Newbie + Intermediate – 16/11/2012 Friday Afternoon Drive

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    quote GKumar:

quote Chris:

This will be my last drive with DO. My job contract ends so I’m going back home to The Netherlands.

So finally you are going to leave us ๐Ÿ™ =((
    Chris, you are a true offroader and a quick learner who picked up the trade in a very short span of time. I still remember your initial offroad days with us, in my convoy – got stuck at the entry point itself at Area 53 without a tow hooks for recovery ๐Ÿ˜€ On a quick recall, its evident that you have come far far ahead buddy :-BD Your sincerity, dedication and discipline had paid you off very well :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
    I am sure the stuff you learned here will come to use some where at some point of time…. ๐Ÿ™‚
    You will be away from us in sands but not from here in the forum… ๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah I remember that. Just a hook at the rear ๐Ÿ˜• but the expert DO staff got me out anyways :ymhug:
    Thanks for your kind words. It’s been an amazing 6 months with DO! As you said, I learned a lot and am really thankfull to all DO marshals and senior members who helped me improve my skills. I’ll remember DO as a fantastic group of people. I am sure I’ll be back at some point in time! maybe just for a vacation but still….
    I’ll try to stay on the forum. At least if I can take it reading all the stories without being able to participate :-s.

November 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm #20211

I’ll be there too :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

November 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm #20212

hey Chris, it was fun driving with you, as kumar said indeed ur were one of the quickest learner we had, do meet us when ever your back in Dubai…have a great future ahead, we will miss u !!

quote Chris:

This will be my last drive with DO. My job contract ends so I’m going back home to The Netherlands.
    I have some offroad gear in the car that I need to get rid of. whoever is interested, come meet me after the drive tomorrow, I’ll have a little trunk sale ๐Ÿ˜€
    I have: A Quansheng Radio(6 months old, programmed with DO frequencies), Snatch strap+shakles and gloves in a bag (from ACE, not worn out), Very comfy camping chair and cheap sleeping mat (both used twice), wheel wrench, 2 ton hydraulic jack from dragon mart, Some small stuff like superglue, ductape, tyre repair kit.
    I lost my flagpole today in the pyramids area so if someone happens to find the thing there, it’s yours ๐Ÿ™‚

See you all tomorrow!

November 15, 2012 at 8:05 pm #20213

I will add my self with one of my friend also, So count me as 2, Friend is also a newbie (A Prado, 4ltr)

November 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm #20214
    quote mani:

I’ll be there too :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

Welcome to Dubai Offroaders!!!
    Follow the instructions of Marshals, drive safe and have good fun :drive:

November 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm #20215
    quote forgoz:

I will add my self with one of my friend also, So count me as 2, Friend is also a newbie (A Prado, 4ltr)

David, Welcome to Dubai Offroaders!!!
    We welcome your friend as well to DO and the newbie drive. Can you please ask your friend to register at the website by accepting DO disclaimers and formally register for the drive.
    Follow the instructions of the Marshals, drive safe and have good fun :drive:

November 16, 2012 at 6:37 am #20217

Hi Kumar,

Just wanted to check if I can join in for the afternoon drive :drive: ? Hope it’s not too late to register.

November 16, 2012 at 7:35 am #20219
    quote gagan911:

Hi Kumar,
    Just wanted to check if I can join in for the afternoon drive :drive: ? Hope it’s not too late to register.

You are welcome Gagan, see u at the meeting point ๐Ÿ™‚ :drive:

November 16, 2012 at 7:42 am #20220

Hi tiger, I’ll be bringing 3 friends with their respective cars. All experienced offroaders with more than 50 drives under their belts. I’ve been raving about Dubai offroaders to them so they gonna join us for this drive. Will register them now

November 16, 2012 at 7:45 am #20221
    quote satyen:

Hi tiger, I’ll be bringing 3 friends with their respective cars. All experienced offroaders with more than 50 drives under their belts. I’ve been raving about Dubai offroaders to them so they gonna join us for this drive. Will register them now

Perfect Satyen! See you all the meeting point

November 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm #20225

Unfortunately, I came late due to poor timing to the destination, We wrongly judged the start timing as 03:00 PM so we halted at outlet mall by 01:30 PM and roam around and came late to the pump then call GKUMAR, Oops 14 KM inside….Cried and came back. BTW I missed the petrol pump exit and gone to some other area, Then…..

Now: Created a perfect calendar entry for my iPhone, For the next drive..

November 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm #20226

I was part of Kumar’s convoy in the sweep with Gerry. It was well led by Kumar and with a simple start he went on to test the skills of the newbies and the second part was almost to intermediate level. There were some small stucks and the lead having got to replace his tyre. Other than this the convoy did well in time time to reach the destination.

Well done Kumar and good job by Gerry in the Sweep.
    :thanks: :thanks:
    I should congratulate all drivers for keeping up to the standard and they need an applause for this. :ymhug: :drive: :ymhug:

See you all in the next drive. :drive: :thanks:

November 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm #20227
    quote forgoz:

Unfortunately, I came late due to poor timing to the destination, We wrongly judged the start timing as 03:00 PM so we halted at outlet mall by 01:30 PM and roam around and came late to the pump then call GKUMAR, Oops 14 KM inside….Cried and came back. BTW I missed the petrol pump exit and gone to some other area, Then…..
    Now: Created a perfect calendar entry for my iPhone, For the next drive..

It was very unfortunate David ๐Ÿ™
    By the time I received your call, we were deep inside dunes and there was no way I could help you to join the convoy. Don’t worry mate, see you very soon during the next drive :-BD

Also I am sorry to Ben (The Wise Monkey) to reject your last moment call to join the convoy, since it will be too late for you to join us as we departed from the meeting point by around 1.53 pm ๐Ÿ™

November 16, 2012 at 6:23 pm #20230

Newbee Drive Details:-
    Date: Nov 16, 2012 1:54 pm
    Distance: 55.2 kilometers
    Elapsed Time: 1:53:31
    Max Speed: 74.2 km/h
    Min Altitude: 161 m
    Max Altitude: 260 m

Start Location:
    Latitude: 24ยบ 41′ 26″ N
    Longitude: 55ยบ 38′ 03″ E
    Finish Location:
    Latitude: 24ยบ 41′ 29″ N
    Longitude: 55ยบ 37′ 58″ E

View Map:- http://goo.gl/maps/LXa7Y

This newbee drive route was very recently introduced to us by SIR with a slide sloping drive at Intermediate to Advanced level. Hence it was a real task to take a newbie convoy (13 cars) with few absolute newbies to this challenging terrain. But this task was simplified on having support of few senior and capable offroaders in newbie convoy, allotted by the Chairman for convoy support. Amjed was the second lead car, Frioz and Krishnan at the middle and our own favorite sweep in charge – Marshal Gerry :-BD The team did an awesome job in resolving all hiccups in no time with excellent coordination and were in full control all the time ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ My pace at lead was fully controlled by the team, over radio all the time :))

I did had another challenge to provide reasonable fun to few experienced members who were also part of newbie convoy. I did my best to find an acceptable compromise between both newbie and adventure… ๐Ÿ˜€ But how far I succeeded will be confirmed by the comments to come.. ๐Ÿ™‚

I ran into an unexpected trouble by almost middle of the drive. Hope the ghosts finally managed to take revenge upon me for invading their habitat yesterday… :)) While crossing an unpaved road in the middle of dunes, I failed to notice an abandoned electric pole foundation with just the rusted bolts only visible on sand surface. Result – my rear right tyre was ripped off :(( Continued the drive after replacing it with spare tyre, but the ghosts struck once again after about 10 KMS. The replaced spare tyre started losing air from the rim ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Since we didn’t had much time left for sunset, didnt spent time to repair, instead borrowed the spare tyre from Amjed and continued on our mission to reach tarmac before it gets dark.

No problem, its one of those inevitable risks of being at lead.. ๐Ÿ™‚ and I am happy to avoid the same trouble to anybody else in the convoy, though Krishnan had a near miss.. :YMPRAY:

I am sorry guys, for the time we lost for the above, which had also forced us to race against time during last phase of the drive for reaching the deflation point before getting dark. Thanks Gerry, Krishnan, Amjed, Firoz and Mathews for all your support in this tyres business… ๐Ÿ˜€

No doubt, everybody did a great job in making this drive successful at a challenging terrain with no major issues. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: Good confidence and driving skills were at display by all through out the drive :-BD :-BD :-BD Look forward to drive many more with you all :drive: :drive: :drive:

Guys, you all are welcome to cast here your comments, feedback, suggestion and experience… ๐Ÿ™‚

November 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm #20231

No doubt about today’s drive lead by Kumar, excellent pace & momentum by all drivers, although i had 2 stucks as the area was with too soft sand, perfect timing, excellent terrain and full of energy with the newbee & senior offroaders of DO had an awesome drive after 3 weeks been off the sands and missed my jeep for the drive, its the second time missing the jeep in this area which i really wanted to drive with.
    Thanks to Gerry & Krishan for the rescue & sweep and Lead Marshall Kumar for the fun filled drive.
    Thank you to all the DO members at today’s drive and hope to see u all again very soon for next drive.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.