Learner’s + Intermediate Drive Friday the 23rd of Aug. 2013.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    quote MaddieTJ:

Hi everybody, no gps so could anyone explain the meeting point? I know the fuel station on that route :drive: :thanks: :yesss:

Drive 26 kms from the Emarat bunk and the meeting point shall be at the exit on your right.

August 23, 2013 at 7:42 am #27091

Where are you Zarir Bhai…come…it would definitely be fun today :thanks:

August 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm #27092

Thank you guys for the good time we had together today!!

My wife, Hanne, and I enjoyed a lot!! ๐Ÿ˜ก

I hope to join in lot of your next coming trips!!

See you on the tracks :thanks:

August 23, 2013 at 8:17 pm #27093

Thanks guys for a nice drive. It was great catching up with some old friends after long. Ahmed bhai and Tushar thanks for a great lead.

MaddieTJ – Firstly my apologies for today. I do understand that you must have had a long drive to and back from the meeting point. But your own safety and that of the convoy was more important. No offence meant brother.

We had quite a few stucks today in our 12 car convoy of fewbee drivers. A special mention of Levi who drove like a pro and more importantly his ever helping nature with a big smile was a real treat. Ashraf always a pleasure driving alongside you.

Would like to emphasize on 2 points –

1. Convoy discipline – A basic requirement but yet an extremely important factor in this dangerous sport. Would be great if convoy disciple is maintained at all times. Would go a long way in the overall safety of the convoy.

2. Mandatory equipment (Specially Flags and Radios) – The fact that you were driving in a fewbee convoy meant that you have tested the waters and decided to take up off-roading as a hobby. Hence it is important that these pieces of equipment now form a part of your standard arsenal. Believe me they will go a long way in assisting you.

Thanks once again for a nice drive. Catch you all soon.

August 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm #27094

Zarir Bhai, thank you very much. A lot happened since I left the scene. When I was reinflating, the front right tyre valve housing flew off, replaced the spare, the power steering starting leaking like crazy, refilled the reservoir, put on the tow point back at the same spot, somewhere near National paints at 80KMPH the second front tyre valve housing popped off … I drove abt five kms like that, tore thru the new Bridgestone Dueler ๐Ÿ™ and changed all four valves. The other ones popped out in the technicians hands, all were new, less than 1500 kms on them … What an unlucky day but luckily enough, I was turned out for my own good. Imagine this all happening in the desert? Absolute disaster.!!!

Well, alls well that ends well. I am especially grateful to the couple in the Beige Rub3. ..

‘We have a winch and we are coming’ … Such kind words. . God Bless you all

August 24, 2013 at 6:16 am #27095
    quote zarir:

Thanks guys for a nice drive. It was great catching up with some old friends after long. Ahmed bhai and Tushar thanks for a great lead.

Would like to emphasize on 2 points –
    1. Convoy discipline – A basic requirement but yet an extremely important factor in this dangerous sport. Would be great if convoy disciple is maintained at all times. Would go a long way in the overall safety of the convoy.

2. Mandatory equipment (Specially Flags and Radios) – The fact that you were driving in a fewbee convoy meant that you have tested the waters and decided to take up off-roading as a hobby. Hence it is important that these pieces of equipment now form a part of your standard arsenal. Believe me they will go a long way in assisting you.

The points which are raised by Zarir is very valid and we should to be very strict in following this for our own safety and of other friends…

Thanks zarir for re-emphasizing this again. Even in the Intermediate convey, the sweep has to remind about the convey discipline few times ๐Ÿ˜ฎ … ๐Ÿ™

August 24, 2013 at 6:32 am #27096

Thanks for the great turnout to all the participants especially Saad and Tushar.
    Thanks to Saif, Humay’oon, Razik, Zarir, Feroz, Ashraf and Duncan for the convoy support and rescue.
    Any adventure activity is inherently a test of ones preparedness both physical & mental and this preparedness gets fine tuned as we do a particular activity again and again till it almost becomes second nature and we do it naturally without any actual conscious thinking effort.
    This is the whole objective of this exercise and the ultimate objective is to develop not just about driving but complete outdoor survival skills including navigation, avoiding and tackling outdoor natural hazards including poisonous insects and animals, finding and putting up a suitable camping site as well as building up a fire and do some cooking with some very basic equipment…all while meeting, making friends and having loads of fun along with like minded individuals.
    As Zarir has pointed out this requires some discipline and basic preparedness or the adventure becomes a catastrophe quite fast and I am glad that Hamid decided to head back and yes we need to have strict convoy discipline and everybody should carry at least the basic equipments and not be dependant on other members for the equipment.

August 24, 2013 at 7:30 am #27097

Thanks for the trip yesterday. Great fun and very well organized. See you the next time.

August 24, 2013 at 7:55 am #27098

Khatam to Al Faya is a great terrain to drive on which offers fantastic experience to drivers of all levels…an apt route chosen by Mr. Ahmad for this learners + intermediate drive :ymapplause:
    Ours was a learner’s convoy of 8 cars in which 5 were driving for the very first time in the desert ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Yes, that was the reaction in the beginning I must admit but it turned out to be a fun filled full of excitement drive at the end :yesss:
    Credit certainly goes to Saif for smartly carving a route that offered us mini shots of side sloping, crest cutting & driving along small yet tricky pockets…perfect way to boost a first timer’s confidence both in self & his machine, in my opinion :yesss:
    A quick word of caution & advice mid drive by Saif before ascending Devil’s plunge point ensured everyone doing that stretch with ease :ymapplause:
    We will all take the plunge next time, I promise ๐Ÿ™‚
    Some recoveries further gave an insight to our new members about the dos & donts of this sport!
    I’m sure following your first drive in sands you now have a fair understanding of what you must not forget to carry in your kit when going offroading ๐Ÿ˜•
    :thanks: to all the drivers for paying attention to lead Marshal’s advice & most importantly driving with great discipline. At the end of the day these 2 basic qualities helps us come out safely with smiling faces, which was the case last evening ๐Ÿ™‚
    :thanks: for participating & look forward to drive again together for the very reason “JUST FOR FUN”

Anonymous
    August 24, 2013 at 10:11 am #27099

fantastic day out with new friends.. all drove well and proved their intermediate capabilities :ymapplause:

:thanks: Humayun for sweep support

see you guys soon INSHALLAH

August 24, 2013 at 10:26 am #27100

Thanks Sadudheen Bhai for the wonderful drive.

We’ll cherish this rock ‘n’ roll drive for long time :yesss: :yesss:

The ease with which you took the convey was amazing…Look forward driving behind you soon :drive: :drive: again.

It was definitely a Honour for all us to drive with you. :thanks:

August 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm #27103

Thanks to all of you for organizing the drive for Learners. It was totally awesome. I truly understood for the first time that its just 15% which counts for the vehicle… Balance 85% is the driver and how well he drives…..

Thanks to all the support to our Marshal and Sweeper who ensured safety was not compromised but at the same time, each one of us were made to confidently tackle however tough the dune was…

Great Job DO team….. Looking forward to next week’s :drive: :drive: :drive:

:thanks:

Kartyk

ps: my front bumper still managed to stay in one piece ๐Ÿ™‚ And Zach & Duncan, thanks for the crash course to get me out of @-) and :-ss to :drive:

August 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm #27104

It was indeed a great drive yesterday…Thanks to Ahmed & Thushar..and Zarir…and all other fellow offroaders who made this drive a wonderful one..

Just one add on..those who are planning to buy any offroading equipments..please DO buy only Rated /Quality stuff, otherwise it is better not to have one..’coz using cheap quality recovery equipments might be more dangerous than NOT having one…

Hope to see you all soon on sand…
    Take care..Drive safe, Have Fun…

August 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm #27105

It was a great drive and my first time with DO. Thank you all and wish to meet you all again next time..
    Quick question: Is there any means to share photos on this webpage? I hope DO have a facebook page where we can share?

Asif Mahamood
    Pajero SWB 3.8L

August 24, 2013 at 5:54 pm #27106

Hello Guys!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree as well that the walkie and flags are very usefull and security items.

Thats why we bought already the walkie, but we still hadn’t the flag, for next time we’ll have it as well #-o

Thanks to Zarir and Hamid’s nice words, but no worries at all!!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

It was a very nice evening!!!

Hope to see you in the next ๐Ÿ™‚ :thanks: :drive:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.