Adventurous Drive to Liwa on 7th & 8th of February 2014.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

The much awaited open Liwa trip is finally here… The trip is open to all members to that mother of all deserts the Rub Al Khaali…meaning The Empty Quarter…in plain English!!!

The Rub’ al Khali (Arabic: الربع الخالي‎) or Empty Quarter is one of the largest sand deserts in the world, encompassing most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula, including southern Saudi Arabia, and areas of Oman, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The desert covers some 650,000 square kilometers , Liwa Oasis is about 100 km south of the Arabian Gulf coast and 150 km SSW of the city of Abu Dhabi, on the northern edge of Rub’ al Khali desert and stretches about 100 km east-west, along an arch curved to the north.

The geographic and economic center of the oasis is Mizair’a, where the highway from Abu Dhabi enters the oasis and then divides to the east (65 km to the easternmost village, Mahdar Bin `Usayyan) and west (45 km to the westernmost village, `Aradah).

The villages of Liwa Oasis are the southernmost settlements of Abu Dhabi and of the United Arab Emirates. The southern border of Abu Dhabi with Saudi Arabia, which runs at a distance between 16 and 35 km to the Oasis, is a straight line in the Rub al Khali desert, which is largely uninhabited.
    There is a beautiful video shot by Ole Andre Vilnes, one of our members, which aptly captures and portrays the essence of this beautiful desert.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W2t_2N7WmU[/media]

Day and date : Friday, the 7th of February 2014- Saturday, the 8th of February 2014.

Drive Type : Open to all members, Families are specially encouraged to join as it will be a nice picturesque adventure.
    Meeting Point : Emarat Jebel Ali on Dubai Abu Dhabi Highway, E11 or Shaikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Road, just after the Jebel Ali Free Zone.
    [map]24.94116,55.04219(Emarat Petrol Pump)[/map]
    Meeting Time : 08:15 am
    Drive Start: 08:30 am
    PLEASE SWITCH YOUR RADIOS (WALKIE TALKIE) ON AND ON CHANNEL 4 ONCE YOU REACH THE MEETING POINT. THIS WILL HELP US GET IN TOUCH AND STREAMLINE THE ASSEMBLY AND DEPARTURE.
    Drive Terrain: Beautiful Picturesque Terrain of Rub Al Khali.
    Duration: We will have a longish tarmac drive that will take us from the meeting point to the desert entrance point, we will then have a long desert drive till sunset, we will then camp & make merry & depart in the morning for another day in the sands and upon completion of the desert section we will inflate the tyres & head back home to arrive in Dubai / Sharjah by late evening.

Checklist:-
    a) Ensure your 4 x 4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    b) Compatible Radio.
    c) Carry all necessary offroad gears, in good condition.
    d) Carry enough Food/ water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

Please read the following and register for the drive:-
    Equipments that one needs to carry for offroading
    Rules Of The Trip
    Dubai Offroaders – Disclaimer

This is a family Outing & all Dubai Offroaders members are welcome to Join.
    Please register your intent to participate in the drive here.
    Please make sure that your vehicle is fully prepared for an expedition type drive with complete recovery kit etc. and that it is fully serviceable with recovery points front & aft.
    This will be an overnight trip with a camp out in the desert and the night is going to be severely cold with chances of a fog which will condense overnight and drench everything as if it has rained. All the members are thus advised to come prepared with proper warm clothing and camping equipment including a waterproof tent and proper/ warm sleeping bags and/or blankets.
    The members should come prepared with sufficient food & drinks for the full day’s drive along with the evening BBQ, as we WILL NOT encounter any place to replenish supplies on the way, once we start the Drive.
    The total off Road drive section on the two day drive is expected to be about 150kms.+ but we will be able to access LIMITED provisions & Petrol on the morning of the 2nd day prior to the beginning of the Drive.
    You may also carry BBQ Equipment & food if you want to cook the food at the evening camp.
    Please carry at least 2 bundles of wood per Car for the Overnight Camp bonfire.
    This will be an excellent opportunity for photography enthusiasts to take some unbelievably beautiful natural sandscapes…so keep your cameras ready…too!!!!

Not all those who wander are lost

Ahmad Pervez
    050 6534953

January 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm #28801

Cant wait for the 7th!
    Always wanted to go to الربع الخالي‎ !

January 27, 2014 at 4:51 am #28802

I wish you would be doing this one week later.. 🙁 It’s a pity that I am travelling and we can not join.. :((

January 27, 2014 at 5:55 am #28803

Ahmad Sahab, is it possible to join the convoy on Friday morning? I could catch up with you in Mezai’ra at the Liwa Guest House or at Moreeb, wherever the starting point be. Please advise.

January 27, 2014 at 9:16 am #28805
    quote Saj:

Ahmad Sahab, is it possible to join the convoy on Friday morning? I could catch up with you in Mezai’ra at the Liwa Guest House or at Moreeb, wherever the starting point be. Please advise.

Sajid, The drive commences on Friday the 7th of February itself from Emarat Jebel Ali.

January 27, 2014 at 10:39 am #28807
    quote Ahmad Pervez:

quote Saj:

Sajid, The drive commences on Friday the 7th of February itself from Emarat Jebel Ali.

My bad for not presenting the full picture. I am planning to travel to Madinay Zayed on Thursday, Feb 6th to visit relatives. The Liwa guest house is approx 60 kms from their place. That’s why I was asking if I could catch up with you guys on Friday morning around 11:00 am.

January 27, 2014 at 2:09 pm #28810
    quote Ahmad Pervez:

quote Saj:

That is indeed possible, you can join the convoy at about 11 at the entry point. I will PM you the co-ordinates for the same.

January 28, 2014 at 6:17 am #28817

That is indeed possible, you can join the convoy at about 11 at the entry point. I will PM you the co-ordinates for the same.[/quote]

Thank you Ahmad Sahab. :thanks:

January 28, 2014 at 6:32 am #28818

Good morning Mr. Ahmed, is it ok to change drivers for some time. Maybe if a certain stretch is plain or relatively easy for a Newbee.

January 28, 2014 at 7:59 am #28819
    quote leo.austrian:

Good morning Mr. Ahmed, is it ok to change drivers for some time. Maybe if a certain stretch is plain or relatively easy for a Newbee.

This is a Newbie/ Learner’s Drive so anybody with a UAE driver’s licence can drive.
    In a rated drive, where supposing only 2 star drivers are permitted to drive, it is ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN for anybody else to drive the car.
    The star rating and grading of drives according to the driver skills is solely for the safety of THAT driver and the passengers in that car.
    Offroading, as we all know, is an extreme adventure sport and any non compliance with this rule could result in serious injury or death.
    Period.

January 29, 2014 at 8:10 am #28825

Hi Guys!

I’m a complete NEWBIE and i’m looking forward to take my FJ Cruiser down to Empty Quarter.

I have 1 big question from my side, I am supposed to change tires around now, thinking on buying the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 265/70 R17.
    My current Dunlop GrandTrek AT22 265/70 R17 are now with 80K but they are still fairly good.

My Question:
    From your own experience, can i use my current Dunlop Tires in the desert or should i buy new ones before i go on the Drive to Liwa?

Kindest Regards

January 29, 2014 at 9:22 am #28826

Hi this is Artur & Paulina, that joined this great club for a ride last weekend. We completed our equipment inventory and got the walkie-talkie.
    We would love to join the trip to Liwa and have 2 questions:
    – can we bring 2 passengers with us in our car (Jeep Wrangler)?
    – since we are coming from Abu Dhabi, would the entry point be better for us?
    Many thanks!

January 29, 2014 at 9:57 am #28827
    quote Berenguer:

Hi Guys!

I’m a complete NEWBIE and i’m looking forward to take my FJ Cruiser down to Empty Quarter.

I have 1 big question from my side, I am supposed to change tires around now, thinking on buying the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 265/70 R17.
    My current Dunlop GrandTrek AT22 265/70 R17 are now with 80K but they are still fairly good.

My Question:
    From your own experience, can i use my current Dunlop Tires in the desert or should i buy new ones before i go on the Drive to Liwa?

Kindest Regards

My friend…this is going to 400 kms drive by road to the starting point one way and then minimum 100kms drive in desert for 2 days..in total it will be close about to 1000km. If you are confident that the tires are good then no need to change. My suggestion would be that you check with any professional tyre shop and they can confirm you. (one such professional where myself and few other Marshall do wheel alignment is Al Shami Trading (Tyre Plus) in UMM Ramool Rashidiya.

Also when you are about to change the tyre, go for Michelin and you will feel the difference..

January 29, 2014 at 10:02 am #28828
    quote Artur Loza:

Hi this is Artur & Paulina, that joined this great club for a ride last weekend. We completed our equipment inventory and got the walkie-talkie.
    Many thanks!

Hi Artur & Paulina,

No Issues. YOu can bring the passengers in your car. Since you are from Abu Dhabi you can join the convoy some where near Shahama or closest point enroute to LIWA. We can decide this one or 2 days before the trip.

January 29, 2014 at 6:25 pm #28832
    quote khshareef:

quote Artur Loza:

Many thanks!

Hi Artur & Paulina,
    No Issues. YOu can bring the passengers in your car. Since you are from Abu Dhabi you can join the convoy some where near Shahama or closest point enroute to LIWA. We can decide this one or 2 days before the trip.

All those joining us from Abu Dhabi should assemble and wait at the Mafraq Adnoc with their Radio (Walkie Talkie) on at Channel 4 at 09:30am, they can join the convoy directly. we will update them as we will approach the Adnoc and they can join us directly from there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.