Offroad Walkie Talkie FAQ

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    quote Jean Pierre:

Hi,

I am also looking for Walkie Talkie and I found Motorola “Talkabout MR 350 R” at 690 AED for a pair.
    Is it a good choice ?

If not any recommendation ?
    Thanks
    JP

Motorola is a good buy, the GP-338Plus is the one most commonly used by DO staff :ymhug: , 250AED each (275 Normally) to DO members at the following shop in Dragon Mart. You can also pick up a spare battery for 45AED, and for longer trips a cable for in-car charging.
    You can go the shop # BAI-05 (Shengda Trading) and tell the sales lady that u r from DO and get her to set our frequencies, she has a list of the frequencies we use. ๐Ÿ˜€

There is also the Motorola 777 a made in China model @ 200AED approx, but not available from that shop. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

If you buy from another shop, take a copy of the frequencies with you and get the shop to set them, it’s not as straight forward as first seems ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

January 21, 2014 at 4:43 am #28748
    quote Jean Pierre:

Hi,

I am also looking for Talkie Walkie and I found Motorola “Talkabout MR 350 R” at 690 AED for a pair.
    Is it a good choice ?

If not any recommendation ?
    Thanks
    JP

Hi Jean,

As long as its a UHF and it lets you select / program your frequencies then you are good to go but it does seem on the higher side compared to what the usual ones are available at DM.

Duncan ( ) from the club also had a spare pair which he was looking to offer memebers at a discounted price so you might wanna check with him as well.

Cheers

January 22, 2014 at 3:07 am #28764

Hi

Brianj and Zarir thanks for your advices
    I will go Dragon Mart this evening to buy one TW>
    Have a good day
    JP

January 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm #28796

Just wanted to re-confirm that DUBISHENGPA sells good Motorola WT for 250 AED and sets the channels for you. The shop has a different name I think though their name card states DUBISHENGPA.
    Anyway, there is also another Motorola for 200 AED sold in other shops but I would avoid this one as it looks a bit fake-ish and appears to be difficult to use/set up channels. I can’t remember the model names but there is also a clear difference in packaging, labels and user manual quality that can help to tell which is which.

January 28, 2014 at 12:01 pm #28821
    quote Artur Loza:

Just wanted to re-confirm that DUBISHENGPA sells good Motorola WT for 250 AED and sets the channels for you. The shop has a different name I think though their name card states DUBISHENGPA.
    Anyway, there is also another Motorola for 200 AED sold in other shops but I would avoid this one as it looks a bit fake-ish and appears to be difficult to use/set up channels. I can’t remember the model names but there is also a clear difference in packaging, labels and user manual quality that can help to tell which is which.

Artur is totally correct, the 200AED Motorola is the 777 model and is a made in China version , however there is nothing to say that it won’t do the job. The finish might be different to the 338plus model which is made in Malaysia, I think. Whichever you choose the brand name is good ๐Ÿ˜€

February 22, 2014 at 8:01 am #29136

Hi Guys,

Just signed up to DO site, planning to join you guys soon, Let me go to Dragon mart in a couple of days and try to pick up a Motorola one from BAI-05 (Shengda Trading) like Mr BrianJ suggested.

Thanks !!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Exited to start offroading with you guys as a Newbie

February 22, 2014 at 12:27 pm #29138

Just an update for everyone I went to Dragonmart yesterday and picked up 2 walkie talkies from this shop suggested. As soon as I said the model the guy asked if I was from Dubai Offroaders and they programmed both in 5 minutes and paid AED 250 each.

February 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm #29140

Thanks Davis, that’s nice to hear ๐Ÿ™‚ can u let me know the exact model u purchased so I will also go and ask for the same?

February 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm #29142
    quote David Jarvis:

Just an update for everyone I went to Dragonmart yesterday and picked up 2 walkie talkies from this shop suggested. As soon as I said the model the guy asked if I was from Dubai Offroaders and they programmed both in 5 minutes and paid AED 250 each.

:-BD :-BD :-BD

March 23, 2015 at 12:10 pm #32461

Hi

Im new to this group. Pretty excited to join you guys on the future trips.
    Planning to get the walkitalki that everyone is talking about on this forum.

Just wanted to check if this is the right one one to get ‘motorolla GP-338Plus’ from BAI-05 (Shengda Trading) Dragon mart which cost AED 250.

Also do i need to get a pair or just one is enough?

Thanks in advance
    Ayas

March 23, 2015 at 12:13 pm #32462
    quote Aeyaz:

Hi

Im new to this group. Pretty excited to join you guys on the future trips.
    Planning to get the walkitalki that everyone is talking about on this forum.

Just wanted to check if this is the right one one to get ‘motorolla GP-338Plus’ from BAI-05 (Shengda Trading) Dragon mart which cost AED 250.

Also do i need to get a pair or just one is enough?

Thanks in advance
    Ayas

Model and shop details are correct. Single piece would do. Adding on a car charger might be safer.

March 23, 2015 at 1:01 pm #32466

Thanks for the quick reply

December 28, 2015 at 8:28 pm #34534

Hi Guys,
    I bought a radio couple of weeks ago but unfortunately it is not possible to enter the above mentioned frequencies.

Can you please confirm which are the curren valid frequencies I need for the dessert tour?

Furthermore, do you know any radio recommendation and a place where to buy?

Thanks
    Maik

December 29, 2015 at 3:42 am #34535
    quote maik883:

Hi Guys,
    I bought a radio couple of weeks ago but unfortunately it is not possible to enter the above mentioned frequencies.

Can you please confirm which are the curren valid frequencies I need for the dessert tour?

Furthermore, do you know any radio recommendation and a place where to buy?

Thanks
    Maik

Hi Maik,

You need a radio VHF/UHF frequencies. This can be bought in Dragon Mart Shop No:- BAI 05 – Sheng Da Trading.

I would guess that you bought a radio with preset channels which is not suitable.

I would suggest you buy a Motorola and it will cost around 250 AED. If you take the frequencies list the guy in the shop will program it for you but you should also understand how to operate it yourself in case we ever decide to use a non stored frequency.

December 29, 2015 at 1:26 pm #34541

Also be sure you buy the radio that has frequencies above 400. The motorola, and others, have versions with frequency ranges sub 200. You will not be able to program it with our frequencies if you get this version. You can always check by looking at the writing on the battery (at least in the motorolas).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.