Adventurous Drive to Liwa on 7th & 8th of February 2014.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Count me in please. Thanks.

February 3, 2014 at 4:26 pm #28920
    quote Dev:

Count me in please. Thanks.

Dev, please click on the “Register for Trip” button in the first post.

February 3, 2014 at 7:27 pm #28922

Done, thanks.

February 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm #28939

Hey guys looking forward to meeting you all on the liwa trip…big thank you going out to Mr Parvez for organizing this extensive getaway i have been waiting for all year long!

February 6, 2014 at 8:53 am #28960

Since we have newbies and fewbies on this trip, I would like to request members to adhere to the following at the campsite :

1.Kindly walk around with shoes at all times.
    2.Please check your shoes before wearing them once you take them off. Do not put your hands inside but just shake them up thoroughly. Better still, keep your shoes inside the tent in the night.
    3.Please ensure that you keep your tents zipped up at all times whether you are inside it or outside to ensure no unwanted guests creep in.

Drive safe and have fun. See you all tomorrow 🙂

February 6, 2014 at 9:47 am #28966
    quote Saj:

Since we have newbies and fewbies on this trip, I would like to request members to adhere to the following at the campsite :

1.Kindly walk around with shoes at all times.
    2.Please check your shoes before wearing them once you take them off. Do not put your hands inside but just shake them up thoroughly. Better still, keep your shoes inside the tent in the night.
    3.Please ensure that you keep your tents zipped up at all times whether you are inside it or outside to ensure no unwanted guests creep in.

Drive safe and have fun. See you all tomorrow 🙂

Very Valid Points major.. :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

In addition, pls carry torch light and check your surroundings before you go want to for relaxing activities…

February 6, 2014 at 10:02 am #28967

Hi, this will be my first drive with your group, certainly not first in the desert though. How does it work – do you put out names of all those who are on this drive and also those of marshals/ drive leaders etc on a single page , say close to EOD today? It’d be useful to know how many cars are we looking at and how do they go – is there 1 large convoy or smaller teams that make one large convoy? If smaller teams, which team am I in and who are the team leaders? Also, assuming that you guys will have some sort of basic first aid kit on board for this drive. Could you also confirm if a full tank on LC200 is good for the entire drive! Thanks.

February 6, 2014 at 10:03 am #28968

Hi just wanted to confirm the meeting point for cars from Abu Dhabi: Mafraq ADNOC, ON E22 AD-Al Ain, 9:30 am.
    Thanks, Artur

Attachments:

February 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm #28969

No!!!! ADNOC Mafraq is on the Silla Road very close to the Mafraq Hotel/ Mafraq Hospital. Please refer to the map.

[map]24.35531,54.64488(Adnoc Petrol Station. Mafraq. Abu Dhabi. UAE.)[/map]

All those who are joining in from Abu Dhabi, please switch on your radios and keep them on Channel 4

February 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm #28970
    quote Dev:

Hi, this will be my first drive with your group, certainly not first in the desert though. How does it work – do you put out names of all those who are on this drive and also those of marshals/ drive leaders etc on a single page , say close to EOD today? It’d be useful to know how many cars are we looking at and how do they go – is there 1 large convoy or smaller teams that make one large convoy? If smaller teams, which team am I in and who are the team leaders? Also, assuming that you guys will have some sort of basic first aid kit on board for this drive. Could you also confirm if a full tank on LC200 is good for the entire drive! Thanks.

Valid point! As a newbie, i also have the same questions.
    I guess we will define them tomorrow before entering the desert, but if before it always help!

February 6, 2014 at 5:23 pm #28973

We will go in one convoy since this is a learners drive. There are a number of experienced drivers in the convoy who will be interspersed between the less experienced drivers.
    It is extremely discourteous to make the whole convoy to wait for one car and it is not possible to hold the whole convoy so please make sure that we all reach the meeting point on time.
    Please switch on your walkie talkies (radios) and tune them to channel 4 and await instructions, upon reaching the meeting point.

February 6, 2014 at 5:40 pm #28974

I can’t join this one 🙁 you guys have a good trip!

February 9, 2014 at 2:38 am #28984
    February 9, 2014 at 6:39 am #28985

A learner’s drive to Liwa…. 😕

It is one thing to think of taking a bunch of newbies to Liwa and another thing altogether to go ahead and pull it off.
    It requires guts and a brave man to do this and hats off to Ahmad Sahab for executing this challenging drive with a couple of absolute first time drivers in the sand and that too in Liwa, the mother of all deserts! ^:)^ ^:)^

We were thirteen cars that gathered at the meeting point and proceeded towards Mafraq Adnoc to pick up another companion, Arturo from Abu Dhabi.
    We continued our journey on the tarmac to the last fueling point on the Sahil Road, taking a gatch track towards the deflation point.

The signs were ominous :-ss and it was on the gatch track that Arturo complained about a rattling noise from under his car. We took a stop to diagnose the cause of the rattle and a patch-up job was done and we headed to the deflation point where the rest of the convoy was waiting for us. We had two stucks right at the deflation point even before we had begun our off-road journey :ymdevil: . Bearing in mind that we didn’t have a winch and the competencies of the drivers in the convoy, the chief marshal decided to play it safe and took a relatively easy track with a couple of challenges thrown in for the convoy. The chief avoided the long climbs but did take us through some steep falls 😀 . We had the usual stucks and pop-outs on the way and as the convoy was progressing, the members were gaining confidence.

A huge bowl was picked out by Ahmad Sahab as our camping site. Everyone set-up camp and took a well deserved break. The bbq pits were lit-up and we had a bonfire going and all members sat around it creating a lovely atmosphere. :ymparty: This is where we did a nationality count and were delighted to discover that we had a very diverse and multicultural group. The group had members from China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Germany, India, Moldova, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Ukraine and last but not the least, our very own Emirati. We had our dinner and regular chit-chat session and our Emirati friend, Saleh kept us all in good spirits with his wise cracks and we all called it a day after a while. I-)

We woke up next morning and had breakfast and the customary karak chai and egg bhurji from Leo, Stanley and friends. I would like to make a special mention of the effort and the pain that Leo, Stanley and their friends go through at every overnight trip to offer everyone the life-saving karak chai in the middle of nowhere. :thanks:

We were ready to start our second day adventure. The instructions from the chief were that we will proceed to Hameem Adnoc, fuel up and start with the level of the drive going up. What a treacherous terrain we ventured into which had extremely soft sand and tricky slip faces. The stucks and recoveries got more difficult and eventually a decision was taken to head out to an easier route and find our way to the exit. We drove very little in the sands on the second day but I am sure it must have given everyone a fair bit of idea of what Liwa is all about. :-s We proceeded to the nearest tarmac following a gatch track and inflated. Everybody said their goodbyes and headed home.

The convoy discipline and management during recoveries could have been better but that is a lesson learnt for another day.

Thanks Ahmad Sahab for leading this drive and Faheem for sweeping duties. Thanks to Mehboob for the second lead and Ayan for recoveries. :thanks:

Off-roading is not only about driving but also about discovering places, making new friends, bonding with old ones, good times and memories.

Till we meet again.

Regards
    Sajid

February 9, 2014 at 7:02 am #28987
    quote Saj:

A learner’s drive to Liwa…. 😕

It is one thing to think of taking a bunch of newbies to Liwa and another thing altogether to go ahead and pull it off.
    It requires guts and a brave man to do this and hats off to Ahmad Sahab for executing this challenging drive with a couple of absolute first time drivers in the sand and that too in Liwa, the mother of all deserts! ^:)^ ^:)^

We were thirteen cars that gathered at the meeting point and proceeded towards Mafraq Adnoc to pick up another companion, Arturo from Abu Dhabi.
    We continued our journey on the tarmac to the last fueling point on the Sahil Road, taking a gatch track towards the deflation point.

The signs were ominous :-ss and it was on the gatch track that Arturo complained about a rattling noise from under his car. We took a stop to diagnose the cause of the rattle and a patch-up job was done and we headed to the deflation point where the rest of the convoy was waiting for us. We had two stucks right at the deflation point even before we had begun our off-road journey :ymdevil: . Bearing in mind that we didn’t have a winch and the competencies of the drivers in the convoy, the chief marshal decided to play it safe and took a relatively easy track with a couple of challenges thrown in for the convoy. The chief avoided the long climbs but did take us through some steep falls 😀 . We had the usual stucks and pop-outs on the way and as the convoy was progressing, the members were gaining confidence.

A huge bowl was picked out by Ahmad Sahab as our camping site. Everyone set-up camp and took a well deserved break. The bbq pits were lit-up and we had a bonfire going and all members sat around it creating a lovely atmosphere. :ymparty: This is where we did a nationality count and were delighted to discover that we had a very diverse and multicultural group. The group had members from China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Germany, India, Moldova, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Ukraine and last but not the least, our very own Emirati. We had our dinner and regular chit-chat session and our Emirati friend, Saleh kept us all in good spirits with his wise cracks and we all called it a day after a while. I-)

We woke up next morning and had breakfast and the customary karak chai and egg bhurji from Leo, Stanley and friends. I would like to make a special mention of the effort and the pain that Leo, Stanley and their friends go through at every overnight trip to offer everyone the life-saving karak chai in the middle of nowhere. :thanks:

We were ready to start our second day adventure. The instructions from the chief were that we will proceed to Hameem Adnoc, fuel up and start with the level of the drive going up. What a treacherous terrain we ventured into which had extremely soft stand and tricky slip faces. The stucks and recoveries got more difficult and eventually a decision was taken to head out to an easier route and find our way to the exit. We drove very little in the sands on the second day but I am sure it must have given everyone a fair bit of idea of what Liwa is all about. :-s We proceeded to the nearest tarmac following a gatch track and inflated. Everybody said their goodbyes and headed home.

The convoy discipline and management during recoveries could have been better but that is a lesson learnt for another day.

Thank Ahmad Sahab for leading this drive and Faheem for sweeping duties. Thanks to Mehboob for the second lead and Ayan for recoveries. :thanks:

Off-roading is not only about driving but also about discovering places, making new friends, bonding with old ones, good times and memories.

Till we meet again.

Regards
    Sajid

What a Trip Report…Excellent….I had the feeling of being with you on the drive…Sadly HAD to miss this one due to some family commitments..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.