Garmin etrex30

• Author

Need some help with GPS.

How is the Garmin etrex 30, is it a good device for offroad?

Thanks for your help.

Knightrider ๐Ÿ˜•

July 13, 2014 at 7:03 pm #30591

Hey mate ๐Ÿ™‚

Look at choosing a GPS device similar to choosing a smartphone. All do same thing, just having different additional features and specs.

I’m using (very rarely) Nokia offline maps (free) and that only when I need to figure out my position and which way to head to exit desert in an emergency. Usually I use the compass built in my car. ๐Ÿ™‚
    It’s boring and time wasting for a real adventurous offroader to use GPS in my humble opinion.

However, same like smartphones, once you decide to go for it, just take the best (expensive) one, otherwise you may end-up regretting you saved 20$ and dont have a particular feature which you realized you need. Or you can easily get rid of it with low loss (due to higher demand) in case you realized you can actually live without it ๐Ÿ˜•

If there would be a GPS which would create a track in desert based on terrain preferences, I would recommend it. Like for example, if a car breaks down, the GPS would create a track choosing the smoothest dunes for safe towing, but I guess thats science fiction for now ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.