Radio & GPS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Hi guys,

Slowly getting there with my list of equipment; purchased mini compressor, tyre deflators & a shovel last week, now onto other stuff. Would like some guidance on what & where to buy;

RADIO
    – should I be looking for a fitted, CB-type or just a simple hand-held VHF’s?
    – what channels / frequencies will it need to access?
    – where to buy? Haven’t seen these around the ‘usual’ shops

GPS
    – Garmin would be a fairly simple choice, but does anyone have another preference?
    – what are the mapping features like here in the UAE? Are brands like Garmin accesible for update/downloading new maps?
    – as above, where to buy?

Again, many thanks in advance for the help

Cheers

July 29, 2012 at 6:52 am #18081

Hi Ian,

Please refer to the below topic regarding Radio and I am sure it will address most of your queries.
    http://www.dubaioffroadlive.local/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1453#p15757

Yes, Garmin will be the best choice. Look for a Garmin model compatible for offroad purpose having the minimum features of 1) direct routing, 2) Track logs 3) Track recording 4) Waypoints.

AMIT are the official dealers for Garmin in UAE and you can have more information @ http://www.amitdubai.net/

July 29, 2012 at 7:14 am #18082

Dear Kumar,

Thank you again for your assistance – a bit more shopping this weekend and I should be good to go!

Cheers!

July 29, 2012 at 8:40 am #18084

Hi Ian,

Further to Kumar’s post – if you carry the frequency print-out with you then the shop referred to therein shall even program all the frequencies for you.

Cheers

July 29, 2012 at 10:42 am #18092

Again, gentlemen, thank you for your advice.

Regards the programming of the radios, is it possible to do it myself or does it have to be completed by the vendor? I enjoy doing geeky things like that, so wouldn’t mind learning about the equipment and programming the freq’s in at home.

July 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm #18093

I programmed my quansheng myself. It turned out to be fairly easy to do. I don’t know for the other brands.

July 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm #18094

You can always program the frquencies yourself. There is no harm in that. Infact, it will be easier for the future because it gives you a chance to know your radio better. It was just a choice that G.Kumar offered as many people do not prefer to do everything themselves.

July 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm #18095
    quote Hamza:

You can always program the frquencies yourself. There is no harm in that. Infact, it will be easier for the future because it gives you a chance to know your radio better. It was just a choice that G.Kumar offered as many people do not prefer to do everything themselves.

Correction – it was a sensible suggestion from Tushar 🙂 – shortcut approach 😉

Its not a big deal to program the frequencies yourself. The “Chin-glish” user manuals are useful to some extend to understand the basic functions of the device. Rest is common sense to play around with the available options to program the right frequency.

When you attend your first drive, I will suggest to reach the meeting point little earlier to check the compatibility of your new radio with others (both in case of programmed by the shop or yourself). By then, if you have understood your device’s options, you can fine tune it, if required. Also you can seek the support of the seniors.

July 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm #18096

I absolutely agree with Kumar…..I have also faced the similar situation when i bought my new radio….and now its all set….Our seniors are defenitely a gr8 help….Thanks Kumar 🙂

July 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm #18097
    quote GKumar:

Correction – it was a sensible suggestion from Tushar 🙂 – shortcut approach 😉

Ahh, thanks for the correction. I missed the names while browsing on the BlackBerry 🙂

July 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm #18098

Again, great advice & thanks to all; I’ll go for programming it myself and get to know the unit better. Cheers guys!

July 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm #18099
    quote j3r3miah:

编程便宜的无线电按下启动按钮

输入通道的频率

July 30, 2012 at 3:17 am #18107

你们说中国人吗?

July 30, 2012 at 3:29 am #18109
    quote geraldpinto:

你们说中国人吗?

这是不对的中国格里

July 30, 2012 at 4:26 am #18113

&&&***(^^%$#$##@#%()))*(*(*&*&^$>><::””??{{_)((*&^^%%%$$

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.