Hummer H3 ownership advise

• Author

Hi there.
    I’am new to the 4×4 scene. Very active on the evolve.ae, GTZ-UAE & VWAUDICLUB websites.

With expanding family looking to trade by Audi A6 for a Hummer H3. Love the breadbox look of the H3.

Seeking advise on ownership of an H3. Since the brand is no longer in existance. Called Liberty & then assured parts availability.
    I’am new to offroading & the car would be used majority of the time on Daily office runs.

However would like to meet everyone here & try out a bit of 4×4 action.

Any particular common problems on these cars? Any particular year models which are better? Are US spec H3 ok?
    Looked at the FJ (but need 4 full doors) , Like the Jeep Wrangler unlimited, but out of my budget.

Thanks in advance.

January 28, 2013 at 7:09 am #22532

I might not be totally accurate – but had started a H3 search back in 2010 when I got my new ride. Fascinated by the Hummer brand, I always wanted to be seen in one of these machines.

Anyways these are things that I found were disappointing about the vehicle :
    1. 5 Cyl Engine with a displacement of 3.7 L – Odd config
    2. Production has been stopped – The agency will be providing service to vehicles for 10 years starting 2010 – so in 2020 you could find spares for these vehicles in SHJ used market or Find the Hummers in Museums

Pros
    1. The Road presence is awesome
    2. Looks 8-| (That too is suspect)

Listen to everyone – Do only what your heart Says!!

January 28, 2013 at 10:30 am #22543

Hummer doesn’t have that much of power (H3) to pull you up…go for an FJ, Part-time off roading is okay with H3 but maintenance is expensive

January 28, 2013 at 10:37 am #22545

My advice would be to stick to either a Nissan or a Toyota…with strong stress on technical excellence rather than go for perceived looks or glamour…

January 28, 2013 at 11:18 am #22549

Hi Zsam,

I think everybody else has told the story about the H3 awesome looking vehicle, your comment about the FJ and needing 4 full doors and being used for the daily routine.

The FJ rear configuration is very roomy and once you work out your own system of loading and unloading the car the 2 + 2 door config works well, it’s a very …umm funky vehicle.

We use ours everyday up and down the SZR which works just fine. In the sand it has the power to achieve and isn’t quite as heavy as the H3 but not a light as the wrangler.

If I was you I’d get a machine you can trash in the sand and a school run vehicle for the family. If you intend bringing the family with you, which is a great idea BTW then you’ll be very safe in an FJ
    Good luck, why don’t you see if you can hitch a ride with an FJ owner one way :drive:

January 28, 2013 at 11:38 am #22551

Hi Samaj

I have an H3. It works great in the wadis but not so great in the sand. The power to weight is a real burden. For serious off-roading, I would target a Patrol, FJ or Wrangler.

Good luck.

Regards

Sajid

January 28, 2013 at 12:25 pm #22554

Many thanks for all the feedback…!

January 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm #22557

Just as most of the senior members pointed out, Mr. Angolkar – The H3 is’nt a practical choice.

Always know – Facts are stranger than fiction, and what the eyes perceive may be just an illusion even worse a mirage!
    Follow your heart….! As you might see, only what others want you to; and hear what they like to talk

PS I would stick with the big boys – T & N

January 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm #22568

Hi Z-Sam
    just seen this post on FB and thought of you

Guys, price reduced on my JK that’s done 24,000Km. Keen to sell before my visa is cancelled. Asking 69,500 AED, make me an offer or spread the word See link for details http://tnydu.biz/DOlA0h Call me on 0556068745

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.