HERE COMES LIWA FOR INTER/ADVANCE ON 21.03.2014

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

1. Razik Rizwan accompanied by none. Happy to share a room with a fellow offroader on strictly twin sharing basis 😉 😀
    2.Asharaf + 1 Passenger
    3. Firoz minus family 😕 this time, only my boy is accompanying me. Happy to share room with male friends 😉
    4.Humayun – as of now single but may have some one for company 😉 will confirm shortly…
    5. Faheem – as of now single but may have some one or not…

March 19, 2014 at 7:04 am #29481

4 standard rooms reserved at Liwa Rest House for 1 night on 20th March. Details below…additional rooms can be booked if required:

Booking name – Humayun Shareef
    Standard room charges – AED 232/- tax inclusive, twin/double sharing on room only basis. Payable at the time of checkin. Please feel free to upgrade to deluxe room for AED 270/- as needed.

Room 1 – Razik + Firoz & Junior Offroader
    Room 2 – Asharaf + co-passenger
    Room 3 – Humayun + the special someone
    Room 4 – Faheem + the special someone

March 19, 2014 at 7:24 am #29482
    quote razik:

4 standard rooms reserved at Liwa Rest House for 1 night on 20th March. Details below…additional rooms can be booked if required:

Booking name – Humayun Shareef
    Standard room charges – AED 232/- tax inclusive, twin/double sharing on room only basis. Payable at the time of checkin. Please feel free to upgrade to deluxe room for AED 270/- as needed.

Room 1 – Razik + Firoz & Junior Offroader
    Room 2 – Asharaf + co-passenger
    Room 3 – Humayun + the special someone
    Room 4 – Faheem + the special someone

:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

March 20, 2014 at 9:55 am #29490

Meeting Time : 06:45 pm on 20th March 2014
    Meeting Point : Emarat Jebel Ali on Dubai Abu Dhabi Highway, E11 or Shaikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Road, just after the Jebel Ali Free Zone.

PLEASE SWITCH YOUR RADIOS (WALKIE TALKIE) ON CHANNEL 6 ONCE YOU REACH THE MEETING POINT.

March 20, 2014 at 11:00 am #29491

Hope you all have fun.

Be good, and if you can’t be good be safe………………… 😮

March 20, 2014 at 11:32 am #29492
    quote DuncanField:

Hope you all have fun.

Be good, and if you can’t be good be safe………………… 😮

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

March 22, 2014 at 7:43 am #29494

Explicit planning & superb execution…well done Brigadier Marshall @humayun Shareef :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: thank you for organising this drive which all of us participants will remember for a very long time :yesss:

Venturing into the emptiness from Arrada entry point to our exit through the Haliburton oil fields close to Hameem, this was a no nonsense super Advanced expedition drive in true sense :yesss:

:thanks: to @sajid, @asharaf & Faisal and @faheem for great company and awesome demonstration of driving skills & sportsmanship :yesss: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

@firoz, what can one say about you bro…looking after 2 toddlers all by yourself during the trip, having them strapped safely while driving and sweeping a convoy in a difficult terrain…all so very diligently…hats off to you Sir ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :thanks: for keeping a watchful eye on us :yesss:

Untill next time… :drive: safe

March 22, 2014 at 8:44 am #29495

We are back after playing a glorious test match at Lord’s 😀 .

My apologies to the members who are confused by the above statement and do not understand, follow or play cricket 😮 . I am trying to draw parallels between cricket and dune bashing 😕 . An advanced expedition drive in Arrada/Moreeb is akin to playing test cricket at the highest level and at the best venue. For football lovers, this is not the League/FA Cup i.e. Badayer or Big Red but the Champions League(Liwa), the best that football has to offer :YMBRINGITON: .

I hooked up with the guys at the rest house and we proceeded to the Adnoc in Mezaira to fuel up and buy edibles for our sojourn during the day. Faheem took the opportunity to do his oil change at the Adnoc which gave us ample time for a leisurely breakfast of Omelette paratha and idli/vada followed with specially made paani-kum chai =p~ . Now that our stomachs were satisfied, it was time to quench our sand thirst.

The entry point was a good 60 kms away from the Adnoc and we deflated and hoisted our flags and were ready to roll (pun intended) 😉 . A quick briefing was given by Humayun and off we went.

Humayun had decided to open the innings with me as his strike partner(second lead) 8-| followed by Ashraf, Faheem, Razik and Firoz. I had a torrid time in the morning session courtesy of the new shiny ball(new car i.e. my bro’s COD JK) and the grassy pitch(talcum powder soft sand as described by Razik). I was beaten on the off-side(reattempts) regularly at silly point and also got caught behind(stuck) and plumb LBW(crested) on a seemingly innocent ridge :(( . This required investigation as the car was uncharacteristically losing power :-ss . We realised that the psi had gone upto 13 which is a complete no-no for the MT Baja tyres I was running. Bearing in mind the softness of the sand, the temperature and the wind speed, Humayun advised me to deflate to 7 and 5 psi for the front and rear tyres respectively. Needless to say, it was smooth from there on and the car drove like a dream #:-s . The lesson learnt is never to take a new rig to Liwa and be prepared in every possible way giving it the respect it deserves.

I’ve had the good fortune of playing numerous T20s(Badayer) and ODIs(Al Faqa’a) under Humayun’s captaincy. But this was Test cricket and required a different skill set to lead and manage a convoy in the merciless terrain of Arrada/Moreeb. I witnessed a different Humayun in these conditions. Gone was the man who took on every dune without a care in the world in Sharjah, Alain and Sweihan. He was cautious, focused and reading the pitch(dunes) as frequently as possible. After all, this was his maiden lead in Liwa and he correctly gave it all the respect it deserved.

Since it was near impossible to find shade of any kind, we took a prayer and lunch break under the hot sun and indulged in a bit of banter. It was around this time that my throat got really bad and I was feeling parched and exhausted :ymsick: We continued our journey crossing sabkha after sabkha and sand mountain after sand mountain. We were about 16 kms away from Moreeb and discussed if we should take a gatch and get out or go out all guns blazing. \M/ . We decided to take on the mighty dunes in front of us and this is where the experience of reading the sand comes in handy. The lead started crafting a manageable route in the challenging dunes. We were clocking the miles and tearing away at the dunes which made the post tea session extremely challenging, fun and fulfilling :yesss: . We were racing against the sun and with 8 kms still left to go, we did the wise thing and took a gatch to the Adnoc at Therwaniyah.

They say it’s the journey and the people that matter and we were lucky to have the best of the best with us on this drive :ymhug: .

Thank you Humayun for leading this expedition in the best possible way :ymapplause:

Thank you Firoz and Razik for the sweeping duties :ymhug:

Thank you Faheem, Ashraf and Faisal for being the perfect companions on this journey :thanks:

My throat is really bad as I write this but it was all worth it 🙂

Regards

Sajid

PS : I have got the coordinates of a bowl which I have named as Faheem’s bowl. Faheem will give his FJ to anyone who goes around/in this bowl on a sunny day in 36 degree celsius with wind speed ranging from 10-15 kms and comes out without any support. Any :ymcowboy: s out there?

Here’s the route map :

Attachments:

March 22, 2014 at 7:33 pm #29499

Nothing much to write as Razik and Saj has covered the Full match ball by ball :yesss:

It would be unfare from my part, if I don’t say something about this wonderful trip 😕

Joined the Bandwagon from Shahama enroute Liwa Thrusday night, had dinner at ADNOC Tarif, reached the hotel at 11pm, shared the room with Razik…these are the prelude…and some bedtime stories too 😉 😉

As planned, we entered the desert from Arrada; a good 40 minutes drive from where we stayed overnight, which is just 2-3 kms away from the International Border.

As explicitly explained by Saj this was a real test for our Great Marshal and for the whole team. We all are aware of the capabilities of our ‘Mayun’ and the way he conquers the dunes and drive easily in our home ground. But, Liwa. it has to be different and he was very well aware of that.
    We started climbing and conquering dunes one by one, assessing some of them before climbing, abandoning some approaches and took deviations (not leaving them 😮 !!).
    Perseverance and team effort paid in the end; we conquered almost all dunes and falls on the route with ease and that too in using most professional/safe approaches…kudos to “mayun”….you proved once again that, you are one of the best in this business :yesss: :yesss: . And to say, we are proud to be part of the Liwa Expedition team bro…on behalf of the whole team, we salute you for the way you executed the master plan :thanks: :thanks: :ymapplause:

Saj, you did an exceptionally wonderful job, incharge as the second lead (the word itself says it all- SECOND LEAD!) giving ample time for the lead marshal to ensure the route clearance and following his tire marks…Hats of you to brother. Love your company.

@faheem/ashraf : You guys made me a dummy sweep marshal 🙁 ; I had nothing to do; no sweeping, just following you guys 🙁 ….lol…that’s was the highlight of the day. Just one stuck, that too easily managed by our official sweep marshal of the club– Mr. Razik

: Being you in the front, I had nothing to worry and nothing to do brother; just follow you :drive: :drive: . Thanks for sharing the room with me and kids..My son will cherish the Superman stories, for sure for a quite long time :ymhug:

The team was so good that, we took couple of collective decisions before attacking some difficult terrains… and as they say, the best Team wins!! And we did it under the captaincy of brother “mayun” – The Liwa Expedition cup :ymapplause: :ymparty:

Look forward for the next drive….till then hugs and kisses to my brothers whom me and my kids spent the wonderful weekend. A weekend to cherish for a long time :-*

March 23, 2014 at 6:08 am #29502

Thanks for loading the route track Sajid.
    There is no need for any description once the knowledgeable see the area that you guys covered.
    :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

March 23, 2014 at 6:41 am #29503

Fantastict drive report on a fantastic drive..there is nothing to add on..everything is covered..the team was an excellent one everyone with a cool head and ofcourse we have proved that the team work always wins..thanks to all the fellow mates for giving a wonderful company..excellent lead my our marshall and support by razik,feroz,faheem,saj…
    Though i was out from drives for a while..this drive have given me an opportunity to bring back my confidence..
    Looking forward to many more drives like this..
    See you all soon..Insha Allah..
    Drive safe..have fun..

March 23, 2014 at 6:49 am #29504

Report time!

Sorry for the delayed report guys.

All the reports so far have been extremely detailed and nothing much left to me 😕 😕 .

I honestly can’t think of any more comments to add, so I thought I’d just share a few of my thoughts on the experience I had…

Firstly I would like to thank :thanks: :thanks: the thoughtful gesture of Razik and Sajid at the deflation point to start the drive with a small prayer “Duah” and to get the blessing and permission from the Al Mighty which made a significant difference in the drive and thereafter it was like a boat sailing in the ocean.

At the initial start of the drive, I was quite doubtful of pushing you guys and hence was extremely careful to climb over massive dune. But then after an hour of watching the convoy performing I regained my confidence and there on our usual play started in a safe manner.

The route was very exciting, challenging and as both Razik / Sajid stated it was a powder sand (Talcum power)

In any convoy 2nd Lead and Sweep Marshall are the important personality for the whole convoy. Luckily in this convoy other than me all were 2nd lead and Marshals so what more one can expect and hence it was like a party time:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: .

Thanks to one and all who had confidence on my maiden lead and attended this drive and made it a great success.

Though of official photographer Ashraf forgot his canon, it was shot gun rider Faizal Ali who took few snaps from his mobile. So special thanks to him. :thanks: :thanks:

At the end, It was you guys who were rocking and made this drive a great success.

All in all, can’t wait for the next one.

Whats say Guys!

March 23, 2014 at 8:20 am #29508
    quote khshareef:

All in all, can’t wait for the next one.

Whats say Guys!

Let’s plan 😕 , I’m ready :drive:

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.