Coffee with Roshan – Friday mornings

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 173 total)
  • Author

🙂

Attachments:

January 10, 2009 at 6:47 am #9238

Seems like it was another amazing trip I missed 🙁
    Hopefully, I will be able to make it next Friday 😀

The sand in the pictures looks wettish…. did it rain the night before? Or is it the early morning dew and fog on the sands?

January 11, 2009 at 3:13 am #9244

yeah the sand was funny n wet, early morning dew i guess.

Thanks Roshan for the pics, minutes of the trip please Sahmed or Roshan. what did you notice, where can we improve?

January 12, 2009 at 7:07 am #9267

Very nice drive guys, really enjoyed it. Any fridays we r not out camping/tied up, I’ll join you for sure.

January 12, 2009 at 7:45 am #9269

The trip started with a little confusion on the meeting point as two members, Adeel Bhai (Wrangler) and Rajesh (Raj) reached the initial point, Dragon Mart, ahead of schedule, whereas the rest of the team met at the Lahbab Petrol Station.

For future reference, if the trip has multiple meeting points, it should be made clear how the team moves between points and where the final consolidation, prior to commencement to deflation point, will be.

In this case, Dragon Mart was meant to be a newbie pickup point, whereas the regulars had planned to meet directly at Lahbab. This was not clear from the post.

Most team members arrived at Lahbab by 6am, with Wrangler & Raj being the punctual ones and Rupesh (Albertho555), Shan (Sahmed), Roshen (Roshanvi) and Lanson next. Lastly, the trip lead, Shehzaad, drove in directly to the deflation point.

Deflation took longer than expected, as some members arrived without gauges and the general mood was slow and comfortable. These issues will be addressed in the posting for the next trip.

We entered a few kilometers before Big Red with the route planned to take us to Pink Rock and back to Big Red.

The sand was slightly wet due to mist and dew and the sun was just rising as we commenced the drive. The pace set by Shehzaad was quick, with Adeel Bhai in second place, followed by Shan, Raj, Lanson, Rupesh & Roshan as the sweep.

We lost some pace due to some tricky dunes about 5km away from Pink Rock, where initially Adeel Bhai got beached requiring a quick tow, followed by both Adeel Bhai and Shan stopping in the same bowl.

This bowl recovery was entertaining with both cars chasing each other around and easily escaping the mildly hungry bowl monster. This was then followed by Raj having trouble around the same area and needing a bit of assistance.

Once we crossed over this patch, Rupesh suffered a popout which took a swift 10 minutes to recover, followed by a little quick driving to reach the lead cars, only to discover that the leader had managed to get crested a few dunes away from the dusty track that takes us back to Big Red. This was a quick recovery by Adeel Bhai, following which it was decided to abandon the rest of the route and return to Big Red, in time for breakfast at 9am.

Unforturnately, the group unintentionally split into two as Raj lost his way for a very brief spell and Roshan took over as second lead, very quickly joining the other three cars on their way to the Big Red exit.

This was followed by a little bit of more confusion where Raj stopped to give Adeel Bhai some company while they re-inflated and missed the ‘chai paratha’ after party, mistakenly going on towards Dubai, instead of taking the U-turn to Sakhi Restaurant.

All in all, this was a good trip: in the sand for two hours, some good experience gained and a little bit of recovery practice for everyone.

Rupesh and his now highly modified SWB Prado are gaining ground in leaps and bounds, both literally and figuratively, as they both try to find that comfortable place from where the next level of learning begins…

Raj needs to take a few more risks, push himself a little more, a small bit at a time, to ensure that it remains about fun and learning, rather than about insecurity or fear.

Lanson really needs to get those bumpers bumped off his monster Tahoe, or perhaps get something cheap and cheery he can bash around.

For the rest of us, it was a nice, cheery trip with lots of good scenery, some mildly challenging terrain and a good bit of fun.

January 12, 2009 at 9:52 am #9273

Very good report Shan :ymapplause:

U forgot to mention that Shahzad took a very nice route but probably not for a newbie 🙂 We enjoyed it all the more. Thankfully we didnt have very many newbies in this drive. 😉

I moved on after inflation because some guests were coming to our place for breakfast that I only got to know when we were approaching the big red. I messaged on the radio about my plan, I dont know how it was missed somehow.

Thanku Roshan for calling and checking on me afterwards.

Trust me it was worthwhile getting up at 4am in the morning. Very good drive and very good team work!

January 12, 2009 at 11:07 am #9278

Thanks for the feedback, and yes … it was a nice trip. Wasn’t exactly a newbie trip but it was a nice mix of all.

Sahmed, I dont own a “highly modified Prado” (yet) … but if you’re refering to its height, then yes i have a 2″ lift that makes it the ‘heightly modified Prado 😛 😛 If you want to see my cuz’s ‘highly’ modified heightly Prado then see the attached pic 😛 it will wack anything that moves 🙂 i think some of us know who this is !!

Roshan’s FJ is plain amazing, i wont forget the experience driving it ever in my life. Thanks again.

I would like to try out a Pajero next time 😛 Tried pathfinder, patrol, fortuner, old pajero, FJ … good to have that experience.

Attachments:

January 12, 2009 at 5:54 pm #9282

Shan, you are officially our trip reporter now :thanks:

First of all, I thank Shahzad for leading this trip. I still wonder how tht 92′ cherokee goes places. 😉

Adeel Bhai, it was really nice to meet you after a long gap. Please do join us whenever you are free. Most trips are easy and hassle free. Unless, there are experienced members who want some more spice.

I got a chance to drive Rupesh’s modified Prado. It was simply amazing. The power to weight ratio cannot be explained. The steering was soo soft and smooth. Unlike the FJ, you dont have to floor the accelerator to climb dunes. Adding the AFE intake was roaring bowarful 😉 . The Prado is so quite that once you sit inside, you hear nuthing but your own heart beat :p . Good ride bro… cant wait for unichip 😀

I got a small chance to explain some things to Rajesh about recovering from a beached slide slope. Like Shan said, a little more confdence for Rajesh will do the trick.

Shan, like I mentioned in an earlier post has reached a very experienced stage of desert driving. He can self recover from any bowl and has a good sense of judgement on bowls and slide slopings. Although he tends to use his new radio more frequently than ever, his warning calls are much appreciated 😀 😀 .

Lanson as usual was the man behind the slow convoy 😉 . He needs to get that Tahoe either lifted or get a new ride. Having him around with his witts is a whole different trip experience . 😀

I was thinking of taking a short break on friday mornings but noticing the passion that members like Shan & Naveen have, makes me more motivated for morning drives.

I myself had a different experience with the new set of “wannabe” siams. They work great, perform well and can handle abuse at 8-10psi easy.

Thank you guys to all who contributed to this trip. Next drive, we’ll have it more challenging and spicy. So be prepared. :p

January 15, 2009 at 5:19 am #9315

Hi,

I have just registered recently on MEO and would like to join for the trip tomorrow. This would be my first trip with MEO and greatly look forward to it. I will be joine dby my wife and kid. So its 3 of us.

Look forward to our first trip with the MEO.

Regards

Vinu Jacob
    050-7242059

January 15, 2009 at 6:00 am #9316

Roshan/Shan,
    Could u post the plan for friday early morning.
    Cheers.

January 15, 2009 at 6:04 am #9317

Welcome brother,

We should have the meeting point and time(s) up today, so keep checking this forum.

Your family is welcome too. We think of MEO as one big family – the more, the merrier.

In the interests of safety, could you please specify if you have any experience with sand driving, and if none, how old your child is.
    (I have a baby myself, and so am conscious of the bumps and thumps when offorad).

Btw, I didn’t see your entry on the ‘members and their cars’ list. Do add your details there.

January 15, 2009 at 6:32 am #9319

Hi Ahmed,

I would like to experience the Suraj Ki pehli Kiran (First Ray of Sun) in Desert, at waht time you leave in the morning, may be we both can go together.

Reagrds
    Ali Adnan

January 15, 2009 at 7:12 am #9321

Usually the group enters the desert at SURUJ KI PEHLI KIRAN as u put it. It was a pleasurable drive last week and I’ll highly recommend it to u. Which vehicle r u driving?

January 15, 2009 at 7:23 am #9324

BY Ahmed I meant, sahmed (which i belive stands for Shan Ahmed) after posting I realised that there are other Ahmeds as well,

I drive 2003 Pathfinder.

Thanx Wrangler for welcoming note. I appreciate that.

January 15, 2009 at 7:49 am #9326

Humsafar, U r most welcome bro and we look forward to meet up soon, hopefully tomorrow morning if u plan to join.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.