Fast Paced Intermediate Drive on 16th of August 2013.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Even I’m waiting for the PM :-w

August 16, 2013 at 5:41 pm #27040

Ahmad, thank you so much for Organizing the drive, it was a drive with full of joy. Glad to see Saif, Paul, Matthew, Razik, Duncan and others again. Very good company indeed. Hope to see you soon.

August 17, 2013 at 9:11 am #27043

TRIP REPORT :

All drivers assembled and the meeting point in good time, Our arrival was greeted with sum scenic and beautiful weather with temperature hovering around 31-32 degrees. The sky was covered with clouds and the sand appeared damp indicating some recent showers.

Once deflated we had a short briefing from Mr Ahmed, since the group consisted mainly of our stalwarts there wasn’t much need to go over the basics again. Just a slight caution to beware of the hardness of the Sand and an increased risk of roll-overs because of this especially when going side-ways.

It was decided to split the group of 13 or so cars into 2 convoys.

Convoy-1

Humayoon (Lead)
    Firoz (2nd Lead)
    Baher
    Ashraf
    Sajid
    Saif (sweep)

Our convoy proceeded indeed at a fast pace as was intended by the drive post, another master-class route chalked about by Humayun & very well supported by Firoz. ^:)^ ^:)^

Baher & Ashraf you guys were great & drove very well :-BD :-BD and that was a tricky situation where you both got stuck at extreme close proximity :-ss :-ss .

Saajid was brilliant & our sweep for the day as he performed all recovery’s. 1st Ahsraf & then Baher’s cars and later we assisted 2 members on another convoy. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Hope to see everyone soon on another exciting drive, I get a feeling some where along E-66 ๐Ÿ˜•

Thanks

Saif

August 17, 2013 at 10:42 am #27044

Good to hear you guys had fun and that the weather did not ‘dampen ‘ your spirits. ๐Ÿ˜‰

August 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm #27045

Thank you Ahmed Sb for giving me a slot in the last minute…It was indeed for the drive.. I would have badly misse this one..I have enjoyed the drive..a fast paced one after a while..
    Humayoon…great lead Bro..the pace of the drive was amazing….
    Thinking about the fun we had in the drive made me even forget about the stuck we had…and after all its the part of the game…and we say..no stucks no fun…and an opportunity to learn something new…
    I think I do not have to mention about the drivers..as Saif Already mentioned everyone drove very well..even at some point I felt we had a time line to finish the drive..that was the pace..Excellent drive …Saif, Sajid ..great job at the sweep…
    Hope to see you soon on sand…Till then..take care
    Safe Drive & have Fun..
    Cheers..

August 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm #27046

Convoy – 2

1. Ahmad Pervez
    2. Duncan
    3. Ole
    4. Hongbin
    5. Razik
    6. Matthew (Sweep)
    7. Paul (Sweep incharge )

Fantastic drive overall :yesss: :yesss: :yesss:
    Mr. Ahmad insisted on doing all big dunes enroute to Iftar bowl than attempting to drive onwards to Ghost town which made sense as the drizzle earlier had played its part ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    What a sight it was from behind to see the convoy moving higher & higher in great pace…few second attempts which i thought reflected driver’s good sense of judgement & presence of mind as the tracks were litterally turning to ploughland with wet & soft sand mixture ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Great usual support by Matthew & Paul who was not driving shotgun this time but was behind wheels himself of a beautiful looking Omani number plate Wrangler ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Duncan was superb again as the second lead :ymapplause:
    It was great to have Ole back with us…its always a treat to watch your manoeuvers mate :yesss:
    Hongbin & his machine (legendary Defender) were terrific…great driving mate :ymapplause:
    Few stucks & recoveries which were gladly shared between the 3 of us at the rear ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Ahmad Saab :thanks:
    Thanks to all from both convoys for participating :thanks:

August 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm #27047

Great drive, great weather and a great bunch of offroaders.

It was a typical mid-August afternoon as I set out from home with the temperature gauge in my car showing 40C. I was mentally prepared for a hot and humid drive. After fuelling up at the Lahbab gas station, I found myself in the middle of a sandstorm when passing by Tawi Nazwa which surprisingly gave way to showers on reaching Badayer. It was a decent spell of rain lasting about 10-15 minutes and the temperature had dropped down to 30C as confirmed by Saif earlier.ย 

The sudden change in the weather meant our drive preparation altered as well and the first thing that Saif mentioned was to keep the psi slightly higher than in regular offroad conditions and Ahmad Saab added to that by instructing the members to avoid side sloping.

The full convoy was then split into two by Ahmad Saab with Humayun leading one convoy and the other was led by the founder himself. We were spoilt for sweeps as we had Saif, Mathews, Paul, Firoz and Razik present for the day. I was a part of Humayun’s convoy with Firoz as second lead and Saif as sweep and out we rolled into the Badayer dunes to satisfy our dune bashing itch.ย 

One thing you are assured of when Humayun leads is the SPEED. And so was the case with this drive as well. Unfortunately we had to alter our route twice due to other vehicles being stuck in key areas which prevented our convoy’s access to those particular dunes. ย 

The lead was maintaining great pace when we had our first and only stuck. The car following this vehicle got stuck as a consequence as well. The stuck cars were very close to each other but we had the calm and assuring presence of Saif to guide us out of any tricky situations.ย 

We played the good Samaritan as well and helped others on our way to Iftar bowl. On reaching Iftar bowl we chit chatted with friends we met there and waited for our other convoy to arrive.ย 

It was a good day out in the sands. Thank you Humayun and Saif for managing our convoy. Firoz as usual is a reliable and experienced offroader and a great second lead to have. Ashraf was always there to help out and demonstrated a great attitude. Baher drove very well as well.

Thank you all for a very pleasant unusual mid-August adventure.ย 

Regards

Saj

August 18, 2013 at 5:15 am #27048

Indeed a very good fast paced drive….Thanks Humayuon :yesss: :yesss: …if not for the obstacles created by other fellow offroaders teams; this could’ve been more fun.

The pace was such that, at one point we lost our sweep Fouji from the vicinity ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ; but regrouped very fast :drive: :drive: . That’s the spirit of the team.

Great driving by Baher, Ashraf, Sajjid and full support from saif..what else you could ask for.

Thanks Ahmed sir; for carving such a wonderful team in two different conveys…I’m sure the other convey too would’ve enjoyed the drive very much,

Look forward for more this kind of fun filled fast paced drives in between…. :thanks:

August 18, 2013 at 5:42 am #27049

It was indeed an excellent day to be out and about and I am glad that everybody had a good time.
    It was a good decision to split the convoy into 2 and consequently good pace was maintained overall.
    Thanks to Humayoo’n and Saif for leading & sweeping the 1st convoy and to Sanjay & Paul, who drove all the way from Muscat with Rebecca to drive with us, to support the 2nd Convoy as sweep.
    Everybody drove well and we left our tyre marks on almost all the higher dunes in the Badayer Rifaadah Area!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.