GMC Sierra Off Road Performance

• Author

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT Double Cab (5.3l V8). I want your opinion on its offroad performance if I plan to keep it stock.

Any tips/views will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

December 16, 2015 at 3:53 am #34384

Hi Abdulla,

Looking at the photos on the internet my answer would be NO. But it is of course your decision.

The front bumper will come off within a few drives and the ground clearance is not good.

You would need to spend money on modifications unless you plan on driving newbie for ever or did not mind braking things. The truck would be great however if you spent some bucks on it. I have seen these things modified and they look fun. But that was with a big lift from coilover springs and a full body kit added. 50K easily.

Most 4×4’s can offroad but it depends on what level you plan on taking your skills to. That is the real question to ask yourself.

December 16, 2015 at 5:34 am #34387

Imho, If you plan to keep it stock, then its not worth it for serious offroading. Long wheelbase, low bumpers, low ground clearance, heavy weight all this will bring lots of stress to both you and the sweeper. 🙂 It would be perfect for leasure/camping though.

December 16, 2015 at 6:41 am #34392

I concur with Duncan and Denis, this is not a serious offroader though it has the potential to be one, with certain extensive and expensive modifications.

Anonymous
    December 16, 2015 at 7:02 am #34399

:)) reading Dennis reply. … i can still remember the tension in the sweepers minds when i had joined them during newbie days :)) .

Just a mentioned by all. Modifications are a must. Stock will not get you thru the newbie drives as the Sierra is low on clearance. So first u will have to work on your car’s bumper and side steps to start with.

All d best

December 16, 2015 at 7:26 am #34403

Agree with all the comments above. You will need to do a lot of modifications to enjoy it on the sand.
    Dubai Police got one last year:
    http://www.dubaicars.com/blog/2015-gmc-sierra/

December 16, 2015 at 7:38 am #34405

Thank you for all your feedback. Exactly what I thought.

I will not be doing any serious offroading, maximum at a Newbie level with the truck.

Looking forward to getting it, and to getting some modifications done in the future.

Thanks for your help guys!

December 18, 2015 at 9:41 am #34459

The issue I have with the GMC sierra is the very square sharp guards, low hanging front bumper and big wheels small tires.

The good news is the truck has enough power and torque to turn bigger tires, The driveline is also very strong to handle them, but the guards really restrict what can fit.

The stock bumpers hang far too low in stock form, this is done to bring fuel economy figures up, but kills it offroad.

The issue I have with the big wheels and small tires is the tires doesnt have enough sidewall to create a good footprint offroad.

I think the F150 is a far better all round truck. The ecoboost motor is a pearler also great on fuel and lots of torque. So my suggestion is before you buy take an F150 with an ecoboost engine for a drive.

The GMC could be alright with a lift, bigger tires and an offroad bumper. All basic stuff but will improve it immensely off road

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.