With nearly three hours of continuous driving under their belts the groups entry to Ghost town was accomplished at a good speed, giving Razik a well earned break in his encouragement and support of the less experienced in the group.

Allowing a 20minute break for exploration amongst the neglected houses and mosque of Ghost town, gave everybody the energy to push on through to a roadside exit at sundown. The BBQ idea was abandoned for a future date.

My personal thanks to Humayun, Firoz, Razik, Sanjay and Carl for their able bodied assistance in the organisation of these drives.

A very big :thanks: to all of the members who registered for the :drive: JUST FOR FUN ๐Ÿ™‚

See y’all soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

Great Report Brian ๐Ÿ™‚

Good to see Razik back in action. Hope all’s well bro :-BD

February 17, 2014 at 7:44 pm #29091
    quote brianj:

Drive report

See y’all soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking forward to seeing u on firday and once again thank you everyone for the great experience and a great report to end it

cheers guys :drive: :thanks:

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.