Crossing of the Omani Empty Quarter

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    quote stu:

There are some good Youtube channels to get into the Overlanding frame of mind. How to prepare, what to carry, the highs and lows of being self-sufficient etc. I particularly like these ones;

WARNING: Watching these will consume your life and all of your money 😀

Expedition Overland
    Bold Overland

Nice videos Stu; thanks for sharing

November 28, 2016 at 4:46 am #37264
    quote Paul_FJCruiser:

Certainly up for it as well – I’m so looking forward to getting back on the sand!!

Just one question Paul, you will have another ride than the one in your profile pic, right? 😕

December 15, 2016 at 7:20 am #37420

I would like for us to have an initial planning meeting for this event. We will need to discuss dates/times, route, provisions, vehicles, admin, etc.

For all those that are planning to join the trip or are interested but not yet decided can we plan to meet at Caribou Coffee in Times Square Center Next Wednesday December 21st at 7pm? Please note that participation in this event requires significant planning and this is just the first step.

Thanks and hope to see you there!

December 18, 2016 at 9:45 am #37437

Matt & Joe. Woah!! I don’t wanne miss this. Please keep me posted on the exact dates and I will try to make it.
    Anne

December 18, 2016 at 9:47 am #37438

Hi Anne,

It is great that you are thinking of joining. The details of our first planning meeting are listed on the comment just above yours. It would be great to have you there.

Take care,

December 18, 2016 at 10:56 am #37439

Dear Matt,

With all regret , i will not be able to attend the planning meeting on 21st Dec as i will be out of country from 19th till 28th Dec.
    it will be highly appreciated if you will share with me (afterwards) the minutes, thoughts and imputes discussed during your gathering for my own info and awareness about the trip….

Wishing Merry Christmas in Advance to your lovely family , DO Family including all Marshals and your Good self,

Haittham

December 18, 2016 at 11:01 am #37440

Hi Haitham,

No problem. I will share the minutes aftwards as there are a few who cannot make the meeting.

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. I wish all the same for you and your family…happy and healthy holidays :ymhug:

December 26, 2016 at 6:24 pm #37584

Hello all,

Please note the updated trip details at the top of the thread (time, dates, locations, etc)

We had our first trip planning meeting on Wednesday Dec 21st, 2016.

Present at the meeting:
    1) @Ahmad Pervez
    2) @Francis
    3) @Paul_FJCruiser
    4) @highlanderin
    5) @DJW
    6) @matthewficco
    7) @extensive7
    8) @Haijekov

We had a quick introduction to everyone and then discussed the trip plan, proposed dates, provision requirements, and safety aspects. It was agreed that we would do the trip the week of March 10th to 18th.

It was agreed that the team would be limited to a maximum of 10-12 cars

After discussing the trip requirements it was agreed that each of us would take the time over the next couple of weeks to assess individual requirements for the trip as well as what could be contributed to the team. We will aim to not carry duplicate supplies if not necessary e.g. only a few bbqs are needed,

A Whats App chat will be created for real-time discussions to help with planning and preparation. Additionally a Dropbox will be created to share files, routes, etc with the team.

We will aim to have a second planning meeting towards the end of January for updates and enhanced planning.

If anyone is not on the Whats App chat and is serious about the trip and would like to be added, please let me know.

It is gonna be a great trip!!

December 26, 2016 at 8:41 pm #37585

Ohhh man!!! Now I’m really hoping for a cancellation and a refund on the GNFD!! :-ss

I’m sure this will be a fantastic trip !!

December 26, 2016 at 8:46 pm #37586

Invade you’re planing around the 13th

December 26, 2016 at 8:47 pm #37587

Incase you’re planing around the 13th

December 31, 2016 at 5:00 am #37658

Hi Matt. Can you add me to the very likely list please. I’ve secured approval from my other half and just need to clear it at work. Will confirm 100% as soon as I can. I’d love to see your initial plans and look forward to helping you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

December 31, 2016 at 8:11 am #37659

@stu and @Sahil4959 we have 14 cars already signed up on the team, which is several more than originally planned. As of now we have closed the list but will keep you updated should any of the current team members drop off.

Thanks,

December 31, 2016 at 8:25 am #37661

Oh man, I wasn’t expecting that 🙁 I’ll keep my fingers crossed

March 3, 2017 at 3:59 pm #38344

Hi Matt, I signed up for this trip some time ago. Can you confirm if I’m on the ‘going list’ please? Thanks, Hafid

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.