Liwa Camping and Drive adventure on 2nd and 3rd of December 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

The Season is on again, with the weather showing an affinity for lower temperature, and with a 4 day private sector holiday from 2nd to 5th of December 2015.
    The best way obviously, to welcome the onset of the off Roading season will be with a visit to that mother of all deserts the Rub Al Khaali…meaning The Empty Quarter…in plain English!!!
    Here is a very nice video compilation of visit to Liwa in late 2010, very kindly contributed by Mr. Silvester Petras, conducted by Dubai offroaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfFR_ac1WdA

Day and date: 2nd and 3rd of December 2015
    Drive Type: Open to all members, Families are specially encouraged to join as it will be a nice picturesque drive and overnight camping adventure.
    Meeting Point: Emarat Jebel Ali on Dubai Abu Dhabi Highway, E11.
    Google maps users (just copy and paste in Google maps): https://www.google.ae/maps/place/Emarat/@24.9379547,55.0431032,15.58z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x3f1e9bea1e384fcc?hl=en
    GPS users: N 24 56.464 E 55 02.534
    Meeting Time: 07:45 am on 2nd Dec. 2015
    Drive Start: 08:00 am on 2nd Dec. 2015
    Drive End: 06:00 pm on 3rd Dec. 2015
    Duration: 2 days and 1 night
    Drive Route: Picturesque tall Dunes and lots of sand trails
    Drive Terrain: Unbelievably beautiful inimitable Liwa!!!

The Rub’ al Khali (Arabic: ุงู„ุฑุจุน ุงู„ุฎุงู„ูŠโ€Ž) or Empty Quarter is one of the largest sand deserts in the world, encompassing most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula, including southern Saudi Arabia, and areas of Oman, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The desert covers some 650,000 square kilometres , Liwa Oasis is about 100 km south of the Arabian Gulf coast and 150 km SSW of the city of Abu Dhabi, on the northern edge of Rub’ al Khali desert and stretches about 100 km east-west, along an arch curved to the north.

The geographic and economic center of the oasis is Mizair’a, where the highway from Abu Dhabi enters the oasis and then divides to the east (65 km to the easternmost village, Mahdar Bin `Usayyan) and west (45 km to the westernmost village, `Aradah).

The villages of Liwa Oasis are the southernmost settlements of Abu Dhabi and of the United Arab Emirates. The southern border of Abu Dhabi with Saudi Arabia, which runs at a distance between 16 and 35 km to the Oasis, is a straight line in the Rub al Khali desert, which is largely uninhabited.

PLEASE SWITCH ON YOUR RADIO AND TUNE IN TO CHANNEL 4 (462 637.5) AS SOON AS YOU REACH THE MEETING POINT.

Duration: We will have a tarmac drive OF approx. 150kms. that will take us from the meeting point to the desert entrance point, which is a fuel station, We will fill fuel here and start a day long desert drive, until just before sunset which will bring us to our camping spot in the Dunes. We will camp here, have a BBQ & make merry till late. The camp will be wrapped up for a 9.00am departure in the morning for a nearby fuel station to fill up on fuel and any necessary provisions and then back to the sands for another long drive in the sands, we will inflate the tyres, upon completion of the desert section,and head back home to arrive in Dubai / Sharjah by late evening on Thursday the 3rd of December 2015.

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure itโ€™s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

Please read the following and register for the drive:-
    Equipments that one needs to carry for offroading
    Rules Of The Trip
    Dubai Offroaders – Disclaimer

This is a family Outing & all Dubai Offroaders members are welcome to Join.
    Please register your intent to participate in the drive here.
    Please make sure that your vehicle is fully prepared for an expedition type drive with complete recovery kit etc. and that it is fully serviceable with recovery points front & aft.
    We will be camping overnight in the desert & while the day will be hot & sunny, the night temperature is expected to be chilly, so please be prepared with complete camping & warm gear as well as sufficient food & drinks for the full day’s drive as we WILL NOT encounter any place to replenish supplies on the way, once we enter the desert.
    The total off Road drive section on the two day drive is expected to be about 120kms.+ but we will be able to access provisions & Petrol on the morning of the 2nd day prior to the beginning of the Drive.
    You may also carry BBQ Equipment & food if you want to cook the food at the evening camp.
    Please carry at least 2 bundles of wood per Car for the Overnight Camp bonfire.
    This will be an excellent opportunity for photography enthusiasts to take some unbelievably beautiful natural sandscapes…so keep your cameras ready…too!!!!

November 3, 2015 at 4:28 pm #34122

Guys channel 4 right I’ll be there ……..u know what I mean ahmad Bhai and abdalla

November 3, 2015 at 9:30 pm #34124
    quote Avinash Sudheer:

Guys channel 4 right I’ll be there ……..u know what I mean ahmad Bhai and abdalla

I got it =))

November 4, 2015 at 11:44 am #34128
    quote Avinash Sudheer:

X(
    :ymdevil:

November 5, 2015 at 6:28 am #34132

This trip sounds sooo freee-kin cool!. Can’t wait for it. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

November 5, 2015 at 8:22 am #34135
    quote matthewficco:

This trip sounds sooo freee-kin cool!. Can’t wait for it. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

It is definitely very cool!!!
    This is the pinnacle of off roading in the Sand!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

November 14, 2015 at 5:11 am #34183

Guys not to forget about extra fuel of at least 20l as it might be needed for some

November 15, 2015 at 11:20 am #34193

Only two weeks left…can’t wait.

@heithos
    are you bringing your new Ram out on this trip? I am too so we will have to keep them tamed so they don’t buck horns :)) :))

November 15, 2015 at 11:21 am #34194
    quote Avinash Sudheer:

Guys not to forget about extra fuel of at least 20l as it might be needed for some

Thanks Avinash. I am bringing my truck on this trip and am planning to carry to 20L jerry cans in case anyone needs.

November 15, 2015 at 12:38 pm #34197

Yes matt u should but why not the prado we would be crossing most of the big dunes so I would prefer the prado any day

November 15, 2015 at 2:42 pm #34199

how many families will be there ?

November 16, 2015 at 5:59 am #34204

There should be quite a few,
    My wife will accompany me on this drive.

November 18, 2015 at 7:59 am #34231
    quote Avinash Sudheer:

Yes matt u should but why not the prado we would be crossing most of the big dunes so I would prefer the prado any day

Avi you will see…I have a new offroad bumper and side steps on the Ram. Installed a leveling kit too so the front end has about a 2 inch lift plus with the offroad bumper I have more clearance than my Prado. For straight dune bashing I agree the Prado is my preference. But for camping the Ram is better as I can fit all of my gear easily in the back and still keep the family comfortable. Remember, I have a wife and two kids…so need to carry a little extra baggage ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 24, 2015 at 7:49 am #34252

@matthewficco

Hey Buddy ,

Sorry for the late reply,

Sure i will be bringing my Little Rummy Chained………………….still cant promise he will behave…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Looking forward to our meeting…

November 27, 2015 at 4:40 am #34263

Damn! Really wanted to do this trip, but not sure I can make it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.