Camping/BBQ in the desert

• Author
    July 23, 2020 at 12:53 pm #3454

Hi Folks

I am pondering the idea of doing a meetup in the desert and having a bonfire there.

From what I understood, we can’t have a fire on the open sand.

Are we supposed to go ahead then? Create a fire pit or something? Can someone help me out here?

Thanks
    Amar

July 23, 2020 at 1:01 pm #43861

coal/wood/amber shouldn’t touch the sand. it should be done within a tray or on a base.

July 24, 2020 at 5:00 am #43867

You can always get a bbq pit and light a fire on it. That wht we do most of the time now.

July 27, 2020 at 6:39 pm #43883
    quote trq post_id=50131 time=1595509308 user_id=25518:

coal/wood/amber shouldn’t touch the sand. it should be done within a tray or on a base.

Hi @trq, we use a portable BBQ (with tray), but what is wrong with digging a hole in the sand and having a small wood fire burning within, and then filling the hole with sand after (on top of the ash)?

I’m genuinely intrigued because I always hear people saying they have BBQs and fires directly on the sand but never thought this was bad for the environment. I thought the ash and wood would potentially work as fertiliser when buried 🤔

July 27, 2020 at 10:02 pm #43884
    quote anton post_id=50159 time=1595875183 user_id=26301:

Hi @trq, we use a portable BBQ (with tray), but what is wrong with digging a hole in the sand and having a small wood fire burning within, and then filling the hole with sand after (on top of the ash)?

I’m genuinely intrigued because I always hear people saying they have BBQs and fires directly on the sand but never thought this was bad for the environment. I thought the ash and wood would potentially work as fertiliser when buried ?

Coal shouldn’t be thrown in sand. There’s nothing wrong, except the fact that if polices catches you they will immediately issue a fine of 5000dirhams, and that probably would be the costliest grill you will ever eat 😂😂

My personal experience: we were doing a bbq with families in mahafiz sand. Two guys from the municipalities came in FJ, stopped and came to check out fire pit. When they saw it was on a tray, they smiled and left. And reminded us to not do directly on sand as it invites a fine.

You want to do di a hole, do it, but pls ensure to put the woods or coal over a plate. Imagine everyone digging a hole and then burying the coals!

July 28, 2020 at 4:52 am #43885
    quote trq post_id=50160 time=1595887336 user_id=25518:

quote anton post_id=50159 time=1595875183 user_id=26301:

I’m genuinely intrigued because I always hear people saying they have BBQs and fires directly on the sand but never thought this was bad for the environment. I thought the ash and wood would potentially work as fertiliser when buried ?

Coal shouldn’t be thrown in sand. There’s nothing wrong, except the fact that if polices catches you they will immediately issue a fine of 5000dirhams, and that probably would be the costliest grill you will ever eat ??

My personal experience: we were doing a bbq with families in mahafiz sand. Two guys from the municipalities came in FJ, stopped and came to check out fire pit. When they saw it was on a tray, they smiled and left. And reminded us to not do directly on sand as it invites a fine.

You want to do di a hole, do it, but pls ensure to put the woods or coal over a plate. Imagine everyone digging a hole and then burying the coals!

Thanks @trq, I didn’t know it was prohibited, or that there was a fine. We’ll definitely pack a tray for the fire next time!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.