BF Goodrich

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone.
    Anyone knows where to find BFG tyres dealers in Dubai or Sharjah ?

Thanks

Mustafa

December 14, 2014 at 10:36 am #31591

Tyre Express in Emarat gas stations keep BFGs. I had bought mine from them.

Another source is Al Shami tyres 042850049.

December 15, 2014 at 7:55 am #31600

I suggest Yokohama Geolander AT, much cheaper than BFGs and runs great. If you want to spend money then u could also look at Michelin ones

December 15, 2014 at 8:04 am #31603

Thx guys
    Yokohama are also great too. Will look into other options as well.

December 15, 2014 at 10:05 am #31606

My 5 cents
    Check for highway fat tires with high water-floating index. They will look great and perform amazing in both sand and tarmac, also it will have great comfort and handling on both surfaces

December 15, 2014 at 12:05 pm #31608
    quote Vijay:

I suggest Yokohama Geolander AT, much cheaper than BFGs and runs great. If you want to spend money then u could also look at Michelin ones

Agreed with Vijay, yokohama geolanders are really good both in sand and on road !

December 15, 2014 at 12:50 pm #31609

This is purely my personal opinion :

December 15, 2014 at 1:52 pm #31610

If it is for sand and road then ultimate is Michelin. None can beat the comfort on road as well as sand

December 17, 2014 at 6:49 am #31617

But Sajid I dont understand why you think BFGs are not good in sand ? Else I ll go for Yokohama or Michelin.

December 17, 2014 at 7:56 am #31618

hi Mustafa,
    i personally love the BFGs, ive had a set previously, tried and tested them on a variety of terrains, and they work so well and are tough built.
    i just think they are slightly overpriced compared to other AT tires of similar qualities in the market.
    they are also slightly heavier in weight and will rob smaller engines from much needed power on the dunes.
    i think they are also more prone to pop-outs due to their hard sidewall construction which doesnt flex much making it easier for a deflated tire to push the beed off the rim.

so far your best bet (and as Denis recommended) is to grab an all terrain tire of the least aggressive tread and the lightest weight possible.
    again these two factors affect the engines RPM dramatically in sand driving, and we all know that traction in the sand mostly comes from deflation and fast tire spin with higher RPMs, unless you have a big fat engine that is able to shovel sand away at high RPM with a mud terrain tire then u wont be going too far up that dune. In fact thats why all the super/turbo/nitrous charged competition 4X4s use only MT tires to climb/drag quicker and further over sandy surfaces, only because they have too much torque and HP at the wheels.

the Yokos are good so are the toyos and the coopers and others of similar price and quality.
    i currently run on the cooper discoverer AT3, and they seem to be working great for me on and off road, they are lightweight with decent looks, soft comfortable and silent enough on and off road, and they are selling at a relatively cheap price of 750AED for the 285/75/16 size.

most people seem to prefer the yokohama Geo AT, but i found out that its a little heavier and less flexible at the side walls with a somewhat soft rubber compound.
    one more important thing! size does matter, if u ever decide to go up in tire diameter, pls keep in mind that although ull be gaining more clearance and traction and comfort offroad, your engine will suffer a significant loss in power, as well as a drop in fuel economy, again due to the added weight and increased turning radius of the tire!

there u have it summed up.
    at least this is my personal opinion and im sure some others may think differently, but at least now u have a new perspective for that matter.

hope to c u again for a drive this coming weekend.

cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

December 17, 2014 at 10:22 am #31621
    quote mustafah:

But Sajid I dont understand why you think BFGs are not good in sand ? Else I ll go for Yokohama or Michelin.

The best tyre for sand is never-ending discussion :)) it’s always been
    You have almost chosen BFG which is a “brand” and they look aggressive
    There is a reason why there are tyres specifically for Mud & Snow (M+S) and they are not rated for Sand.
    In mud and snow, the more you dig, the more are chances to reach a hard surface to have traction and keep moving. In sand, the more you dig, the more you get stuck and increase the difficulty of recovery process. Hence your best bet to keep moving is to “be soft on tyres” and “aquaplane on sand”.
    In fact, I only know 2 tyres meant for Sand – Siam Tyres (and it’s copies) and Nitto SandGrappler (I’ve never seen Nitto’s in desert yet, or is it Anas running them on his HiRider???)
    Siam is not road-legal and is dangerous on the road. Hence my advise to get tyres with similar thread as Siam but road-legal.
    SandGrappler looks AMAZING. Check it on google. Price is similar to Yoko Geo’s (which is the best balance performance/design/price). Michelin’s are expensive, but worth every single dirham performance-wise.
    I’m not sure on Cooper’s, in my understanding they are similar to BFG, but I had very little to none interaction with them, so here my opinion doesnt matter.
    Basically, this is another 1 cent to summarize what was said above. Saj’s table is correct. Joe’s calculations are correct. Other recommendations are also very reasonable.
    I used to be in tyre business for some time, and love sharing what I’ve learned B-)

December 17, 2014 at 8:57 pm #31628

I guess I should have posted in technical articles section instead ๐Ÿ™‚ . My understanding of BFGS as Joe and Denis mentioned are not the best tyres for sand as they do tend to dig specially in soft sand in addition to traction and power lost. I checked the Nito . They look great but unfortunately will not fit my rims. Probably I ll look at cooper AT3 or Yokohama AT.
    I might get in touch with you Joe , hope you don’t mind if I needed more details .
    Not sure about this Friday as I might do the Saturday trip with Duncan for some more challenge ๐Ÿ™‚ Thx alot everyone and cu all soon.

December 18, 2014 at 4:01 am #31629

Just to throw another tyre in the mix.

I have Kumho AT. They have been fantastic so far both on and off road and come with a very nice price tag. Very similar in design to the geolander AT which was my previous tyre and that was this tyres equal. Both tried and tested and both good options.

December 18, 2014 at 8:49 am #31631
    quote DuncanField:

Just to throw another tyre in the mix.

I have Kumho AT. They have been fantastic so far both on and off road and come with a very nice price tag. Very similar in design to the geolander AT which was my previous tyre and that was this tyres equal. Both tried and tested and both good options.

I always thought yours are still Geo’s :)) my recommendation on them was including that assumption =))
    Ok, so Kumho’s are well deserving to be included in the list ๐Ÿ˜€

December 18, 2014 at 12:31 pm #31635
    quote mustafah:

I guess I should have posted in technical articles section instead ๐Ÿ™‚ . My understanding of BFGS as Joe and Denis mentioned are not the best tyres for sand as they do tend to dig specially in soft sand in addition to traction and power lost. I checked the Nito . They look great but unfortunately will not fit my rims. Probably I ll look at cooper AT3 or Yokohama AT.
    I might get in touch with you Joe , hope you don’t mind if I needed more details .
    Not sure about this Friday as I might do the Saturday trip with Duncan for some more challenge ๐Ÿ™‚ Thx alot everyone and cu all soon.

i sure dont mind Mustafah,
    ure more than welcome to call me any time u like, and ill be glad to assist u as much as i could…
    cheers buddy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.