Newbie + Intermediate 13/07/2012 Friday evening

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

WAT A DRIVE !! Full of ACTION & DRAMA :-ss …..its was our pleasure :ymhug: to help Tushar, Yusuf was a great company too loaded with expertness….i would like to thank Sam :thanks: for helping me to fix my gear shirt lever locking slide clip..”TAPE WORKS”!! thanks Kumar for a wonderful drive!! c u all next week :drive: !!

quote Tushar:

A nice drive again, with a slight twist to the Drive format. The Newbies and Intermediate Convoy was led by Gkumar towards the Iftar Bowl, whereas Gerald and Humayun were leading a couple of Marshals across unmarked Terrain towards the Bowl from Tawi.

I wish to mention and appreciate Geralds driving skills as a lead, this being his first time. He was given an additional responsiblity to take approaches bearing in mind the families & infant in the vehicles following him. Exceptional composure shown by him under this special task apart from a first time lead.

Special thanks goes to Sam,Gkumar, Abdullah & Jayesh for having volunteered to help rescue Ryans Jeep.

I just heard the long and Short of the rescue trip, heres the summary:

Ryans Jeep breaks Down
    Jayesh Stays back to give company
    Sam, Kumar, Abdulla, Humayun Go back to fetch :yesss:
    Sam pulls the Yellow toy with the F150
    After some distance Yellow toy loses a Tooth (Front Hook) 😮
    Tow attached to Front Bumper Inner frame
    Frame Starts to bend
    Decide to abandon car 🙁
    Kumar takes the lead
    F150 Transmission issues 🙁
    Sam n Jayesh Try to fix with Duct Tape 😕
    Humayun goes round and round-pops a tire 😮
    Transmission gets fixed :yesss:
    Abdulla helps fix pop out
    People come out Safely….Mabrook :ymhug: :ymhug: :drive:

My appreciation goes out to the Spirit of offroading and Families of our members who went back in and stayed along with Ryan for 5 hours after the sun had set in an effort to get the vehicle back.
    :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: Sam, Kumar, Abdulla, Jayesh, Humayun :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymhug: :ymhug:

July 14, 2012 at 4:27 am #17656

Thanks Tushar! My thanks to you, Sattu and Ali for the constant encouragement. Really appreciate it!

The first 15 minutes were tense for me, trying to work out easy routes instead of heading straight over, but I got the hang of it after that
    (Must mention Gkumar and his look before you leap approach – thanks man!) and towards the end I felt like I wanted to lead for another 2 hours somewhere else!

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Kudos to our other members for their efforts. Truly we have some of the best spirited team mates in this club!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

July 14, 2012 at 6:10 am #17657

Thanks Tushar for the great report as usual :thanks: 🙂 I will post one later, after completion of few pending tasks.

Gerry, I am very happy for you on your achievement 🙂 You have come a long way ahead man!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
    You have truly justified your signature statement!!! Apart from many other good qualities, your efforts, patience, learning attitude and discipline had started paying you back :-BD :-BD :-BD
    Its my pleasure, if the look and leap approach helped you in navigating :ymblushing: We all are here to share and learn. Now I look forward to drive in your convoy 😀
    Keep up the good job bro. still a long way ahead!

July 14, 2012 at 7:39 am #17660

Congrats to Gerry on his first ‘lead’ drive! Always knew you had it in you…

Many thanks as well to Abdullah and GKumar for their help in recovering the mighty Ram after a bit of ‘driver error’! For a tank, it really wasn’t half bad in the sand, if no match for my old LC.

As always, great to see new faces like Andy and Chris out in the sand and glad to see everyone made it home safe in the end. See you all after Ramadan!

July 14, 2012 at 11:31 am #17665

An “Action packed thriller drive” may be the apt brief description of the drive!!!

The newbee convoy of 10 cars started the drive from Tawi to Badayer via pyramids after the briefing by 5:15pm. The convoy had few first timers in sands, who were very well supported by senior members, Zarir and Mahaan at the middle, Jayesh and Abdullah at sweep. Thanks for the excellent job guys :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Though there were few initial hesitations and minor hiccups, the convoy was having reasonable momentum and crossed the first high dune at ease and comfortably reached at the top of second dune. Chris was driving very good, right behind the lead car followed by Zarir cruising with a much more capable toy. They were laying proper route for Andy and Amer to tackle, with excellent backup from Mahan and Imtishan :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Rayan’s wrangler got heated up resulting in transmission failure, forcing himself and Jayesh to stop at the top of first dune 🙁 Since it was taking some time, rest of the convoy was halted at top of second dune and the lead returned to Rayan. We tried to cool down the machine, but it was not showing any signs of progress. At this point, we had to take a call as it was getting dark :-ss

Wanted to avoid the driving in dark for the first timers and also few members were with their families. Hence we decided to leave Ryan at the same spot with the company of Jayesh and Yousuf, after noting the coordinates. Lead joined back the convoy and continued the drive to Badayer taking the safest possible route. Imthishan got detoured followed by Andy. Imtishan’s monster got struck at an awkward pocket. Thanks to the brave recovery efforts of Abdullah for the quick recovery of the monster. It helped the convoy to make use of the final fading day light, to reach Badayer very safely :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Here starts the action packed thriller episode – “Rescue Mission” :yesss: In consultation with the Chief, formed the rescue team – Sam, Abdullah, Humayun and myself. The mission drive started at 7.45pm and I was given the task to lead the rescue convoy to Rayan, who was away 2.8kms direct routing from Badayer. We took the fastest route to reach him in less than 7 minutes. The wrangler was still not showing any signs to move by its own.

We attached wrangler with a tow rope to F150 and started to tow. After about 800 meters the tow hook of the wrangler broke off. Sam and Yousuf removed few bumper clips and attached the tow rope to the inner bumper frame and we continued to tow. After reaching a point, which was 1.4kms far from Badayer at around 9.15pm, we decided to leave the wrangler in sands to recover next day morning, because the frame had started to bend. We continued our return drive to Badayer, but were soon had to face couple of troubles.

F150’s transmission failed, thanks to the mechanical skills of Sam for very quickly fixing the broken transmission link, using insulation tape. By this time, Humayun popped out his tire at the next dune. After fixing pop out, we continued our trip to reach Badayer safely by 10.30pm, inflated and headed home by around 10.45pm :-BD :-BD :-BD Today forenoon, the wrangler was recovered after it spent yesterday’s night alone in sands, but untouched 🙂

Rayan, we share your sorrow, and sorry for the mishap buddy. Take it as a good testing experience, which you can recall at a later stage, once you master the sands :-BD You have been driving good, till your toy gave up 🙁

Thank you Chris, Andy, Amer for the good drive, Zarir, Mahaan and Imthishan for the great support. Look forward for many more drives with you guys in future :thanks: :drive:
    Words are not enough to praise the great support and good spirit of Abdullah and Yousef ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Sam you were great as usual, proved once again your compatibility to any adverse situation :-BD :ymapplause: Jayesh, thanks for your efforts and contributions at sweep and recovery mission. You are truly a strength to any convoy :thanks: Humayan, thanks for all your contributions :thanks:

July 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm #17668

Thanks all for a nice drive. Kumar your track selection was brilliant keeping in mind the level of drivers. Easy but with enough exposure to the dunes and pyramids. I appreciated it even more as it gave me a chance to get to know my new toy a little better.

Amer and andy – welcome to the club. hope you guys enjoyed yourselves yest. looking fwd to seeing you guys in the sand soon. Am sure you will enjoy more with each day out as you get to know your cars better.

Ryan – hope ur toy gets sorted out soon with a permanent fix. am sure u will agree with me now when i had said that the marshalls and seniors ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-BD :-BD :-BD here are unrelentingly supportive.

have a nice week all.

July 15, 2012 at 5:49 am #17677

Excellent report Kumar :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Though I couldnt make it for the drive, the entire episode is right in front of my eyes….Well done guys….Because of such experienced Marshals and Rescue Unit Team, everyone at Dubai Offroaders Club always enjoy their drives every Friday whatever the situation turns up…

Gr8 job… :thanks:

Cheers :-BD

July 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm #17698

Sorry i am late .
    i dont i can add much more to Marshal Kumar’s report.
    i was nice to meet new ppl. and old 1s too,
    we had nice trip all in all .
    and the misshaps r part of the game. and a learning prosses.
    i just like to add the while fixing the popout we had 2 un invited visitors showed up (scorpioins).
    we di took care of them .

i hope to c u all soon on the sand,.

July 16, 2012 at 3:44 am #17700
    quote Dune Rider:

Sorry i am late .
    i dont i can add much more to Marshal Kumar’s report.
    i was nice to meet new ppl. and old 1s too,
    we had nice trip all in all .
    and the misshaps r part of the game. and a learning prosses.
    i just like to add the while fixing the popout we had 2 un invited visitors showed up (scorpioins).
    we di took care of them .

i hope to c u all soon on the sand,.

Ooops!!! I completely missed in my report about those important uninvited visitors during the final phase of our trip… which made us to scamper around :))

July 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm #17714

oh yes…at that point of time i understood the importance of wearing shoes…i was wearing shoes but removed it near iftar bowl due to inconvenience…when fixing my cars pop out at late night 10pm, the uninvited guests scorpion came in & were crushed to death…Lesson learned by me at very high risk…

July 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm #17721

Just recalling one of the old post; may be useful….

First Aid For Snake & Spider Bite & Scorpion Sting in Desert
    http://www.dubaioffroadlive.local/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1218

July 16, 2012 at 6:55 pm #17723
    quote Desert King:

Just recalling one of the old post; may be useful….

First Aid For Snake & Spider Bite & Scorpion Sting in Desert
    http://www.dubaioffroadlive.local/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1218

Topic stuck. Cannot let such a topic go down just because it’s old.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.