Garmin montana 650 power button rubber disintegrated

• Author

My Garmin Montana’s power button rubber has crumbled away making it hard to turn on and off (obviously no longer water proof either). 🙁
    It’s out of warranty – I checked with AMIT the Garmin representative in Dubai, they mentioned it would be “a out of warranty fee” of 900aed to replace the unit with new one.
    In reality I only need the back casing to be replaced which incorporates the power button cover.
    Anyone have any idea where I could get the part and/or repaired?

:thanks:

November 18, 2015 at 4:13 am #34221

I don’t think there is any solution then unless you have home and contents insurance to make a claim. Otherwise its make do or pay 900 bucks

seems strange they cant replace just the button however!!

November 18, 2015 at 7:54 am #34229

Phil I can quite intriqued on how this happened in the first place. I have the same GPS and use it both in the desert and on the water sailing. How old is yours? Any idea how this happened?? What caused it?

Also you metioned waterproof…I was curious about this…is this unit waterproof (with a proper power button in place of course)? When I take mine to sea it does get wet from time to time. To be honest it gets wet in the desert too when I spill water on it.

November 18, 2015 at 2:51 pm #34234

Hey Matthew,
    i don’t know how it happened. the last few weeks it was more difficult to press on and off – had to hold it down for longer and harder.
    After last drive just noticed the button was down and the rubber crumbled to the extent that it fell out in bits.
    I bought mine in 2013 – but guess having it on the windscreen in full view of the sun may have had an effect on it (although this shouldn’t be the case) but can’t think of any other reason.

Garmin won’t replace just the back – bizarre!
    I have found a replacement – the only place i found is on eBay from Russia:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Back-case-Garmin-Montana-650t-600-650-650t-genuine-part-repair-/261803808279
    but it may not be that easy as plug and play to replace – without a little knowledge..???
    I would need to remove the battery connect (its glued) and replace on the new one…

from Garmin on water:
    Water rating IPX7
    http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/waterrating

November 19, 2015 at 8:18 am #34239

It could be that the sun dried out the rubber if it was always on the sunscreen. do make sure I take mine out of the sunlight whenever possible. I even noticed the battery wouldn’t charge sometimes when I was in the desert with windows down when it was around 38 degrees. Once I closed the windows and put on the A/C it started to charge. So I guess it can get a little finicky with the sun/heat.

Thanks for the link on water rating. That is great to know. Good luck on the repair as it is a great little machine!!

November 20, 2015 at 9:03 pm #34245

UV rays will break down the polymers in many synthetc plastic and rubber items. In addition heat can break the molecules of the polymers eventually making it like powder.

November 21, 2015 at 3:19 am #34246

That is great info. Thanks Steve. I guess it is best to try and keep it out of the sun/heat as best as possible.

November 21, 2015 at 7:46 am #34247

To be honest in the last 2 years haven’t used the garmin “all that” often except on the desert drives at weekend which is what 5 hours a week (and not every week – although my wife may think differently ;-).. The garmin is away from the window the rest of the time…
    Hey ho – still on the lookout for a solution!
    Good luck to all garmin Montana users…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.