Between cars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    July 12, 2017 at 6:17 pm #2832

Dear fellow DO members,

after completing 45 drives, I sold my Jeep today. I loved the car, modded quite a bit but lost the enthusiasm lately. With cash in my hand, I am considering to buy another rig in the near future.

That’s where I’d like to have your opinion:
    this time I am looking for a true 5 seater (better 5+2), which is capable off the road but not a pain onroad either.
    My better half doesn’t like the FJ (or am I still too young to join the dark side??), Xterra is not my cake either, Jeep – I already had it, which leaves me with Patrol or Land Cruiser.
    New Patrol is too expensive to bash it around, old type is really capable but again, not my style and its quite thirsty if I’m right.

Started to think about/cheking Dubizzle for Land Cruiser. Best would be a V8 (saw one LC Extreme for 350k ๐Ÿ˜€ ) but as far as I know all Desert Tour operator use the V6.

Questions:
    – is the V6 LC really capable enough on inter/advance DO drives? It has the same engine as the FJ but the car is more heavy.
    – Which neccessary mods shall I consider (lift kit / bash plate, cold air intake, snorkel, etc)?
    – Which offroad garage would you recommend to prep an LC?
    – Do I need to make any mods at all?
    – Any other car to consider?

I know, these are mostly general questions and any car is just as good as its driver… so please feel free to give advice, be it good or bad or ugly… :)) :))
    :thanks: :thanks:

July 12, 2017 at 6:46 pm #39455

Wow! Congratulations, sold with never been offroad))) I think old shape Patrol is really what feets u!!! Known u😄 Definitely not Xterra. Land cruiser also good, just not as cool, too luxury 😂

July 13, 2017 at 5:17 am #39456

go for prado , v6 4 liter , 7 seater and on budget

July 13, 2017 at 6:16 am #39457

Only Prado 4.0 and Pajero 3.8 are reasonable options on a budget.
    Land Cruiser will be too boring after driving a Jeep for so long. Unless you are aware of it and accept it ๐Ÿ™‚
    The new Patrol old shape is available between 125k and 160k, who cares how much it drinks, if you really like it ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Just follow your heart ๐Ÿ™‚

July 13, 2017 at 6:22 am #39458

Hey Gabor, this might be a strange suggestion but have you thought of the new Toyota 4runner? They don’t sell it at the dealership, you can get it from Aweer (new 0km).
    It’s a very capable car V6 4.0. Easily modifiable – same specs as the FJ cruiser. I have been contemplating one recently but finally decided to stick to my Xterra for another year. I don’t see anything wrong with the car (looks, power, comfort, reliability, modifiable…). Maybe not a 7-seater though (not sure).

There’s one TRO version on dubizzle (See below link):
    https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/toyota/4-runner/2017/6/13/brand-new-toyota-4runner-tro-pro-2017-mode-2/?back=L21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvdG95b3RhLzQtcnVubmVyLw%3D%3D&pos=3

Good luck!

July 13, 2017 at 6:44 am #39459

I will also suggest to go for a Prado 4.0 based on your parameters and economy. Its a great daily drive family car and with some basic modifications it will be able to handle all kind of off-road terrain we do. Also I believe you like to do more of solo type overload trips, for which it will be great.

July 13, 2017 at 6:44 am #39460

congrats first for selling your jeep

I do suggest
    1-Toyota 4runner which it comes with 3 engines
    1- 2.7L V4 it comes in the base specs starting from 2009 (not recommended)
    2- 4.0L V6 it come starting from 2009 till today
    3- 4.7L V8 it come from 2005-2009

2- Toyota SEQUOIA (Luxury level)
    1-4.6L V8 2009-2012
    2-5.7L V8 2007- runing
    3-4.7L V8 2007-2009

3-Lexus GX470/GX460 (Luxury level) (similar to LC Prado with bigger engine)
    1- GX470 4.7L V8 (2004-2009) recomended models 2005 to 2009
    2- GX460 4.6L V8 (2009-running)

*Note 4Runner/SEQUOIA/GX470/GX460 mainland is USA (GX460 also come GCC model also)

4Runner/GX470/GX460 sharing the same Frame of FJ and LIFT KIT the only difference is the spring coil in some edition you need thicker as the engine is heavier

quote edeg1972 post_id=44794 time=1499883457 user_id=24393:

Dear fellow DO members,

after completing 45 drives, I sold my Jeep today. I loved the car, modded quite a bit but lost the enthusiasm lately. With cash in my hand, I am considering to buy another rig in the near future.

That’s where I’d like to have your opinion:
    this time I am looking for a true 5 seater (better 5+2), which is capable off the road but not a pain onroad either.
    My better half doesn’t like the FJ (or am I still too young to join the dark side??), Xterra is not my cake either, Jeep – I already had it, which leaves me with Patrol or Land Cruiser.
    New Patrol is too expensive to bash it around, old type is really capable but again, not my style and its quite thirsty if I’m right.

Started to think about/cheking Dubizzle for Land Cruiser. Best would be a V8 (saw one LC Extreme for 350k ๐Ÿ˜€ ) but as far as I know all Desert Tour operator use the V6.

Questions:
    – is the V6 LC really capable enough on inter/advance DO drives? It has the same engine as the FJ but the car is more heavy.
    – Which neccessary mods shall I consider (lift kit / bash plate, cold air intake, snorkel, etc)?
    – Which offroad garage would you recommend to prep an LC?
    – Do I need to make any mods at all?
    – Any other car to consider?

I know, these are mostly general questions and any car is just as good as its driver… so please feel free to give advice, be it good or bad or ugly… :)) :))
    :thanks: :thanks:

July 13, 2017 at 9:42 am #39463

Hi Gabor,
    I would like to share some info about LC V6.
    Friend of mine has the LC 2013 GXR V6 and struggling for power. He is always pushing on the petrol pedal but it’s not showing the expected response.
    That is only on the paved roads, so, imagine how it’s gonna be during advance sandy desert drive offroading?!!
    I strongly believe V6 engine is not strong enough for LC considering it’s heavy weight, specially if you are aiming to do extreme desert sand offroding.
    I believe it is wrong choice unless yo are aiming to drive it in different type of offroading like overlanding expeditions which requires much less engine power cause it’s mostly going through low speed and low rpm.
    Am very supporting your idea of switching into TOYOTA and I believe you would not feel any regret even if you couldn’t find the exact perfect match.
    I believe Prado would be the best choice. It is offering the following:
    1- the maximum power you can get from V6 considering it’s weight.
    2- Very good offroad abilities (power, ground clearance, suspension, protection skid)
    3- Reasonable price.
    4- Decent room space.
    5- Contemporaneity type of car and not old fashion.
    6- All the offroad upgrades are available in market (lift kits, bumpers,…etc)
    7- Family friendly.
    I had an Overlanding trip to Omani empty quarter few month ago led by Matt Ficco. the convoy of 7 cars has tested all kinds of terrains
    (stony, gravely, rocky, very bumpy, sandy dunes and dirty).
    It took most of the vehicles to the max limits.
    We had 3 Prados in the convoy and all of them have shown great performance.
    The thing that surprised me the most is how the suspension is handling the very bumpy tracks in high speed.
    they have very large travel distance along with very large space for the wheels and sensitive soft quick responding shocks and springs.
    that made me ask a question, do they need to upgrade the suspensions? I believe the answer is No they don’t. They wouldn’t get better suspension system unless they install FOX or ARB.
    I hope this review could be helpful to answer some of your questions.
    Best regards.

Anonymous
    July 13, 2017 at 2:12 pm #39466
    quote Alex post_id=44795 time=1499885219 user_id=24656:

Wow! Congratulations, sold with never been offroad))) I think old shape Patrol is really what feets u!!! Known u? Definitely not Xterra. Land cruiser also good, just not as cool, too luxury ?

Hi Alex, I don’t remember that I sold my car saying it never went offroad. I am not cheating people. ๐Ÿ˜€
    The text said : used rarely off the road. Considering the 45 trips by maximum 50km/trip on sand (average I guess is closer to 30km/trip) means the car was about 5% of its life off the road. ๐Ÿ˜€
    And it was built for it, isn’t it?

Anonymous
    July 13, 2017 at 2:19 pm #39467
    quote John.Xterra post_id=44798 time=1499926942 user_id=24008:

Hey Gabor, this might be a strange suggestion but have you thought of the new Toyota 4runner? They don’t sell it at the dealership, you can get it from Aweer (new 0km).
    It’s a very capable car V6 4.0. Easily modifiable – same specs as the FJ cruiser. I have been contemplating one recently but finally decided to stick to my Xterra for another year. I don’t see anything wrong with the car (looks, power, comfort, reliability, modifiable…). Maybe not a 7-seater though (not sure).

There’s one TRO version on dubizzle (See below link):
    https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/toyota/4-runner/2017/6/13/brand-new-toyota-4runner-tro-pro-2017-mode-2/?back=L21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvdG95b3RhLzQtcnVubmVyLw%3D%3D&pos=3

Good luck!

Hey John,
    you are right, this 4-runner looks gorgeous.
    Being a Canadian spec can it receive the UAE radio chanels? The US specs – as far as I know – can receive the odd frequencies only, whereas UAE radio stations are all even (92.0, 103.8, etc).
    What about the A/C – it should definetely cope with the harsh Canadian winters but what about our summers?
    It’s a new car but can I have Toyota warranty on it, not to say dealership warranty / repair???

too many questions man ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•

Anonymous
    July 13, 2017 at 2:30 pm #39468

Thank you all for your wise words and comments – please keep them coming, based on your own experiences; stories heard from friends, etc. :thanks: :ymhug:

July 13, 2017 at 3:02 pm #39469

Gabor me and @leo911 had our lexus gx470 from USA California where it is similar to gcc specs A\C front and rear work separately regarding the car engine temperature I replaced my thermostat to gcc specs @leo911 did not both we had no problem at all with the temp regarding the radio there is professional shops in sharjah and ajman can make it work as gcc regarding the parts all available with authorized dealer Alfuttaim and it’s also available in sajah industry area the cars in alaweer come without warranty at all and it’s expensive since you can buy much cheaper car thru online guaranteed auction as to my experience and friends out of the club Toyota\lexus is the best deal you can go for for off-roading either as daily use car and family car you might only get confused about the difference in speed as it come in mile also kilometers and the best solution for that was driving on the gps speed as garmin note Canadian specs less options and it’s made for cold countries

July 13, 2017 at 6:40 pm #39473

Hi Gabor,

Toyota is coming up with a new version of Prado in a few months ( 2018 model with facelift etc).alternatively, you could also consider a fortuner. the newer models are beautiful inside out and the engine is powerful (4.0L).

July 15, 2017 at 11:50 am #39488

is it coming from the factory Japan or Al-Futtaim people make the upgrades over here in Dubai as to my knowledge that the fj Xtreme edition made by them but the LC 200 was coming as is from Japan

quote Asim post_id=44813 time=1499971253 user_id=24786:

Hi Gabor,

Toyota is coming up with a new version of Prado in a few months ( 2018 model with facelift etc).alternatively, you could also consider a fortuner. the newer models are beautiful inside out and the engine is powerful (4.0L).

July 15, 2017 at 9:22 pm #39491
    quote edeg1972 post_id=44808 time=1499956256 user_id=24393:

Thank you all for your wise words and comments – please keep them coming, based on your own experiences; stories heard from friends, etc. :thanks: :ymhug:

You only sell a Jeep to buy another one!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.