ALL LEVEL DRIVE-FRIDAY 18TH SEPTEMBER

• Author

Day and date: Friday 18th September

Drive Type: NEWBIE,FEWBIE,INTER DRIVE , 2/3 separate Convoys, depending on the total number of registrations.

Meeting Point: 24.917509, 55.741449
    Google maps users (just copy and paste in Google maps):
    GPS users: N 24 55.051 E55 44.487
    After passing badayer shops, take the second right that appears in about 4Kms and drive down straight down that road till you reach the meeting point.

Meeting Time: 15.15
    Drive Start: 15.30
    Drive End: Sunset
    Duration: 3 Hours approximately.

Drive Terrain: Tall dunes to short technical ones, just expect sand, everywhere. :drive:

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure it’s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

September 13, 2015 at 4:34 am #33770

Hey Guys,

This will be my first time driving in the desert! I’m really looking forward to it!

Dan

September 13, 2015 at 12:57 pm #33774
    quote Dan:

Hey Guys,

This will be my first time driving in the desert! I’m really looking forward to it!

Dan

Good to have you on-board, See u on friday! :drive:

September 17, 2015 at 7:43 pm #33788

First timer. Be gentle…

September 18, 2015 at 10:09 am #33789

Mubeer, pajero

September 18, 2015 at 4:36 pm #33790

Learnt a great lesson today. Never to go for the desert drive when fasting. I was eager to join this drive as next few weeks I won’t be able to join due shift work. I nearly passed out just after a tricky recovery. Possibly due dehydration. Broke the fast and drank lots of water and had some sugar fix too. Many thanks to Yohan, Abdallah , Avinash and Matthew. I rested nearly 45 mins after Abdallah drove me to safety before I drove home. Lesson learnt the hard way. My experience today proved that DO is a great fraternity.

September 19, 2015 at 5:00 pm #33791

Friday’s drive was a very smooth and quick paced event for the intermediate convoy :drive: . Yohan was leading the way and Avinash/Abdalla and I were sweeping with assistance as needed. We did have a rather tricky and technical recovery right out of the gate. Abdarrahman, as he pointed out, saw his Patrol stuck and sloping precariously on a small dune :-SS . Trying to self-recover only ended up digging the tires in deeper. After digging much of the sand away from the downward tires, Avinash was able to pull him free with a couple of reverse tugs and finally a couple of foward tugs. Feeling a bit worked as described above, Abdallah drove Abdarrahman back to the starting point. Glad to hear you finally regained your strength and felt better :-BD . Don’t be discouraged from this and we will look forward to seeing you back out in the dunes shortly (with food in your stomach, of course ~O) ). Carrying on from this, we had a great ride that saw our small convoy zipping up, on top, over, and down dunes of various sizes and shapes :drive: . Yohan, our fearless leader, had everyone chasing him in his zippy pajero as he wound its engine fast and far up the dunes \M/ . We took a couple of breaks throughout the trip to enjoy the setting sun, vast sea of dunes, and friendly chit-chat. Many areas of our trip saw us cross paths with several other convoys and safari cars. Tracks criss-crossed all over the desert and at some points caused havoc for us to decipher, which tracks we should be following. Towards the end of the trip I was gifted with a pop-out, which took a bit of wind out of the sails but we were able to quickly fix it after using 1, 2, and finally a third trolly jack to get my Prado lifted. Thanks, Abdalla, Avinash, and Yohan for the hand getting that sorted :thanks: . As the sun began to fully set, we headed to our destination arriving at the Badayer shops from the backside of Big Red. We had a bit of talk to recollect the great ride and fill up our tires. Thanks for great ride, Yohan and to Avinash and Abdalla for the steady hand of assistance when needed. :thanks: :thanks:

While we were having small talk before heading home, Yohan received a call from Joe/Saif to say that the newbie convoy was still several kilometers from their exit point in the dunes. As night had already fallen, the challenges of getting out had risen. Avinash, Abdalla, and I all jumped in Avinash’s car to head out to find them and assist in driving to the exit point. Abdalla did a fabulous job at the wheel to navigate the night dunes :drive: and after about 10 or 15 minutes we met up with the newbie convoy :yesss: . We all continued towards the exit point together with a few small recoveries here and there. I know it was Dan’s/Marine’s and Shahid’s first time in the desert yesterday so you guys gets bonus points for doing a night drive on your first time in the desert. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: ^:)^ ^:)^

It was another great DO ride and glad to hear everyone is safe and sound and probably still dreaming of turns up and down the dunes with sand flying over your wind screen. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Until the next one!!

Matt

September 19, 2015 at 7:02 pm #33792

Amazing trip report Mathew.. Yes as mathew said it was an amazing and drive .. Our convey had big dunes and nice slide slopes to do and all the members drove really well ..

September 20, 2015 at 3:50 am #33793

I really miss the trip, I took my family with me ….late to reach….

September 20, 2015 at 2:55 pm #33794

Great first time trip. A big thanks to Yohan and Tommy.

September 21, 2015 at 12:13 pm #33809
    quote matthewficco:

Friday’s drive was a very smooth and quick paced event for the intermediate convoy :drive: . Yohan was leading the way and Avinash/Abdalla and I were sweeping with assistance as needed. We did have a rather tricky and technical recovery right out of the gate. Abdarrahman, as he pointed out, saw his Patrol stuck and sloping precariously on a small dune :-SS . Trying to self-recover only ended up digging the tires in deeper. After digging much of the sand away from the downward tires, Avinash was able to pull him free with a couple of reverse tugs and finally a couple of foward tugs. Feeling a bit worked as described above, Abdallah drove Abdarrahman back to the starting point. Glad to hear you finally regained your strength and felt better :-BD . Don’t be discouraged from this and we will look forward to seeing you back out in the dunes shortly (with food in your stomach, of course ~O) ). Carrying on from this, we had a great ride that saw our small convoy zipping up, on top, over, and down dunes of various sizes and shapes :drive: . Yohan, our fearless leader, had everyone chasing him in his zippy pajero as he wound its engine fast and far up the dunes \M/ . We took a couple of breaks throughout the trip to enjoy the setting sun, vast sea of dunes, and friendly chit-chat. Many areas of our trip saw us cross paths with several other convoys and safari cars. Tracks criss-crossed all over the desert and at some points caused havoc for us to decipher, which tracks we should be following. Towards the end of the trip I was gifted with a pop-out, which took a bit of wind out of the sails but we were able to quickly fix it after using 1, 2, and finally a third trolly jack to get my Prado lifted. Thanks, Abdalla, Avinash, and Yohan for the hand getting that sorted :thanks: . As the sun began to fully set, we headed to our destination arriving at the Badayer shops from the backside of Big Red. We had a bit of talk to recollect the great ride and fill up our tires. Thanks for great ride, Yohan and to Avinash and Abdalla for the steady hand of assistance when needed. :thanks: :thanks:

While we were having small talk before heading home, Yohan received a call from Joe/Saif to say that the newbie convoy was still several kilometers from their exit point in the dunes. As night had already fallen, the challenges of getting out had risen. Avinash, Abdalla, and I all jumped in Avinash’s car to head out to find them and assist in driving to the exit point. Abdalla did a fabulous job at the wheel to navigate the night dunes :drive: and after about 10 or 15 minutes we met up with the newbie convoy :yesss: . We all continued towards the exit point together with a few small recoveries here and there. I know it was Dan’s/Marine’s and Shahid’s first time in the desert yesterday so you guys gets bonus points for doing a night drive on your first time in the desert. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: ^:)^ ^:)^

It was another great DO ride and glad to hear everyone is safe and sound and probably still dreaming of turns up and down the dunes with sand flying over your wind screen. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Until the next one!!

Matt

Great drive report Matt, feels like i re-lived that day!

Thanks for sharing your experience and keep up the great spirit :drive:

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.