Newbie + Intermediate – 16/11/2012 Friday Afternoon Drive

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author

It was a great drive which was very much organized and lead by an excellent Marshall and all other assistants. We enjoyed a lot and looking forward for next drive very soon. Thanks for all and wish you all a very fresh start after the holidays. :ymapplause: :thanks:
    Best Regards

November 17, 2012 at 5:42 am #20234

Hi guys,
    It was a fun drive and the first time out with DO, and the first time for my old jeep!!
    Special thnx to Yosef to figuring out how to fix that wrangler while the other marshal/ sweeper was ready to call the quits from the first two seconds on that car! that guy fixed it with a wire from a charger and plastic clip:)
    Anyway hope to see the photos soon and thnx to DO

November 17, 2012 at 6:37 am #20235

Good Morning Everybody….

Amazing…. Excellent…. and most thrilling… :drive: :drive:

:thanks: many many :thanks: to ‘GK’ The Man Behind this successful DRIVE. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ .

and to Mr. Krishnan, Firoz, Gerry, Amjed and every body who lead and rescued us.

special :thanks: to Firoz and Family.

:thanks: to all fellow DOs with jeeps, patrols, fortuners, FJs….

I think GK’s intention was to give us a mild training of intermediate drive…and i think he succeeded in his mission as we all done well..
    that’s why all newbie wish GK to be their lead ‘MARSHAL’…

Heard the intermediate drive lead by our Chairman and Sam was amazing… Congrats to all :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Looking forward for similar drives in coming days…. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Shabeer

November 17, 2012 at 10:08 am #20238

one of the best drives iv been to so far. and it was interesting to see the difference in driving styles between the marshalls/head honchos of the group. For the first half of the drive with Tushar in the lead its apparant that he favors the bigger dunes, challenging ascends and tricky ridge crossing. Ahmed bhai on the other hand, who took over the lead in the latter half, prefers a fast paced drive, almost always side sloping at 35 degrees angle, kissing the edge of the ridge without actually breaking it or crossing over.

Tushar’s drive is kinda like an adrenaline rush cause he will attempt to take you across that wierd angle between two dunes, or going through the sides of a bowl and across the ridge, in the process building your confidence.

Ahmed bhai’s drive is so fast past that you just have to keep going, not only to catch up but also because you will only manage to stay close to the ridge if you have enough momentum, or else you will start side sloping.

Im not sure if my relatively amateur powers of preception has done any justice to the styles of the Tushar and Ahmed Bhai. But perhaps we need to start another thread where we get the lead marshalls to define their driving styles in their own words, and what offroading skills you need to hone in order to perfect those styles!

November 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm #20243

An Amazing turn up and an excellent drive for the weekend to end……

Once we left for the deflation point from Adnoc pump, all the cars were lined up and the entire convoy was divided in two groups of new bees and intermediate….The new bee convoy was led by Kumar with Gerry as his sweep….The intermediate one was led by Tushar with Sam as his passenger for their own Marshal run for the next week’s challenge….Ahmedbhai was the second car with his FJ followed by Satyen and others…

For the first time in my offroading experience with one and only one group in UAE, Dubai Offroaders, I was been assigned the job of sweep with Yousef. 8-} 8-} 8-} After the briefing about the drive by Ahmedbhai and Tushar, we started the intermediate level drive to test the convoy’s driving skills and ability….It was quite a challenging drive with an absolute pace, but the pace was a bit too much for some of our drivers…..at first the land cruiser rested on a crest which i had to pull it out….later on Satyen got sunk into a soft patch for which Yousef recovered him and then we had to change the track to reach the lead….

Later on we had the Jeep Cherokee stuck and it was recovered too very soon and we proceeded further….It was very difficult for the sweep to contact the lead marshal over the radio as the distance was too much to catch the frequency…..Then we started off again, the Jeep Wrangler broke its gearbox and was stuck in a very bad position ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ .

He was first made to land in a proper way and then Yousef and Tushar with all their technical and mechanical expertise, fixed his gear box temporarily and then Tushar led him to the road as it was impossible for him to continue the drive…..In the meantime Tushar instructed me to locate where Ahmedbhai and the other cars are so that the drive can be continued further.

i would kindly like to request all the drivers of our club to please keep a look at your car behind u and not the front one…..Even if u have lost the sight of the car in front of you, you can be called back….but if you lost your car behind you, its gets too difficult for the cars behind to contact the lead marshal for the rescue…..WE HAVE TO DRIVE WITH THE CARS BEHIND US AND NOT IN FRONT OF US……

Ahmedbhai with the other cars had crossed our point from the other side and had reached a point which was nearly a km or more….So i reached the point alone with my Navigation skills (hehehehehehe… ๐Ÿ˜€ i loved doing it alone) and then when Tushar joined us there, they decided to break the convoy again. Ahmedbhai would lead the cars to the road via dunes and Tushar along with Sam in the passenger seat, myself and Yousef will continue our drive as planned.

Our drive was an absolute pace one and Tushar made me experience all the dips, curves, crest, slide sloping, etc etc etc……and finally at one point when Tushar slided down a dune, the area at the bottom was a sinking sand area and Tushar sunk into it….I was behind him so i thought i would go through the sideways but then I too got sunk…..Yousef was the only man left standing on ther top of the dune in an awkward position and he had to get down to clear it….but the place where he landed, there was a pocket and a thick patch of bush where he got stuck…….The one thing which Sam made me realise the mistake was the distance between cars due to which all the three cars were stuck…..if there was good gap between me and Tushar I could have much more time to decide my route……Thanks for the guidance Sam…..I would really take care of this learning Samy…. ๐Ÿ™‚

As everyone said, the ghosts were taking revenge for entering their area on thursday, all the three cars were sunk into the soft patch next to each other…..atleast one car has to be recovered to pull out the other two cars…..but it wasnt that easy…..

I tried calling Kumar and Gerry so that we can get some winch support to recover us out…..but Kumar informed me about the issues he had with his car…so we all decided that its upto us now to do something……It was already getting darker….

I really appreciate and thank Yousef for all his efforts and hard work he had to put in to recover ourselves….first we tried with Tushar’s car but it was in vain….then we tried Yousef’s car too but there was no result…..then my Pajero was tested and we were able to move it a bit….but then it was again in vain….Then Yousef decided to deflate his tyres just to 2 psi and then we all tried to push his car out and was finally succeeded….Then he pulled Tushar and my Pajero. We nearly spent one and half hour at this particular spot and then we proceeded towards the road and reached Adnoc where we met Kumar and others and shared our day’s experiences…..

To put it all together in one line – It was an awesome and fantastic drive…..thanks a ton Tushar, Ahmedbhai, Sam and Kumar for the excellent lead :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: .

See you all next friday for the GPS Challenge Drive and i wish Best Of Luck to all the participants…..including me ๐Ÿ˜€ :-BD

Cheers

November 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm #20248
    quote Ganesh:

….later on Satyen got sunk into a soft patch for which Yousef recovered him and then we had to change the track to reach the lead….

Are you sure it was a soft patch and not a bowl??
    =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

November 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm #20249
    quote Robinson:

quote Ganesh:

….later on Satyen got sunk into a soft patch for which Yousef recovered him and then we had to change the track to reach the lead….

Are you sure it was a soft patch and not a bowl??
    =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Hah… I only feel safe getting into bowls when the winchman is there to pull me out!

November 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm #20253

After effects of Ghost attack:-

After 1/2 day hard efforts, managed to locate a pair of new shoes for my camel at Sharjah. Realized that this tyre is a hot cake and does not remain in stock ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

My camel is ready again for full action :-BD :drive:

Lesson learned:- Be extra careful and look for abandoned electric pole foundations, construction wastes and other perilous materials for rubber, while crossing or driving along unpaved roads in deserts…. ๐Ÿ˜€

November 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm #20254
    quote Ganesh:

WE HAVE TO DRIVE WITH THE CARS BEHIND US AND NOT IN FRONT OF US……

Very important point and a very basic convoy rule, which we keep repeating at every drive briefing. Please follow this…. :thanks:

November 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm #20268

Waiting for the Lead Marshal’s report ….

November 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm #20270

Well planned and organised drive…started as newbie, moved to Fewbee …then back through unpaved road due to the time limitation :yesss: :yesss:

Thanks Kumarji for the wonderful lead, :thanks: to Krishnanji, Gerry, Amjed and :thanks: to the whole convey.

All should be happy that; everyone learned something;
    1. How ripped off tyre scenario happens(very rare situation);
    2. How to remove the spare wheel from the rusted nuts and bolt… (this always happens as we don’t look into the spare tyres which are covered)
    3. What to do in case the spare tyre also runs to trouble…

Yes..these are all lessons :yesss: ….part of training. :ymhug: :ymhug: (sorry kumarji for the loss of one tyre during training ๐Ÿ™ ). But it is worth learning.

November 21, 2012 at 5:08 am #20340

some pictures from the drive, just a few was taken by the green wrangler that had to leave coz of the gear box switch!

[url=http://postimage.org/image/a2kr90stb/][/u

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.