High-lift or Crocodile jack???

• Author
    March 1, 2016 at 4:49 pm #2530

Hello DO Members,

I am about to improve further my offroad gear and considering to buy either a crocodile jack or high-lift. On the last 14 drives with DO though I was never in a situation where I needed any of it (knock on wood), but you never know…

I would like to know your humble opinion, which one is better / more useful for a Jeep?
    – High-lift is good & easy to use in case of pop-out, whereas if I need to change a tire/wheel, I should use it on the front or rear fender (which means additional accessories).
    – Crocodile jack can be put under the axle/diff, might be more complicated in the sand… (?)
    – Crocodile jack is smaller in size (weights less?) and easier to carry in the boot (which is rather small in my 2-door Wrangler),
    – high-lift could be fixed on my roof rack… but again with additional accessories.
    – Crocodile jack is available in DM in many versions, surely including cheap sh…t – which one to buy?
    – Original High-lift is available in offroad stores (Icon, etc), but can be pricey with all accessories – do I need all those?
    – Joe is using high-lift ๐Ÿ˜€ / Abdallah prefers crocodile jack. :)) …..
    … lots of questions and doubts. #:-s

Let me pls have your opinion / experience / thoughts / friendly advise on this regard.

thank you in advance! :thanks:

March 1, 2016 at 5:02 pm #35178

Imho, try to use a hilift first. Its love it or hate it. Dont buy without trying or see in details how it works. To me its way too dangerous. But if you have the skills like Joe for example than you will love it. Ohh, for the same reason dont buy cheap.
    I got a 2ton croc jack for 60 aed and it worked properly twice

March 1, 2016 at 5:27 pm #35179

:thanks: @edeg1972 for starting this thread. it appears that we are in the same boat.

my understanding is that croc jacks are heavier, bulkier and a pain to carry and load them in and out of the boot where as an hi-lift could be easily mounted practically anyhere in a 4×4, could be on the rack, hood, bumper rear spare tires etc etc etc. secondly they appear to look pricier than hi-lifts ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•

i had a popout the other week and it was @Sash716’s hi-lift which did the job and we were back with the convoy in less than 10mins ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

i wonder if we can use a croc jack to fix popouts??

March 1, 2016 at 8:34 pm #35180

bottle jack is the best guys ๐Ÿ˜€
    u just need to do some digging first ๐Ÿ˜‰
    i carry both, a hilift and a bottle jack…
    if u have the right skills u can use a hilift for popouts, self recovery, breaking a bead on a tire, winching and so on… i dont have metal bumpers so i need the bottle jack in case i had to change a tire….

as for crocodile jacks, they are good for a garage IMHO and dont work well with IFS cars as they tend to slip off the control arm most of the time, might work well on solid axles though!

peace

March 2, 2016 at 9:08 am #35181

Given that you haven’t needed either, take into consideration which one will look better on your car ๐Ÿ™‚ Ha ha. I like the high-lift but it is slightly intimidating and potentially more dangerous. On the other hand it can also be used as a pulley and it can also be used as a Jaws of Life in an accident. Can’t do that with a jack.

March 2, 2016 at 8:29 pm #35195
    quote edeg1972:

Hello DO Members,

I am about to improve further my offroad gear and considering to buy either a crocodile jack or high-lift. On the last 14 drives with DO though I was never in a situation where I needed any of it (knock on wood), but you never know…

I would like to know your humble opinion, which one is better / more useful for a Jeep?
    – High-lift is good & easy to use in case of pop-out, whereas if I need to change a tire/wheel, I should use it on the front or rear fender (which means additional accessories).
    – Crocodile jack can be put under the axle/diff, might be more complicated in the sand… (?)
    – Crocodile jack is smaller in size (weights less?) and easier to carry in the boot (which is rather small in my 2-door Wrangler),
    – high-lift could be fixed on my roof rack… but again with additional accessories.
    – Crocodile jack is available in DM in many versions, surely including cheap sh…t – which one to buy?
    – Original High-lift is available in offroad stores (Icon, etc), but can be pricey with all accessories – do I need all those?
    – Joe is using high-lift ๐Ÿ˜€ / Abdallah prefers crocodile jack. :)) …..
    … lots of questions and doubts. #:-s

Let me pls have your opinion / experience / thoughts / friendly advise on this regard.

thank you in advance! :thanks:

I’ve used all 3 jack types and I preferred bottle jack and high-lift combo.

I got a crocodile jack from DM last year I think for around 200-300ish. It was crap lol after a few uses (in the desert) it leaked, thankfully all the oil was contained in the lil carry box. If you decide to get a croc jack I recommend getting a good one, i.e. not from DM lol
    Also, when I had the croc jack, it took a lot more space in the trunk (2-door wrangler as well). Definitely more space than the bottle jack.

Getting a high lift can be pricey, I got mine maybe a month or so ago. I put mine on my hood since it was the easiest place for me (I don’t have a roof rack and my rear tire carrier is stock so I didn’t want to put more weight on it since I got a big tire).

I got a bottle jack from Ace long ago and I got 2 jack stands with it. I don’t remember how much it cost for all 3 items but I think the cost was less than the high lift setup.

At home I use the bottle jack and the stands if I need to do anything to the jeep. With bottle Jacks just make sure you get a big one that has a good reach and can take the weight.

Personally I’d recommend getting a bottle jack for the time being, it’ll work at home and in the desert just fine. Just remember to get some sort of base for it like a thick piece of wood or something. One added benefit of bottle Jacks (vs crocs) is the size. They’re smaller so much easier to keep it in the trunk.

Next time we meet come and ask me (in case I forget lol) and we can talk about it more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

March 2, 2016 at 8:33 pm #35196

I forgot to mention that while high lifts can make recovery faster they do have a down side. They can be a little risky to use. They might tilt or slip or fall during the recovery process, damaging the car or worse hurting the person using it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.