24 August 2012 – Marathon Drive

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

I’m in for phase-2
    Been a while since I drove with Thanseer…looking forward.

Saif
    +971529229808

August 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm #18480

Enjoy..

August 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm #18481

Okay Thanseer…I too will join you…at Badayer for the run up to Al Faqa.
    Some recent modifications to be tested on the 2013 Lexus LX-570, so we will put her through her paces in this challenging terrain and temperature.

August 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm #18482

And me and Faateh miss the Lexus LX570 in our home desert! Damn sad.

It will be lots of fun!

August 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm #18484

I m in tentatively..

August 24, 2012 at 7:07 am #18487

sorry for no-show guys. my alarm deceived me. bummer :(( :(( :((

August 24, 2012 at 8:01 am #18488

Drive was going really well 😀 until a big lump of sand spoilt it X( ! The bumper seems to be fine – but the off-side wing has moved back about three millimetres and the passenger door won’t open properly :((

I stripped down the inside – removed the bolts – but no matter how hard i pushed it would not go back into place 🙁 🙁

Anyway the shurta are on their way now – looks like its going to be an isurance job – oh well, these things happen i guess! Hope the rest of the drive went ok for everyone else though…….see you next time!

August 24, 2012 at 8:37 am #18489

Very nice drive indeed. Good pace and we cover quite some distance.

Got a bit shaken up at the same spot where Andy’s FJ got hurt. Loud bang, bend number plate, flag fell off. And some plastic clips from the bungee spider which holds my stuff in the trunk in place snapped off. Could quickly recover the flag before it got run over by a big white FJ 🙂 No damage to the cherokee. Or at least not more visible damage then before. I love driving an old already beaten up car……. :p

August 24, 2012 at 11:08 am #18490

At least your car is ok Chris! I just went down to Jebel Ali Police station only for them to tell me to go back to the Police post at Lahbab! Anyway i now have my accident certificate!

Only a 2 hour round trip! X(

August 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm #18491

All the best Andy. Get it sorted out! Feel free to give the guys a call in case you need any advice 🙂

August 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm #18492

Thanks Hamza, i’m going to try to get it sorted tomorrow – hopefully it will be sorted by the next drive, Inshallah!

August 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm #18493
    quote Andy19:

Thanks Hamza, i’m going to try to get it sorted tomorrow – hopefully it will be sorted by the next drive, Inshallah!

Insha’Allah 🙂

August 25, 2012 at 5:10 am #18505

24 August 2012 – Marathon Drive
    Phase – I
    Drive Starts: 0600Hrs
    Drive Ends: 0900Hrs (Al Badayer)

Drive Type: Newbie + +, Intermediate
    Terrain: Tracks and Dunes

Phase – II
    Drive Starts: 0930Hrs (Al Badayer)
    Drive Ends: 1230Hrs (Al Faqa)

Drive Type: Intermediate
    Terrain: Dunes

All met Emarat Petrol pump at 5.45 am and drive started at 6.30 from Khatam, Excellent drive and lead by Thanseer,Second lead Saif, Krishnan,Andy,chris, amjed and sweep by Abudllah,

Drive was a very fast pace from Khatam to fossil rock, camel rock, saddle point and to Badayer and we reached badayer by 10 am.

The second phase started by 10.30 am after some refreshments, and were join by Ahmed bhai in Lexus, Gerry and Ganesh apart from the first phase drivers (Thanseer,saif,amjed and Abdullah)

The start was fun, high dunes, side crests and very soft sand. The drive was excellent with challenging dunes and very soft sand.

Had some stucks which were recovered by at a certain point were struggling to recover the stucks but recovered them.

At a point Gerry’s patrol refused to start but the whole team worked out and started back to AlFaqa as it was too late and the sun was torching very badly, everyone was exhusated and decided to exit at Shwhaib.

At Shwhaib petrol everyone filled up the petrol, inflated and headed back to Dubai.

It was really a memorable trip and a great experinence to learn .

We shuld rename the trip as “ BEAT THE HEAT”

Look forward to see u all again very soon.

August 25, 2012 at 5:27 am #18506

The second phase of the marathon drive…..I joined the group at 9 am at Badayer along with Jerry and Ahmed Sir who had come with Mr.Irfan in his Lexus….Andy, Chris & Krishnan left after the 1st Phase and Thanseer guided us for the lovely drive…The drive started exactly at 10am….The climate was just awesome as it indicates the arrival of the winter season….Throughout the drive it was maintaining a balance of 38 degrees….

The drive was just unimaginable….a perfect intermediate or maybe a little bit of advance drive i should say….Thanseer was the lead followed by Mr. Ahmed/ Mr.Irfan, Saif, myself, Amjed, Gerry and the “Superman” of the club….Mr. Abdullah (Dune Rider) 😀 ….Initally the drive was very good….full pace…with all sorts of the tricks and turns…with some self recoverable minor stuck-ups.

The sand at some places were toooooooooooooooooooo soft and at one place we all were trying to climb a particular hill which Thanseer cleared after a couple of attempts but when Mr. Irfan tried his luck…couldnt complete and he got stuck….he tried his best to come out of it and when he came down got stuck again in a pocket 😮 😮 …..where he hit his front bumper a bit and we spent little time in recovering the lexus out….

Then we all started to proceed when at one stage myself and Amjed were lost for a moment and when we tried to reach back to the convoy….i got stuck and was successfully pulled out by Amjed with the marshal guidance by Saif :ymapplause: :ymapplause: …

When we reached the convoy, we see that Gerry’s car had given up and it was not starting at all @-) @-) 😮 …..Gerry had used his winch to pull out the stuck cars for three times already….so it was so much power that his car had already thrown out…bcoz of which it was not starting….Brilliant work and expertise by Abdullah and his companion :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: to work on Gerry’s car and it started off after a lot of time spent there….the problem was with the fuse….

Our next task was to rescue the lead who was also stuck in very bad position in a small bowl 🙁 ….First we thought we can oull him out from behind…but his car had already swallowed a lot of bush at the rear….and pulling him from the front side was defenitely a lot to ask for….the car was not moving an inch….the other side of the bowl was a slope…

When we reached the point to rescue the lead…..Gerry’ car once again gave up and again we spent some time to start his car….and then we thought instead of using his winch again and face another problem…it was better to use the rope to pull the car out….Gerry car was in the incline position and the rope got tight between the cars and Gerry was not able to move…..Mr. Irfan was called behind Gerry to pull him now…but no success…

Finally Mr. Amed thought we better cut off the rope to free the two cars….and then before we do that….as i said earlier, our “superman” Abdullah came and we tied one moer rope to his car and he pulled out the car in one go right upto the slope….that was indeed a powerfull act….Abdullah u defenitely deserve a ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Finally Mr. Ahmed decided to take all of us back to road….Initially the drive was to end at Al Faqah, but then we reached Shwaib at around 4pm…..

Apart from the stuck-up and other issues, the drive was very very good….Thanks to the lead for the excellent drive…
    Great convoy discipline and good team work by all in every difficult postion we were in…..

Thank you Ahmed Sir, Saif and Thanseer for the experience we had today as all these difficult situations makes a offroader learn lessons of recovery…..

The pictures will be in gallery as well as the facebook page very shortly……

See you all for the next drive, till then drive safe…..cheers

Name:Badayer to Shwaib
    Date:24 Aug 2012 10:01 am
    Map:
    (valid until Feb 20, 2013)
    View on Map
    Distance:52.6 kilometers
    Elapsed Time:1:50:59
    Avg Speed:28.5 km/h
    Max Speed:111.7 km/h
    Avg Pace: 2′ 06″ per km
    Min Altitude:177 m
    Max Altitude:307 m
    Start Time:2012-08-24T06:01:24Z
    Start Location:
    Latitude:24º 57′ 06″ N
    Longitude:55º 43′ 07″ E
    End Location:
    Latitude:24º 44′ 29″ N
    Longitude:55º 48′ 03″ E

August 25, 2012 at 8:43 am #18523
    quote Chris:

Very nice drive indeed. Good pace and we cover quite some distance.

Got a bit shaken up at the same spot where Andy’s FJ got hurt. Loud bang, bend number plate, flag fell off. And some plastic clips from the bungee spider which holds my stuff in the trunk in place snapped off. Could quickly recover the flag before it got run over by a big white FJ 🙂 No damage to the cherokee. Or at least not more visible damage then before. I love driving an old already beaten up car……. :p

There is nothing like old or new car. It’s all depend upon driving style. These are all process of learning. Mine was brand new Pajero. Nothing happened to it. Pajeros are famous in damaging the both bumpers. Ganesh also driving with Pajero. Nothing happened to him too… After some more drives you guys will be perfect to save the vehicles.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.