Learner’s Drive on Friday the 17th of May 2013.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Great post drive report following a Perfect Drive, thanks to all.

May 18, 2013 at 7:30 pm #26660

What a hot afternoon and what a cool drive! I had same difficulty to fund the meeting point although i imputed coordinates to google map, thinking it easy to find, but it turned out not to be easy. When got lost, I was a bit embarrassed because I was taking two friends from Canada for this drive. I was brave enough to went in the desert alone, thinking we won’t drive too far from main road. While wandering near Eagle’s dive, I saw two cars on the top, then decided to check out who they are, and Gabriel was one of them! I was so glad to found DOers, which gave me a big relief by being associated with my fellow drivers. Rest of drive was so nice and everyone did awesome work and we finanlly reached Fadayer around 7pm.
    :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: to Ahmed for the lead and all DOers for great company.

May 19, 2013 at 4:47 am #26661

Was a nice afternoon for a drive and great to get out of town for a while.

These drives are always interesting to see how people think and react to various challenges. It was good to see that most performed self-recoveries and this contributed to it being probably one of the better Learner Drives I have driven yet.

However, with these drives, I always grumble about convoy discipline not being adhered to and too many “advice givers” who should practice their convoy etiquette [maintaining Drive order and not losing the driver behind], and simply let the Sweeps fulfill their role. Unfortunately, these things are too common during a Learner drive but not expected to happen beyond this level.

May 19, 2013 at 4:55 am #26663
    quote DVG:

These drives are always interesting to see how people think and react to various challenges. It was good to see that most performed self-recoveries and this contributed to it being probably one of the better Learner Drives I have driven yet.

However, with these drives, I always grumble about convoy discipline not being adhered to and too many “advice givers” who should practice their convoy etiquette [maintaining Drive order and not losing the driver behind], and simply let the Sweeps fulfill their role. These things are to be expected in a Learner drive but not beyond.

A no nonsense advice from a disciplined offroader…

Very articulately put David :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

See you soon!

May 19, 2013 at 5:32 am #26665

We all met at the designated meeting point at Khatam, deflated and hit the dunes finally targeting the Big Red at Badayer. It was a exciting drive that was lead by Marshal Ahmad with Duncan as his second lead.

The convoy consisted of Newbees & Fewbees, it was nice to see Shawana, Leo, Sajid and the driver driving the black jeep gaining their confidence as the drive progressed. The plans were to end the drive at the Devil’s plunge but due to the time available we extended it to the Big Red. This was possible because all the drivers managed the fast pace and drove without any major incidents, a few second attempts and convoy kept going.

Good back up support from Duncan (2nd lead), David, Rakesh and at the rear, excellent support by Razik who kept the information flowing to the leads on the progress of the convoy.

Thanks to all the participants who joined the drive, drove well and ending the drive safely.

Have a good week ahead.

May 19, 2013 at 8:33 am #26669
    quote DVG:

However, with these drives, I always grumble about convoy discipline not being adhered to and too many “advice givers” who should practice their convoy etiquette [maintaining Drive order and not losing the driver behind], and simply let the Sweeps fulfill their role. Unfortunately, these things are to common during a Learner drive but not expected to happen beyond this level.

Correct!!!
    Point noted, we will take better care of convoy discipline next drive onwards.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.