i wont be home for Christmas :) || Oman adventure drive/camp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Lets get out of town this coming weekend,
    and celebrate Xmas high up in the cold omani mountainside,
    just the way it should be
    :ymhug:

Day and date: Thu 24 DEC
    Drive Type: Adventure mountain drive and camp across the Omani border
    Meeting Point: UAE/OMAN borders, Khasab coastal road
    Google maps users: MAP LINK || 26.051108, 56.088251
    GPS users: 26°03’04.0″N 56°05’17.7″E
    Destination, camp site: Rawda bowl || 25.858609, 56.272554 || 25°51’31.0″N 56°16’21.2″E

Meeting Time: 9:00 am
    Drive Start: as soon as we all clear the border passport control
    Drive End: Fri 25 DEC PM
    Duration: ~ 2 days and 1 night
    Drive Route: Khasab to rawda bowl
    Drive Terrain: winding coastal roads, gravel roads, steep mountain side climbs/descents, possible rock crawling! we will reach an altitude of ~1,700 meters

>Please bear in mind that the meeting point is
    approximately 140kms/1.5hr+ from dubai, so plan accordingly.

>Please carry a 2 day supply of food and beverage and all necessary camping gear. Carry enough firewood for the night and warm clothing as temperatures will be quite low over there.

>Passport with valid uae visa and oman vehicle insurance is a must! Vehicle insurance might be available at the border but its recommended to get it done beforehand in uae.

>All radios must be kept out of sight at any border crossing or else they might get confiscated by the authorities!

>This time our route will be tough on tires so please insure all tires to be in good condition especially the spare!

>Check and clean or replace air filters as our vehicles will be taking on quite a bit of fine white dust along the way.

>We will be covering a distance of almost 180+km of offroad gravel roads in 4Hi mostly and 4Lo at times! carrying extra fuel for that section would be a good idea!

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure it’s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

Hope to see you all there for some XMAS fun :-BD

December 20, 2015 at 6:44 pm #34475

Great Joe.. appreciate your effort to plan this trip.

December 20, 2015 at 8:24 pm #34478

This sounds great! Photos look fantastic, would love to be a part of this adventure. Is this an all level drive?

Sahil

December 21, 2015 at 7:21 am #34480
    quote Sahil4959:

This sounds great! Photos look fantastic, would love to be a part of this adventure. Is this an all level drive?

Sahil

this will be an adventure exploration drive with no sand this time. however it will require basic offroad experience with an appropriate 4×4 vehicle that has good clearance, as we might be climbing some fairly rough steep rocky paths!

hope to see you among us Sahil…
    cheers

December 21, 2015 at 8:41 am #34481

Have a nice trip and enjoy Guys. I plan to hike elsewhere in Oman at that time. Else, I would have joined you

December 21, 2015 at 9:06 am #34483

Fabulous Joe. Thanks a million for posting this trip. We are really looking forward to it.

We will miss you Ajay. Enjoy your hike.

December 21, 2015 at 9:51 am #34484

Explored this route before in November, and very happy to do it again with camping this time!!

Where would we be camping?
    Is it family friendly? Anyone bringing their wives along?
    When is the last time to confirm attendance?

December 21, 2015 at 11:23 am #34485

Cool trip! Unfortunately won’t be able to make it as family will be in town for Christmas.
    Tip for members who are going: If you have Oman insurance covered, get an official paper from your insurance company to show at the border or else you will have to pay for Oman insurance at the border!
    Enjoy folks!

December 21, 2015 at 11:37 am #34486
    quote Haijekov:

Explored this route before in November, and very happy to do it again with camping this time!!

Hi Mohamed,

I will be bringing my wife and kids.

I look forward to meeting you on the trip. It will be fun for sure.

December 21, 2015 at 1:43 pm #34487
    quote Haijekov:

hi mohamed,
    this will be a family oriented exploration drive with mostly mountainside gravel-road-travel and no sand as of yet!
    camping spot will be towards the wadi side among some acacia trees which should be relatively warmer and less windy than the mountains!
    never the less it might still be colder than expected at night so please come prepared.
    you may wish to confirm by registering for the drive clicking on green thumbs-up-button at first page…
    hope to see u among us
    cheers

December 21, 2015 at 2:42 pm #34488

Good one Joe!!!
    I am not sure if I would be able join but this is something that I definitely do not want to miss…
    🙂

December 21, 2015 at 6:24 pm #34489

This is something I don’t want to miss… but my new visa not stamped yet, don’t think I can join you guys.

Enjoy your trip guys…

December 22, 2015 at 7:36 am #34491

Been there in July.amazing place..very happy to do overnight camping.
    I will get my wife and son as well..its my first camping trip with DO. looking forward to updates.

December 22, 2015 at 11:14 am #34492

If anyone wants to drive together from Dubai I’m happy to do so. We can meet someewhere on E311 road

December 23, 2015 at 7:25 am #34494
    quote joe.zeinoun:

quote Haijekov:

hi mohamed,
    this will be a family oriented exploration drive with mostly mountainside gravel-road-travel and no sand as of yet!
    camping spot will be towards the wadi side among some acacia trees which should be relatively warmer and less windy than the mountains!
    never the less it might still be colder than expected at night so please come prepared.
    you may wish to confirm by registering for the drive clicking on green thumbs-up-button at first page…
    hope to see u among us
    cheers

Confirmed!

I will probably head there early to finish @ the border before the crowdedness start! See you after the border crossing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.