Liwa Adventure with overnight Camping on 29th & 30th of November ‘2019

• Author

Liwa Adventure with overnight Camping on 29th & 30th of November ‘2019

The Season is on again, with the weather showing an affinity for lower temperature, and with lower temperatures, there’s a chance for a Liwa Season Opener.
    The best way obviously, to welcome the onset of the off Roading and Camping season will be with a visit to the Real “Umm Al Ramoul”, The Mother of all deserts the Rub Al Khaali…meaning The Empty Quarter…in plain English!!!

Day and date: 29th & 30th of November 2019
    Drive Type: Open to all members, Families are specially encouraged to join as it will be a nice picturesque drive and overnight camping adventure. There are 3 meeting points, to facilitate members joining in from Abu Dhabi & Al’ Ain.

Meeting Point:
    A. ADNOC Service Station, 811 Ghantoot on Dubai-Abu Dhabi Highway, E11.
    Google maps users (just copy and paste in Google maps):
    https://goo.gl/maps/nXBZ15bZYrMoiinE7

Meeting Time: 07:45 am on 29th November 2019
    Drive Start: 08:00 am on 29th November 2019

B. ADNOC at Mafraq, Shawamekh (SOUTH-WEST) – Abu Dhabi, on Abu Dhabi Ghweifat International Highway.
    https://goo.gl/maps/EewKLex3zcBn5BWQA

Meeting Time: 08:45 am on 29th November 2019
    Drive Start: 09:00 am on 29th November 2019

C. ADNOC Service Station 660 Al Shebika, on Hameem Road
    https://goo.gl/maps/jJ8daC8ofzM1jLbc9

Meeting Time: 09:45 am on 29th November 2019
    Drive Start: 10:00 am on 29th November 2019

Drive End: 03:00 pm, 1500 Hrs. on 30th November 2019
    Duration: 2 days and 1 night

PLEASE SWITCH ON YOUR RADIO/ WALKIE TALKIE AND TUNE IN TO CHANNEL 7 (462 712.5), AS SOON AS YOU REACH ANY OF THE ABOVE MEETING POINTS.

Drive Route: Picturesque tall Dunes and lots of sand trails
    Drive Terrain: Unbelievably beautiful inimitable Liwa!!!

The Rub’ al Khali (Arabic: الربع الخالي‎) or Empty Quarter is one of the largest sand deserts in the world, encompassing most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula, including southern Saudi Arabia, and areas of Oman, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The desert covers some 650,000 square kilometres , Liwa Oasis is about 100 km south of the Arabian Gulf coast and 150 km SSW of the city of Abu Dhabi, on the northern edge of Rub’ al Khali desert and stretches about 100 km east-west, along an arch curved to the north.

The geographic and economic center of the oasis is Mizair’a, where the highway from Abu Dhabi enters the oasis and then divides to the east (65 km to the easternmost village, Mahdar Bin `Usayyan) and west (45 km to the westernmost village, `Aradah).

The villages of Liwa Oasis are the southernmost settlements of Abu Dhabi and of the United Arab Emirates. The southern border of Abu Dhabi with Saudi Arabia, which runs at a distance between 16 and 35 km to the Oasis, is a straight line in the Rub al Khali desert, which is largely uninhabited.

Duration: We will have a tarmac drive OF approx. 150kms. that will take us from the 1st meeting point to the 2nd & eventually the 3rd Meeting point, which is a fuel station, and is not far from the Offroad entrance/ Deflation point.

We will fill fuel here and start a day long desert drive, until just before sunset which will bring us to our camping spot in the Dunes. We will camp here, have a BBQ & make merry till late. The camp will be wrapped up for a 9.00am departure in the morning for a nearby fuel station to fill up on fuel and any necessary provisions and then back to the sands for another long drive in the sands, we will inflate the tyres, upon completion of the desert section,and head back home to arrive in Dubai / Sharjah by late evening on Saturday the 30th of November 2019.

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure it’s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

Please read the following and register for the drive:-
    Equipments that one needs to carry for offroading
    Rules Of The Trip
    Dubai Offroaders – Disclaimer

This is a family Outing & all Dubai Offroaders members are welcome to Join.
    Please register your intent to participate in the drive here.
    Please make sure that your vehicle is fully prepared for an expedition type drive with complete recovery kit etc. and that it is fully serviceable with recovery points front & aft.
    We will be camping overnight in the desert & while the day will be hot & sunny, the night temperature is expected to be pleasant and it can become chilly, too, late at night. Please be prepared with complete camping & warm gear as well as sufficient food & drinks for the full day’s drive as we WILL NOT encounter any place to replenish supplies on the way, once we enter the desert.
    The total off Road drive section on the two day drive is expected to be about 120kms.+ but we will be able to access provisions & Petrol on the morning of the 2nd day prior to the beginning of the Drive.
    You may also carry BBQ Equipment & food if you want to cook the food at the evening camp.
    Please carry at least 2 bundles of wood per Car for the Overnight Camp bonfire.
    This will be an excellent opportunity for photography enthusiasts to take some unbelievably beautiful natural sandscapes…so keep your cameras ready…too!!!!

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure it’s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

November 17, 2019 at 5:09 pm #43330

This sounds great. Looking forward to joining you all on this.

November 17, 2019 at 5:57 pm #43331
    quote liwadreamer post_id=49519 time=1574010544 user_id=25905:

This sounds great. Looking forward to joining you all on this.

Just click on attend, under the Your Status button.

November 17, 2019 at 6:18 pm #43332

This looks fantastic, and would join if I didn’t have previous plans. Enjoy!

November 23, 2019 at 6:23 pm #43339

Hi guys, I understand that newbies are welcomed, but is this trip suitable for a full stock JL Sport? Just bought the car and didn’t modify anything yet. Of course I’ll arrange to have all others required (radio, flag, compressor, etc.).
    I would be interested to join along with my son.

Cheers

November 24, 2019 at 5:36 pm #43342
    quote Razvan post_id=49530 time=1574533423 user_id=26106:

Hi guys, I understand that newbies are welcomed, but is this trip suitable for a full stock JL Sport? Just bought the car and didn’t modify anything yet. Of course I’ll arrange to have all others required (radio, flag, compressor, etc.).
    I would be interested to join along with my son.

Cheers

Yes, this drive is suitable for a fully stock JL. It’s OK if you didn’t modify anything yet. The drive difficulty level will be adjusted by the lead marshals according to the convoy level.

November 24, 2019 at 5:59 pm #43343
    quote Hamza Ahmad” post_id=49535 time=1574617014 user_id=23637:

Yes, this drive is suitable for a fully stock JL. It’s OK if you didn’t modify anything yet. The drive difficulty level will be adjusted by the lead marshals according to the convoy level.

Thanks, I’ll register for the trip once I’m sure I have all required items in possession. Hope to see you there.

November 25, 2019 at 10:18 am #43345

I do not have a walkitalki how would that work

November 25, 2019 at 10:39 am #43346
    quote azizaziz post_id=49538 time=1574677118 user_id=26078:

I do not have a walkitalki how would that work

You can buy one from Dragon Mart

November 26, 2019 at 5:57 am #43350

Sorry can’t do that, any other option?

November 26, 2019 at 6:06 am #43351
    quote azizaziz post_id=49545 time=1574747855 user_id=26078:

Order it from Amazon and get them to deliver it to you before Friday because I am afraid, without a walkie talkie, it will not work and you’ll not be able to join the trip. Sorry.

November 26, 2019 at 3:28 pm #43354

The weather too has become really nice for a camping trip.

November 27, 2019 at 11:55 am #43356

Sorry guys, lot of unexpected work came up and I don’t have sufficient time to properly prepare for the trip. Hope to make it for the next one.

November 27, 2019 at 12:19 pm #43357
    quote azizaziz post_id=49545 time=1574747855 user_id=26078:

you could also order it from amazon, there are a couple of options, I have this one:
    https://www.amazon.ae/BaoFeng-UV-5R-65-108-Dual-Band-Radio/dp/B008IYCQSO/ref=pd_sbs_23_4/260-2062456-0366163?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008IYCQSO&pd_rd_r=5dacc3d5-a5ca-4e25-a6f0-8775a0b4a495&pd_rd_w=fISzE&pd_rd_wg=HIDlM&pf_rd_p=16eafae0-5901-40c5-89ff-55686bfb2a45&pf_rd_r=VYK0V3KXFP9NCY7WHHK5&psc=1&refRID=VYK0V3KXFP9NCY7WHHK5

Not sure if it will arrive in time for this drive, however if you need one for future drives 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.