NEWBIE + FEWBEE – FRIDAY AFTERNOON DRIVE – 18/01/2013

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    quote Hendrik:

Hello
    Last time I came ( too long ago unfortunately – Area 58 that became a night drive ) I gave my compressor to somebody ( have no name, but he had a beard and was in interior design ) and since I didn’t come since then, he still has it
    Somebody knows who he is and can I retrieve my compressor ( was fitted in a toolbox )
    Thank you
    Hendrik

Hey Hendrick…can u tell which vehicle was he driving…color and make…we will try to find it out…

January 16, 2013 at 12:34 pm #22122
    quote Hendrik:

Hello
    Last time I came ( too long ago unfortunately – Area 58 that became a night drive ) I gave my compressor to somebody ( have no name, but he had a beard and was in interior design ) and since I didn’t come since then, he still has it
    Somebody knows who he is and can I retrieve my compressor ( was fitted in a toolbox )
    Thank you
    Hendrik

Hey Hendrik, your compressor is safe with me ๐Ÿ™‚

Infact you gave the compressor to Inder for fixing his popout. After the drive Inder was looking for somebody to keep the compressor as he didnt want to carry it. I then received it for safe custody and Inder was not sure from whom he received the compressor. Its good that finally you claimed here for your stuff after about 4 months ๐Ÿ˜€

Let me know when you are joining us for the next drive, I will get it to you ๐Ÿ™‚

January 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm #22130
    quote firoztv:

quote Roshan Oliver:

quote thomasinasu:

Kumar I am in too. Will be fun a sunset drive. The wife and kid will be on board too for the first time, been talking about this group and they are super exicited.

Thomas Don’t take your kid, they get Scary i had my experience and left the convoy in the initial stage Recently in Dec Family and BBQ night and my daughter was 2.3 Year old.
    as advised By Humayun better don,t take your kid. :thanks:

Dear Thomas,
    Just ensure that you’ve good infant car seat and the kid is correctly tied to the car seat all the times…some kids just love it ๐Ÿ™‚ (or it could be just opposite also as stated by roshan ๐Ÿ™ )……my little girl (3 1/2 yeas now)and boy (6 years) started offroading since beginning of last year and both of them enjoy as much we love it :yesss: .

Just try and see…All the best.

Hello Humayun, Roshan & Firoz

Thank you very much for your words of caution and advice. Zach’s not 3 yet but he’s had his fair share of going off the beaten track and so far has had a swell time bobbing up and down. We are well equipped with the Maxicosi Isofix base and seat. The wife and my brother will on board to ensure that the little guy is well taken care of while i focus on the drive.
    Thank you Kumar for having us join the convoy.

Much regards
    Thomas

January 16, 2013 at 5:45 pm #22133
    quote thomasinasu:

Hello Humayun, Roshan & Firoz

Thank you very much for your words of caution and advice. Zach’s not 3 yet but he’s had his fair share of going off the beaten track and so far has had a swell time bobbing up and down. We are well equipped with the Maxicosi Isofix base and seat. The wife and my brother will on board to ensure that the little guy is well taken care of while i focus on the drive.
    Thank you Kumar for having us join the convoy.

Much regards
    Thomas

Hey.. Thomas… you are well equipped to handle your junior offroader ๐Ÿ˜€ :-BD See you on Friday. Drive safe, have good fun :-BD ๐Ÿ™‚

January 17, 2013 at 5:49 am #22149

Hi Kumar

Nice to hear you have the compressor !
    I will be coming this Friday afternoon ! After a long while – in the mornings I am always in the desert too – but then on my KTM motorcycle – Very physical ๐Ÿ™‚

January 17, 2013 at 8:13 am #22153

Dear Kumar
    Somethin cropped up which I must address this Friday…hence derostering from this drive, regrettably!!!
    Will look to drive in ur company soon, in future…
    Many thanks.

January 17, 2013 at 8:56 am #22156
    quote razik:

Dear Kumar
    Somethin cropped up which I must address this Friday…hence derostering from this drive, regrettably!!!
    Will look to drive in ur company soon, in future…
    Many thanks.

No problem Razik, carry on :-BD
    See you during the next drive :). Take Care

January 17, 2013 at 10:29 am #22160

Convoy is allotted, please check the very first drive post for convoy details ๐Ÿ™‚
    Further drive registrations are welcome – convoy changes will be made accordingly by late evening.
    Please contact your respective convoy’s lead marshal for queries, information and in case of any changes.
    See you all tomorrow at the meeting point, on time :-BD
    Drive safe and have good fun :drive: :drive: :drive:

January 17, 2013 at 10:52 am #22162

Can you please take me in too….

January 18, 2013 at 2:18 am #22170

sorry sorry sorry – have to pull out!

January 18, 2013 at 3:29 pm #22171

Hi guys,

Great day out for me today. Thanks everyone for the help and good organisation. This is the kind of scene you want for starting off-roading.

It was my first drive so I’m gonna post my experience for other ppl who want to try and wanna know what is like.

First of all make sure the traction control is off before you start. In my car (Prado) you got to press the button and hold it until two icons came on your dash. I didn’t know that. I just pressed the button once and got on icon saying trc off however was still on. As a result I started the drive with ESP on and felt it however I was confused as the icon on my dash was saying is off. I asked Saif why I’m getting my power cut up the dune and he told me to hold the button pressed for couple of secs to switch off the trc. Which I did and after that it was a lot easier.

Another thing I learnt is that you really have to wait till the car in front of you clears the dune completely, especially on the way up. I sometimes didn’t wait enough and when the car in front of me had some difficulty I had to slow down and lost my momentum. As a result I got stuck, had to stop and reverse couple of times because of that.

Another thing is that is really good to have a Walkie talkie. I didn’t have one but half way through one kind gentleman lent me one and I could see the difference. Apart from getting help over it you just know what’s going on the convoy, why it stopped etc. you might think you don’t need one cos its you first drive but you do, especially cos its your first drive.

My tire came off the rim at some point and I don’t really know why. I was told that it can happen to anyone, sometimes when you hit something harder with your wheel.
    I got to thank again Saif and the rest for fixing it for me. I’d like to say that it was done on purpose so everyone else could see how it gets fixed but that was not the case.

On the way to the Pink Rock I drove using semi-automatic, changing the gears with + and – selector. On the way back I drove all the way in automatic in D and found it easier. Although I drove manuals all my life and Im aware you can control the car better with manual shifting, for my first drive I found it easier in full automatic. I can only assume its because of my lack of experience. It lets me focus more on the track and getting the right approach.

This is as much as I can recall for now, hope my impression will help others before they start.

I really enjoyed it and Im aware I just got a taste of it for now. Looking forward for the next drive.

Cheerio

A wee photo of the experience.

January 18, 2013 at 4:20 pm #22174

Thanks Mitch for your comments and Iam happy to know to really enjoyed the drive and the experience…

Hope to see you regularly every weekend…

Cheers

January 18, 2013 at 6:35 pm #22181

Around 21 cars in total in 2 convoys – newbie and fewbee.. Guys, where’s the feedback and reports :YMBRINGITON: :YMBRINGITON: :YMBRINGITON:
    Thanks Mitch for sharing your learning experience. :thanks: Precisely, it is what we talked during pre-drive briefing :-BD ๐Ÿ™‚

January 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm #22187

The Newbie drive today was awesome and so was the organisation, hospitality and guidance from all of the DO crew.

For me and from my perspective, I didn’t have the strongest 4×4 for dune bashing and I came prepared with a big shovel expecting to do a lot of digging. However, with excellent guides, great company with all the other drivers and passengers, perfect weather and lots of luck I completed the drive without any issues. Sitting at the back of the ‘classroom’ worked just fine for me because I could watch various cars ahead to see if and why they got stuck or had success through the dunes.

I am really impressed with the organised event and the strong focus on safety, I am keen to go again.

January 18, 2013 at 7:31 pm #22188
    quote DVG:

The Newbie drive today was awesome and so was the organisation, hospitality and guidance from all of the DO crew.

For me and from my perspective, I didn’t have the strongest 4×4 for dune bashing and I came prepared with a big shovel expecting to do a lot of digging. However, with excellent guides, great company with all the other drivers and passengers, perfect weather and lots of luck I completed the drive without any issues. Sitting at the back of the ‘classroom’ worked just fine for me because I could watch various cars ahead to see if and why they got stuck or had success through the dunes.

I am really impressed with the organised event and the strong focus on safety, I am keen to go again.

Thanks David for your lovely comments….you did absolutely gr8 with ur Armada…indeed appreciable…see you soon for more drives with us…

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.