information on clutch

• Author

just wanted to know what is a heavy duty clutch for the desert for nissan patrol?

what are the disadvantages with it on the road ?

and anything else i can know about it would help me decide as well, please ?

it seems that my clutch is almost worn out or something like that, so need to get it changed, so i thuoght insteadof going for normal clutch, y not heavy duty, please advice me my brothers.

October 26, 2008 at 1:00 pm #8054

In normal driving, as we all know, the clutch should not be used at all, but in situations demanding extra power we tend to kepp the pedal depressed, resulting in clutch fade…
    Heavy duty clutch allows one to ride the clutch…without any detriments.
    It should not have effect on the car, though higher gas consumption has been reported in several instances.

October 26, 2008 at 3:50 pm #8058

Navin,

Check out http://www.exedy.ae/

They’ve got some heavy duty stuff. They have branches in FZE.

October 26, 2008 at 4:59 pm #8059
    quote Ahmed Pervez:

In normal driving, as we all know, the clutch should not be used at all,

This is right.

quote Ahmed Pervez:

but in situations demanding extra power we tend to kepp the pedal depressed, resulting in clutch fade…

It doesnt give ANY theoritical or practical power gain it just increases rev and make us feel so. THIS IS THE MAIN REASON WHY CLUTCH WEAR OUT and one should NEVER EVER DO THAT.

Navin: Heavy Duty clutch is good, but it will be harder than stock one, and u have to live with it and slowly u will get use to it. Other than that there is no drawback. I recommend go for heavy duty as u have already burnt the stock one.

In rocking the car for self recovering u shud always leave the clutch fully and rev lil and then hold clutch and again leave it fully and hit the gas. With this u will never burn the clutch and recover urself safely.

October 26, 2008 at 5:40 pm #8063

One of my friends got one installed on his modified civic. He told its ” Carbon plated”. He mentioned it lasts much longer than stock one’s coz its “carbon”. Supposedly carbons dont burn out easy. Anyways, like Gaurav mentioned, go for a heavy duty one. I once called the exedy company in FZE and some Japanese guy picked up. He was very helpful in guiding me. You can do the same. Just tell them wht you require it for and Im sure they’ll help. Good Luck. :-*

October 27, 2008 at 5:34 am #8075
    quote :

In rocking the car for self recovering u shud always leave the clutch fully and rev lil and then hold clutch and again leave it fully and hit the gas. With this u will never burn the clutch and recover urself safely.

gaurav is good at this on his Patrol :ymapplause:

October 27, 2008 at 5:39 am #8076
    quote Ahmed Pervez:

quote :

gaurav is good at this on his Patrol :ymapplause:

Pervez bhai, that was the need of an hr. :ymblushing:

Till now my neck is sprained……ouch.

October 27, 2008 at 8:03 pm #8099

Thanx guys, really appreciate it , now i need to do some homework on it, but i dnt thing i will be able to make it to liwa or any other trips i get this sorted out

One more quick question, do they need to open the gear box if they need to change the clutch or something like that????

October 28, 2008 at 3:45 am #8100
    quote dxb city guy:

One more quick question, do they need to open the gear box if they need to change the clutch or something like that????

Ofcourse yes. Its a lil bit big job. Get this done and im sure u will never ever drive on half clutch again :p

October 28, 2008 at 5:07 pm #8160

just a doubt , what do u mean by driving on half clutch, i mean, u use clutch only to shift gears right, & may be in the desert to rock the car, but even that i havent used accelarator at all, so shud i use accelarator while i am doing half clutch, help needed little confused here.

October 28, 2008 at 5:11 pm #8161
    quote Ahmed Pervez:

In normal driving, as we all know, the clutch should not be used at all, but in situations demanding extra power we tend to kepp the pedal depressed, resulting in clutch fade…
    It should not have effect on the car, though higher gas consumption has been reported in several instances.

also one more doubt on this ahmed sahib, when u said in normal driving u dont use clutch at all, means what??

i mean i use the four wheel mainly for desert & to go around blocks in ghusais for which i constantly use only second and third gear for which i regularly use clutch to shift gears, so sorry to say this again, but i am confused again here, sorry for being naggy about these matters but somewhere along the line i think i got lost

so help me brothers, Thanx

October 28, 2008 at 5:18 pm #8162

Clutch is just use to shift gears, very right.

But when ppl use half clutch to gain pwr (wht they think) as ahmed bhai explained.

Ahmed Pervez wrote:
    but in situations demanding extra power we tend to kepp the pedal depressed, resulting in clutch fade…

Is absolutely wrong and shouldnt be doing it as it doesnt produces extra pwr but make us feel by hitting rev high and fading clutch in return.

Some people also use half clutch in rocking for recovery, and thats also wrong. If you have not done these things that means ur car previous owner might have used that way, or may be ur clutch is fine and there is something else.

Please explain that what make u feel that ur clutch needs a change? And from how long u driving this patrol and which model it is?

October 28, 2008 at 5:25 pm #8163
    quote dxb city guy:

quote Ahmed Pervez:

also one more doubt on this ahmed sahib, when u said in normal driving u dont use clutch at all, means what??

i mean i use the four wheel mainly for desert & to go around blocks in ghusais for which i constantly use only second and third gear for which i regularly use clutch to shift gears, so sorry to say this again, but i am confused again here, sorry for being naggy about these matters but somewhere along the line i think i got lost

so help me brothers, Thanx

Dude wht Ahmed bhai means that we dont use clutch in normal driving much apart from shifting gears. If u are in traffic u will def shift often and use clutch often. We all use clutch while driving but only to shift gears, before and after shift we leave the clutch pedal completely. Even if u rest ur foot on clutch pedal it will effect in spoiling it. Dont confuse urself.

And dont use clutch other than shifting gears when needed while on road, desert, or rocks. (if u r using it that way, pls ignore this advise).

November 23, 2008 at 4:02 am #8586

going for a hardcore clutch if the car is a daily driver will be a real pain believe me. If you’re not running extreme horsepower & do crazy launches then i feel an OEM clutch is fine for your duties. the more hardcore you go the more harsh the engagement is and i dont know how good that is in sand driving.

Call up Exedy 04-8832244 , they have an OE replacement type clutches as well the HD and safari tuff’s in their range for Patrols. better do some solid research and advice from people who have used these clutches in our conditions. Normally Exedy doesnt sell directly but you can ask them for advice, the closest dealer i know is Performance Al Quoz (Jaics 050-6745072).

I stand by Exedy’s quality and service because they have a branch in UAE, stuff is readily available and i have had no issues with their products. I have Exedy’s HyperS clutch on my Civic EK for 2+ years, no issues whatsoever till date and i have put it through every harsh test a clutch can go through – but still holding on strong. I had it on my old civic too, that clutch is about 3+ years old and its still strong … the car is now racing in UAE touring car championship by the new owner Umair. Same clutch, same car…same performance after 3 years. here’s a pic of it (car with the exedy sticker) to prove it still runs strong ๐Ÿ™‚

always welcome for a test drive if you’re around Ghusais. PM me.

and no…i dont work for Exedy ๐Ÿ˜› eheheh

Attachments:

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.