ALL LEVEL DRIVE ON FRIDAY THE 1st OF JANUARY 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Day and date: FRIDAY THE 1st OF JANUARY 2016
    Drive Type: ALL LEVELS NEWBIE/ FEWBIE & INTERMEDIATE
    Meeting Point: BEHIND AL AWEER PALACE
    Google maps users (just copy and paste in Google maps):
    25.165079, 55.569511
    GPS users: N25 09.905 E55 34.170
    Meeting Time: 14:15 Hrs.
    Drive Start: 14:30 Hrs.
    Drive End: 17:30Hrs.
    Duration: 3 Hours
    Drive Route: Relaxing, picturesque drive from Al Aweer up to Al Faya
    Drive Terrain: Dune after Dune…in lots of Sand

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure itโ€™s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

December 30, 2015 at 8:21 am #34542

After a Long gap, am IN. Waiting to see u all :drive:

December 30, 2015 at 9:45 am #34543

Same! A long gap and can’t wait to try out my new tires!

Anonymous
    December 30, 2015 at 1:20 pm #34544

Unfortunately out of country. Enjoy the drive guys and wishing u all a happy new year with lots of happiness and offroading ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€

December 30, 2015 at 2:59 pm #34545
    quote duli:

Unfortunately out of country. Enjoy the drive guys and wishing u all a happy new year with lots of happiness and offroading ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a safe and wonderful journey and May every day of the NEW YEAR glow with good cheer & happiness for you & your family.
    Happy New Year

December 30, 2015 at 9:28 pm #34551

This will be my first trip with DO and second offroad drive of my life.
    I am really excited and waiting for the big day.

December 31, 2015 at 6:29 am #34554

I’m in! Would be my first drive, looking forward to it, very excited

December 31, 2015 at 6:33 am #34555

i wanna come :(( but already invited to friends patty…
    Considering how to escape from party and :drive:
    Happy New Year mates :ymparty:

December 31, 2015 at 2:43 pm #34560

Looking forward to “the hangover drive” see you guys

December 31, 2015 at 4:12 pm #34561

What more can one ask for on the first day of the year other than the sand, wind and the freedom …!!!! This should be fun, especially since a couple of us would still be “recovering”;)

January 1, 2016 at 6:51 am #34563

Happy New Year to everyone. May You and Your family have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year ahead.
    I will not be able to join the drive as I have some family commitments. Enjoy the drive guys.

January 1, 2016 at 4:44 pm #34564

I could not have thought of a better way to spend New Year’s Day afternoon :yesss: I intentionally did not party too much on NYE so that I would be in good form for this drive and it was a great decision :ymparty: . We had a large turnout for the drive. I do not know exactly but somewhere around 25 cars. Ahmad and Baher led a newbie convoy. Joe led the fewbee convoy (for which I had the honor to support as sweeper). Abdalla led the intermediate convoy. With enough cars and marshals to support 3 convoys today, DO offered its members a fantastic afternoon! :ymhug: :thanks:

The fewbee convoy was very exciting and rather uneventful. Yes, we had our typical stucks, second attempts, pop-out, and a nice dose of night driving ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ . Our convoy was around 10 cars and everyone got on quite well. Joe did his great job of taking it speedily easy in the beginning and then picking up the level as everyone found their “wheels in the sand.” :drive: We had a few drivers who had been out of the sand for a while so it was nice to see each of them get back into and find their zone. :ymparty: Paul, who was driving as second lead had a decent stuck in a small bowl, which resulted in a popout. Within five minutes Joe was able to get it properly back on the rim (I swear I think Joe has a tyre shop on the side…he is a master at fixing popouts :thanks: ). The desert nights do come early these days so as the sun began to set, visibility became its usual nuscience with the shadows and glare in your eyes. the convoy handled it well, however even into complete darkness. We safely exited the dunes having covered approximately 40 kms in about 3 hours. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Once again DO, its marshals, and its members never fail and we all had an extreme blast. Thanks again everyone and what a fantastic way to start 2016!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

January 1, 2016 at 5:08 pm #34565

thanks matt for the wonderful report and for ur excellent support on todays drive :ymhug:
    and thank u all for being such a disciplined and fun fewbie convoy to drive with B-)
    u all showed fantastic driving skills today making it possible to reach intermediate level for most of our drive :yesss:
    keep it up guys, and hope to see u all soon again on the sands….

and @matthewficco LOL no bro i dont have a tyre shop ๐Ÿ˜‰ ive just had the chance to practice on countless newbies ๐Ÿ˜€ hahha hello @AdionlyAdi we missed u today :ymhug:

peace…

January 1, 2016 at 5:42 pm #34566

This was my first drive in the desert and I have to say that it was an exceptionally amazing experience!

I did however get stuck a few times but with such experienced drivers around me advising what gears to use and which way to move the steering, I managed to recover myself.

The sunset was stunning and the briefings were very helpful.

I’m glad to be a part of this group and eagerly looking forward to meeting everyone in the sand again.

Thanks Marshal and everyone else in the newbie convoy

January 1, 2016 at 6:48 pm #34567

Great drive today guys. Thanks as always goes out to all the marshals (especially Joe for leading the Fewbies) and all the sweepers, a job well done. Looking forward to the next. Cheers all and safe driving.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.