Newbee + Fewbee Thursday Morning Drive – 24th January 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone

Thank you for Thursday’s drive, the initial part was a breeze due to the moisture in the sand and the resulting traction and we flew along the morning desert scenery. The second half once the sun was up and the moisture gone from the sand made the drive interesting with a bit of side sloping and going over the crest.

Ganesh it was a great day out and thank you for organising the details. Saif it was great meeting you and thank you for leading the second convoy.

January 26, 2013 at 6:38 am #22493

It was nice Thursday morning and sand was wet due to fog. Everyone reached on time to meeting point well done guys. Everybody had radio except one car which was quite good. After Deflation drivers were breifed by Ganesh and Saif and Convoys were splitted in 2. I was 4th car in Saif’s feebee convoy. Drive started with good momentum, Saif FJ with 2 ATV flag looked beauty and was easy to spot from distance. In no time we reached fossil rock and played there some time and then headed for camel rock. Again we played there for some time and waited for newbee convoy. After that convoy started moving towards siddle point where Saif advised how to make approach and climb the dunes. Under Humayun’s super!!vision all cars reached on the top without any probelm.

Some nice photos were taken and then everyone voted to continue to drive to TAWI via pinkrock. Again everyone made their way down the siddle point under guidance of Saif and Humayun and convoy started moving, we few stucks with Prados which were well attended by Sanjay and Saif :ymapplause: :ymapplause: . As quite few time was lost due to recoiveries Marshals decided to skip pinkrock and convoy proceed to tramac via dunes and then to Tawi Nizwa for inflating.

In summary very good drive :drive: my entire family and specially two young boys enjoyed lot. Thanks lot Saif, Humayun, Ganesh, Sanjay, Zarir, Sayedbhai and all participants for puting great drive together.

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

January 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm #22505
    quote dhavalm:

It was nice Thursday morning and sand was wet due to fog. Everyone reached on time to meeting point well done guys. Everybody had radio except one car which was quite good. After Deflation drivers were breifed by Ganesh and Saif and Convoys were splitted in 2. I was 4th car in Saif’s feebee convoy. Drive started with good momentum, Saif FJ with 2 ATV flag looked beauty and was easy to spot from distance. In no time we reached fossil rock and played there some time and then headed for camel rock. Again we played there for some time and waited for newbee convoy. After that convoy started moving towards siddle point where Saif advised how to make approach and climb the dunes. Under Humayun’s super!!vision all cars reached on the top without any probelm.

Some nice photos were taken and then everyone voted to continue to drive to TAWI via pinkrock. Again everyone made their way down the siddle point under guidance of Saif and Humayun and convoy started moving, we few stucks with Prados which were well attended by Sanjay and Saif :ymapplause: :ymapplause: . As quite few time was lost due to recoiveries Marshals decided to skip pinkrock and convoy proceed to tramac via dunes and then to Tawi Nizwa for inflating.

In summary very good drive :drive: my entire family and specially two young boys enjoyed lot. Thanks lot Saif, Humayun, Ganesh, Sanjay, Zarir, Sayedbhai and all participants for puting great drive together.

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Nice concise report Mr Dhaval,

Its very refreshing to hear your entire family enjoyed the drive, so i guess my 1st lead was not a complete disaster :)) :))

I must say since your first drive with Dubai Offroaders in Sweihan I can see a great improvement in your driving skills, approach and confidence. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

its always a pleasure to have you on our trips & look forward to your continued enthusiam.

:thanks:

January 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm #22506
    quote thomasinasu:

Hello everyone

Thank you for Thursday’s drive, the initial part was a breeze due to the moisture in the sand and the resulting traction and we flew along the morning desert scenery. The second half once the sun was up and the moisture gone from the sand made the drive interesting with a bit of side sloping and going over the crest.

Ganesh it was a great day out and thank you for organising the details. Saif it was great meeting you and thank you for leading the second convoy.

IT was a pleasure driving with you Thomas…..will definitely look to up the drive level next time round to make it slightly more challenging as I felt this trip was a cake-walk for you. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

January 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm #22507

Aww…man I missed out on the Newbie drive. Sounds like you guys had fun.
    I’m definitely coming for the next Newbie drive :drive:

January 26, 2013 at 4:04 pm #22508
    quote :

Nice concise report Mr Dhaval,

Its very refreshing to hear your entire family enjoyed the drive, so i guess my 1st lead was not a complete disaster :)) :))

I must say since your first drive with Dubai Offroaders in Sweihan I can see a great improvement in your driving skills, approach and confidence. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

its always a pleasure to have you on our trips & look forward to your continued enthusiam.

Thanks Saif (Fauji Sir) for encouraging words.

Anonymous
    January 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm #22509
    quote tariq82:

I was in the NEW-BEE and it was my first drive in the desert. Imran helped me switch off my traction control and explained me the gear system of my Prado…. thanks bro

Most welcome anytime bro. AshrafKC guided me on my first drive, I’m just passing on the info he gave me. Hope you do the same for someone else…

January 26, 2013 at 7:59 pm #22511

well done to my friend and teacher , Saif for leading Thursday’s drive! Look forward to joining and learning even more from you (hope to get stuck less..oops!)

Just a couple of things i thought need to be addressed, especially as a newbee as we are all still learning,

1 – Always maintain distance from the car you are following

2 – Always wait for the car in front to clear the dune before approaching it yourself

Looking forward to next week already πŸ™‚

January 27, 2013 at 7:09 am #22513

Apologies for the late posting of this but was difficult to get on to the laptop at home after spending 2 days in the sands.

Firstly, congrats to Ganesh on his maiden lead. He did take some great lines and covered all major β€œtourist spots” from our world. Where required he would deviate to ensure the level was maintained at the level of the weakest member thus ensuring safety at all times.

Syed bhai – Thank you for the company at the sweep. It always helps in picking up some pointers from you.

Also congrats to Saif on his lead and happy to see Humayun back in the sand.

The drive details from both the convoys has been adequately covered in the reports so wont dwell too much on those aspects. Being at the sweep this time, it was a very different experience for me making me realize how important patience is in this game and also being able to observe each drivers skills and technique. Am taking the liberty in sharing my observations. A lot of new faces in the convoy (well new at least to me) so that was nice to see. What was even better was to see that 23 of the 24 cars between the 2 convoys had radios thus making communication a breeze.

David – When we started off in the drive, I was wondering how you would manage that monster of yours and who would be able to pull you should we need to. By the end of the day, I realized that you have properly tamed your beast and were driving very well.

Roshan – You were also driving well and need to believe in yourself. When you are stuck (or rather when you THINK you are stuck) try and walk around your car to see the larger picture. More often than not when you analyse the situation, you will see a potential solution to coming out.

Denis – Was driving quite well and knew his car as well which is also very important in driving well. Liked your willingness to help where required. Was unfortunate to see you go midway but then our jobs are always our priority. Drives will keep happening each weekend.

Eisa – Your first time in the sands. Congrats. For your first few drives, your mind will be playing tricks on you and these you will overcome with experience so don’t worry too much about you getting stuck. Try and analysis so you can avoid the same mistake. Please remember that in the sand, you have 2 dear friends helping you at all times at the appropriate time – Momentum and Gravity. Please do not fight them as they are your best friends in this dangerous sport, if used correctly.

Razik – Was great driving with you again. See you improving with each drive. Keep learning and you shall do well in skill and confidence.

Minaz & Friend – Both of you guys drove well. A few more drives as well as getting to know the car better will help you a lot.

Tariq – Your first time in the sand as well. Congrats. Although at times, you did not appear to be a complete novice and drove really well. Keep listening to the marshals to understand and you shall learn the trade real fast. Learn to control your braking / acceleration and use gravity to your advantage.

Ole – You are an old hand at this and was nice meeting you. Was nice to see your confidence in playing at the rear end of the convoy.

Imran – Super improvement from your very first drive with DO. I still remember that day as 15 minutes into the drive and your son requested to be moved to a moving car seeing the way you were getting stuck. This week I saw him enjoying himself in your car itself. A proud moment for you if I may say. Keep going and try to focus on getting the right speed for crest approaches. Great learning and improvement from back then my friend.

January 27, 2013 at 7:46 am #22514
    quote zarir:

Apologies for the late posting of this but was difficult to get on to the laptop at home after spending 2 days in the sands.

Firstly, congrats to Ganesh on his maiden lead. He did take some great lines and covered all major β€œtourist spots” from our world. Where required he would deviate to ensure the level was maintained at the level of the weakest member thus ensuring safety at all times.

Syed bhai – Thank you for the company at the sweep. It always helps in picking up some pointers from you.

Also congrats to Saif on his lead and happy to see Humayun back in the sand.

The drive details from both the convoys has been adequately covered in the reports so wont dwell too much on those aspects. Being at the sweep this time, it was a very different experience for me making me realize how important patience is in this game and also being able to observe each drivers skills and technique. Am taking the liberty in sharing my observations. A lot of new faces in the convoy (well new at least to me) so that was nice to see. What was even better was to see that 23 of the 24 cars between the 2 convoys had radios thus making communication a breeze.

David – When we started off in the drive, I was wondering how you would manage that monster of yours and who would be able to pull you should we need to. By the end of the day, I realized that you have properly tamed your beast and were driving very well.

Roshan – You were also driving well and need to believe in yourself. When you are stuck (or rather when you THINK you are stuck) try and walk around your car to see the larger picture. More often than not when you analyse the situation, you will see a potential solution to coming out.

Denis – Was driving quite well and knew his car as well which is also very important in driving well. Liked your willingness to help where required. Was unfortunate to see you go midway but then our jobs are always our priority. Drives will keep happening each weekend.

Eisa – Your first time in the sands. Congrats. For your first few drives, your mind will be playing tricks on you and these you will overcome with experience so don’t worry too much about you getting stuck. Try and analysis so you can avoid the same mistake. Please remember that in the sand, you have 2 dear friends helping you at all times at the appropriate time – Momentum and Gravity. Please do not fight them as they are your best friends in this dangerous sport, if used correctly.

Razik – Was great driving with you again. See you improving with each drive. Keep learning and you shall do well in skill and confidence.

Minaz & Friend – Both of you guys drove well. A few more drives as well as getting to know the car better will help you a lot.

Tariq – Your first time in the sand as well. Congrats. Although at times, you did not appear to be a complete novice and drove really well. Keep listening to the marshals to understand and you shall learn the trade real fast. Learn to control your braking / acceleration and use gravity to your advantage.

Ole – You are an old hand at this and was nice meeting you. Was nice to see your confidence in playing at the rear end of the convoy.

Imran – Super improvement from your very first drive with DO. I still remember that day as 15 minutes into the drive and your son requested to be moved to a moving car seeing the way you were getting stuck. This week I saw him enjoying himself in your car itself. A proud moment for you if I may say. Keep going and try to focus on getting the right speed for crest approaches. Great learning and improvement from back then my friend.

:thanks: Zarir Bhai will always keep the above mentioned in mind and will try my level best.

Anonymous
    January 27, 2013 at 8:48 am #22515
    quote zarir:

Hi Zarir. Thanks for the words of encouragement and confidence. Perhaps the driving improved knowing that I had a skilled sweep watching my back for me :thanks:

January 27, 2013 at 9:29 am #22516
    quote zarir:

Thanks for your comment Zarir πŸ™‚ We enjoyed the trip and looking fwd to drive with you and the other guys again.

January 27, 2013 at 10:16 am #22517
    quote zarir:

Was waiting for this before I comment on the drive πŸ™‚ Thanks a lot for the feedback, It matches perfectly my own feeling πŸ™‚

So far the best drive. Probably due to increased confidence. Have the car for only 3 months… hence after only 3 drives in sand still not 100% sure on it’s potential. Taking dunes with extra momentum not to get stuck, cause I hate to be towed… :-ss By the way, this might be an advise to all newbees – I see that most of them are “afraid” to “step on it” (well, not that I’m a marshal, just from my observation lol). Most of the stucks are due to lack of power delivered to the wheels IMO. I only have a rather big experience in driving in snow, technique is slightly different, but the feeling of the car is rather same.
    I think during my previous drive and this one I was tailgating a lot πŸ™‚ at least not flashing high beams πŸ˜‰ Sorry Roshan in case I was…
    Ganesh was a great leader, liked that when we couldnt keep up, he would search for alternative easier ways. Thanks for not letting our cars “sweat” and us “swear” :)) Subject to availability Im ready to join you next time with confidence.
    Thanks to the radio guidance (sorry, not sure who was giving it most of the times, my radio doesnt have CallerID hehe) – it was very helpful especially couple of times when I was blindly reversing #:-s
    The landscape was amazing, the sand was wet in the early morning, and rather soft later, so it was quite challenging, at least for me :ymcowboy:
    At one moment I have lost everyone from sight – Ganesh, David and Roshan were hiding behind a dune, and the others were rescuing Eisa, I guess, so had no idea who is where, but thanks to slightly overheating engine got to the top of a higher dune and found them all :ymparty: later all gathered there and we continued slicing the sand.
    Left the convoy 1 hour before the final destination, I was expecting that, my passenger had to make it to his office, hence couldnt continue, but, hey, the season is still on and I’m planning to make the most of it as much as I can. No regrets here.
    In fact I got so self-confident that I took my friend (he will join in next trip) to an easy off-roading basic experience and it was fun me showing off what I have learned πŸ™‚
    Thanks again to all for the cool drive, will surely meet again for another thrilling one πŸ™‚
    Cheers! :drive:

January 27, 2013 at 11:57 am #22521

Zarir – thank u for the encouragement and advice…

C u soon…

January 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm #22525
    quote zarir:

Thanks Zarir,

Kind words and I also thought the same on my first outing, well, it is safe to say that most probably think the same when my boat rocks up. By the way, I had someone correct me last weekend; “it’s not a boat, it is a SHIP!” so I was told.

Smooth sailing my DO friends, I am ready to go fishing for more fun. :drive:

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.