Learner + Intermediate Drive 27th December 2013

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    quote Aemi:

quote ibrahim1:

Happy to join,

I hope I will have my radio ready by then,

Just got a Motorola, MT777! I’m in.

Ibrahim

You are welcome to join this trip.
    Kindly click on the orange button at the start of the the first page of this thread to register properly.

:thanks: Aemi! I think brianj has signed me in already #:-s :thanks: brianj!

See you tomorrow all! ๐Ÿ˜‰

December 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm #28425

It was amazing to join you guys, I personally learned a lot from this trip, so organized and so professional and much much fun!! I’m in again and again inshalla :drive:

December 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm #28426

Post drive report,

Most everybody showed up only 1 no show, a mechanical problem saw Baher take the precaaution of leaving his Pajero at the deflation point. This was a wise decision as a problem is easy to deal with on the flt with road access, however the same possible minor problem in the desert might be a hugely different story, so well done Baher for making the decision you made.

Well Today our convoys set off for Tawi Nazwa via all the rocks Fossil Camel and Pink, with little difficulty the first objective was gained, part of the convoy went to the East with Humayun and the other went west.

Amidst stunning vistas and the craggy outcrops of the mountain back drop we proceed towards Al Faya up over and around all that we encountered. Full marks to Rein at sweep you counselled a few of our number in the art of crossing the dunes. Duncan at second lead did a splendid job of keeping the convoy on track and intact.

We dallied a few minutes at the base of the saddle to watch the locals at play before crossing the tarmac and continuing our route towards Pink Rock.

Using the farm tracks and cutting across the dunes we made excellent time to the Tawi Mahila road and crossed the final section of blacktop for the short few kilometres to the Pink rock pass. Here a few of our number were challenged by the softer more intricate dunes at the base of the climb, as they were further up by the oncoming traffic through the Pink Rock pass. Suffice to say that we all regrouped at the base and a few drivers tested themselves and their rides of the face of Pink Rock.

As the sun descended toward the horizon we set off on the last leg both groups as one convoy, Humayun riding shot gun and ReIn faithfully continuing at the sweep position. By this stage the drivers had been challenged a few times, however the DO staff decided to push the level up a little to allow the group to challenge themselves further. This they did and I have to report that every member of our small group of humanity did exceedingly well..and congrats to all participants for a really good drive

:thanks: go to Duncan, Rein, Humayun , Hendrik, Baher, Ben, Alex, Mustafa who did a sterling job driving for our second sweep Baher, Pat29 Ibrahim and the Dr aka offroad and to everybody else that participated in this

JUST FOR FUN :drive: see you for the next one ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

December 28, 2013 at 6:35 am #28428
    quote brianj:

Post drive report,

Most everybody showed up only 1 no show, a mechanical problem saw Baher take the precaaution of leaving his Pajero at the deflation point. This was a wise decision as a problem is easy to deal with on the flt with road access, however the same possible minor problem in the desert might be a hugely different story, so well done Baher for making the decision you made.

Well Today our convoys set off for Tawi Nazwa via all the rocks Fossil Camel and Pink, with little difficulty the first objective was gained, part of the convoy went to the East with Humayun and the other went west.

Amidst stunning vistas and the craggy outcrops of the mountain back drop we proceed towards Al Faya up over and around all that we encountered. Full marks to Rein at sweep you counselled a few of our number in the art of crossing the dunes. Duncan at second lead did a splendid job of keeping the convoy on track and intact.

We dallied a few minutes at the base of the saddle to watch the locals at play before crossing the tarmac and continuing our route towards Pink Rock.

Using the farm tracks and cutting across the dunes we made excellent time to the Tawi Mahila road and crossed the final section of blacktop for the short few kilometres to the Pink rock pass. Here a few of our number were challenged by the softer more intricate dunes at the base of the climb, as they were further up by the oncoming traffic through the Pink Rock pass. Suffice to say that we all regrouped at the base and a few drivers tested themselves and their rides of the face of Pink Rock.

As the sun descended toward the horizon we set off on the last leg both groups as one convoy, Humayun riding shot gun and ReIn faithfully continuing at the sweep position. By this stage the drivers had been challenged a few times, however the DO staff decided to push the level up a little to allow the group to challenge themselves further. This they did and I have to report that every member of our small group of humanity did exceedingly well..and congrats to all participants for a really good drive

:thanks: go to Duncan, Rein, Humayun , Hendrik, Baher, Ben, Alex, Mustafa who did a sterling job driving for our second sweep Baher, Pat29 Ibrahim and the Dr aka offroad and to everybody else that participated in this

JUST FOR FUN :drive: see you for the next one ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Congrats Brian on your maiden lead with DO ! :ymhug: :ymhug:

December 28, 2013 at 7:52 am #28431

Congrats Bryan, wish you all the best in planning new trips in 2014 !
    :thanks: Humayan for the :drive: , really interesting.

December 28, 2013 at 10:06 am #28436

Post drive:

Well I enjoyed my second trip out with DO. A good location and some stunning scenery. We particularly enjoyed seeing all the camels! Definitely felt tested again this time, but learnt a lot about control, momentum and positioning on the dunes. Also when to use just enough power, and when to absolutely FLOOR IT!! Felt distinctly pushed towards the end when we met back up with the intermediate group and raced the sunset to Tawi Nazwa. My passenger and car survived to fight another day, with only one bent bumper and big smiles to show for it. ๐Ÿ˜€ Oh and a lot of sand inside the car…

My particular thanks to Brian for such a good lead, clear instructions over the radio, and good encouragement from both him & Duncan. Thanks also to Alex for some great convoy driving behind us and giving us space to have another shot at some trickier sections when I didn’t make it at the first (or second, or third!) attempts!

See you all next time!

December 28, 2013 at 10:13 am #28437

thanks brian for the drive and pulling me out. Joining the intermediate convoy on the last section of the trip really upped the pace and made it a perfect end to our drive. See you guys next week! Happy New Year!

December 28, 2013 at 11:17 am #28438
    quote Ben Barber:

Post drive:

Well I enjoyed my second trip out with DO. A good location and some stunning scenery. We particularly enjoyed seeing all the camels! Definitely felt tested again this time, but learnt a lot about control, momentum and positioning on the dunes. Also when to use just enough power, and when to absolutely FLOOR IT!! Felt distinctly pushed towards the end when we met back up with the intermediate group and raced the sunset to Tawi Nazwa. My passenger and car survived to fight another day, with only one bent bumper and big smiles to show for it. ๐Ÿ˜€ Oh and a lot of sand inside the car…

My particular thanks to Brian for such a good lead, clear instructions over the radio, and good encouragement from both him & Duncan. Thanks also to Alex for some great convoy driving behind us and giving us space to have another shot at some trickier sections when I didn’t make it at the first (or second, or third!) attempts!

See you all next time!

Great to see you there Ben, it was good that we were able to take the level up a notch, sets the scene for the more …umm involved drives ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have another friend who has Dune prepared his Fortuner especially in the area of bumpers, I’ll SMS you his contact, he used a garage, DAW , over near AL Khor that gives 10% discount to DO members.

December 28, 2013 at 11:18 am #28439
    quote Ben Barber:

Post drive:

See you all next time!

Great to see you there Ben, it was good that we were able to take the level up a notch, sets the scene for the more …umm involved drives ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have another friend who has Dune prepared his Fortuner especially in the area of bumpers, I’ll SMS you his contact, he used a garage, DAW , over near AL Khor that gives 10% discount to DO members.

December 28, 2013 at 11:21 am #28440
    quote pat29:

thanks brian for the drive and pulling me out. Joining the intermediate convoy on the last section of the trip really upped the pace and made it a perfect end to our drive. See you guys next week! Happy New Year!

Pat29 you are very welcome bro,…intermediate drives are where you are headed mate, join the drives and get the exposure ๐Ÿ™‚
    :thanks: for coming along

December 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm #28442
    quote brianj:

quote Ben Barber:

Post drive:

See you all next time!

That sounds great. I think it’s in need of a bit of ‘Dune Proofing’! Cheers Brian.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.