Crossing of the Omani Empty Quarter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Day and date: Friday March 10th to Saturday March 18th, (give or take a day or two) 2017
    Drive Type: Overland, offroad expedition
    Drive Start: Al Maha Petrol Station just after Mezyad/Hafeet Border Crossing https://goo.gl/maps/nFZvJGYnBGH2
    Drive End: Rakhyut Beach, Salalah, Dhofar, Oman https://goo.gl/maps/xcmDGkzvtYN2
    Duration: 6-8+ days
    Drive Route: Starting from Al Ain heading SW through the Omani Empty Quarter along the UAE, Saudi, Yemen Borders
    Drive Terrain: Everything

Joe and I are looking to get a small team of offroaders toghether (4-6 cars) for this once in a lifetime adventure. We are still in the early planning phases but would like to feel out the interest amongst our members. The drive would most likely take place sometime in Jan, Feb, or Mar 2017. We would need to plan it around a time when the whole team could get time off from work. We will be covering more than 1200 KM offroad, which would require 5-7 days to complete. We would then need another day or so to get back to Dubai from the ending point. We could take a couple of days to drive back and explore some beautiful offroad areas coming up the coast of Oman.

This drive does not require you to be an advanced offroad driver but you should not be a very fresh newbie either. We will see many different types of offroad terrain on the trip. What it does require however, is very good planning, expert navigation, an extremely reliable rig, and ability to be self sustained for multiple days. We will not see shops or fuel stations for sometimes more than 600Km. You will need to carry somewhere in the range of 80-120L of extra fuel depending on how thirsty your rig gets. You should carry a second spare tire. You will need food, drinks, and other rations to last a week, without the ability to replenish ice.

This is a trip that would be planned together as a team so that everyone is on board and fully aware of what to expect….Everyone would be a vital support and element of the team’s success; not just Joe or me.

If you would be keen to do this please let us know. If you have any questions please let us know.

Let’s have an adventure of a lifetime in the Omani Rub Al Khali !!

Matt & Joe

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure itโ€™s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

November 24, 2016 at 7:23 am #37226

Definitely in ๐Ÿ˜€

November 24, 2016 at 7:27 am #37227

This. Cannot. Be. Missed.

November 24, 2016 at 7:50 am #37230

Sounds interesting, the only thing is timing.
    Look forward to discussing this.

Sebastien

November 24, 2016 at 8:04 am #37231

As @Jatin said ** CANNOT BE MISSED **

looking fwrd to it

November 24, 2016 at 11:14 am #37233

Hitting these confluence points could make the trip very interesting….

http://confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=20&lon=55

http://confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=19&lon=52

November 24, 2016 at 11:41 am #37235

Matt, this looks incredible. I don’t think I’d ever be able to make it, but I’ll dream about it ๐Ÿ™‚

November 24, 2016 at 1:00 pm #37237

I’m in for March! If it ends up being march that is ๐Ÿ™‚

November 25, 2016 at 8:18 am #37238

Im in

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

November 25, 2016 at 11:46 am #37239

Thanks Matt. This looks interesting!!!
    I would be keen to join, depending upon the timing.

November 26, 2016 at 1:29 pm #37246

Matt,

Kay and I interested in this depending on the dates. Look forward to hearing more about it.

November 26, 2016 at 4:19 pm #37247

Certainly up for it as well – I’m so looking forward to getting back on the sand!!

November 27, 2016 at 3:23 am #37249

Very tempting ….. will definitely join
    I ll have enough 2016 leave days on me to spend before March 2017 ends.

November 27, 2016 at 3:46 am #37250

There are some good Youtube channels to get into the Overlanding frame of mind. How to prepare, what to carry, the highs and lows of being self-sufficient etc. I particularly like these ones;

WARNING: Watching these will consume your life and all of your money ๐Ÿ˜€

Expedition Overland
    Bold Overland

November 28, 2016 at 4:44 am #37262
    quote Ahmad Pervez:

Thanks Matt. This looks interesting!!!
    I would be keen to join, depending upon the timing.

My pleasure Ahmad; it would be great to have you on this trip!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.