Offroad Walkie Talkie FAQ

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author

Thanks Guys for all your information.. Finally picked my walkie. The Motorola GP338Plus. Thanks for the referral, the staff was very friendly..

January 2, 2016 at 7:07 pm #34578

This should help those members who have Radio were we have to manually set frequencies like my ICOM IC-V87.

As an example if you want to set Channel 3, than follow the steps as given below.

1: Press โ€ช#โ€ŽVโ€ฌ/M Key (second row last button) to toggle between Frequency & Channel mode, Select channel mode
    3: Type 4 6 2 6 1 2 – This will automatically pick up 462.612 5
    4: Press Function Key (orange button on top right corner)
    5: Press * Key (channel number will start blinking, type 003 or use arrow keys to select Channel 3)
    6: Press Function Key (orange button on top right corner) to Save Frequency on channel number 3
    7: By Default all channels are stored with ‘L’ low power

This way you can set all 22 channels

To change channel power to High or Low

1: Press #V/M Key (second row last button) to toggle between Frequency & Channel mode, Select channel mode
    2: Press Function Key (orange button on top right corner)
    3: Press #V/M Key (second row last button) will select high or low depending what was the current power for the particular channel
    4: Power setting for channel will saved in step 3, to change power setting for channel repeat step 1&2

January 3, 2016 at 5:07 pm #34582

Many Thanks for all information. Got the Motorola today and the frequencies are installed already. Looking forward to the next ride.

January 10, 2016 at 6:49 am #34655

Got the walkie-talkie last week too. ๐Ÿ˜€

Just a quick feedback to thank you all for the great information. It makes it much easier to get the right devices.

I got the Motorola GP338+ from the shop at Dragon Mart (BAI-05). Price was 250 EAD with all frequencies installed.
    The guy is obviously used to see DO members. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also got the pole and flag the same day. Shop EBE-06 for 10 AED. There are suction cups available in the opposite shop for 15 AED.

Now ready to join the next newcomers trip. Looking forward to it. :drive:

January 16, 2016 at 12:25 pm #34705
    quote Akawel:

I also got the pole and flag the same day. Shop EBE-06 for 10 AED. There are suction cups available in the opposite shop for 15 AED.

Thanks for the share. Will run back to Dragon Mart to get the above. :thanks:

January 26, 2016 at 6:54 am #34795

I went to Sheng Da in DM yesterday to buy the Motorola GP338 Plus Radio. The one they are selling is clearly a fake. I have used Motorola walkies in the past and one could tell the difference just by holding one in his hands. This one’s cheap lightweight plastic, no sticker on the battery, the battery charger says “BATTRY CHARGER”. Also, the buttons are placed different from what they are on genuine radio on the Website. Irony is that we can’t buy the radios from genuine Motorola resellers since these are certified radios and one would need a TRA license to buy one.

Those who has bought the same model from this shop, please suggest how its holding up so far. And does your radio’s battery also misses the stickers and charger says BATTRY CHARGER?

Thanks

Johar

January 26, 2016 at 8:03 am #34796
    quote shaileshjohar:

I went to Sheng Da in DM yesterday to buy the Motorola GP338 Plus Radio. The one they are selling is clearly a fake. I have used Motorola walkies in the past and one could tell the difference just by holding one in his hands. This one’s cheap lightweight plastic, no sticker on the battery, the battery charger says “BATTRY CHARGER”. Also, the buttons are placed different from what they are on genuine radio on the Website. Irony is that we can’t buy the radios from genuine Motorola resellers since these are certified radios and one would need a TRA license to buy one.

Those who has bought the same model from this shop, please suggest how its holding up so far. And does your radio’s battery also misses the stickers and charger says BATTRY CHARGER?

Thanks

Johar

Johar,

I bought the MT-777 model ( http://www.446shop.com/Product/Pro384.html ) from DM. I can’t say for sure if it is authetic or not but it seems as if it is. Is says made in Malaysia on the battery and it is pretty rugged. I have bounced it around quite a bit, dropped it in the sand and dirt many times and it still holds up. In fact I bought a second one as a spare because it has worked well for me. I am not sure about the GP338 but I can definitely recommend the MT-777.

January 26, 2016 at 8:21 am #34797

Seriously now… Dragon Mart? Genuine? Com’on… ๐Ÿ˜€

btw, I have Crony – this one is 100% authentic (honestly and proudly says “Made in China”) and is between 150-175 AED, depending on your negotiation skills ๐Ÿ˜‰ and it works 4th year so far…

January 26, 2016 at 9:34 am #34800
    quote JustDen:

Seriously now… Dragon Mart? Genuine? Com’on… ๐Ÿ˜€

btw, I have Crony – this one is 100% authentic (honestly and proudly says “Made in China”) and is between 150-175 AED, depending on your negotiation skills ๐Ÿ˜‰ and it works 4th year so far…

Hahaha… That’s what pissed me off. Why not proudly say Made in China and let the customer buy with confidence. :D.

Anyone got a Radio imported from Chine/US? Baofeng looks impressive.

Anonymous
    January 26, 2016 at 12:54 pm #34803

Hello,

I have my ‘Motorola’ also from DM. Model says: GP-338PLUS but surprisingly it looks exactly like Matt’s MT-777 model. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜€
    Unit is made in Malaysia, BATTRY Charger is coming from China (?) or probably assembled just behind the shop in DM. 8-}

As such the Walkie Talkie completely differs from the original GP-338PLUS – but as long as it works I am not complaining, whatever the name is. And it works flawless since almost a year now…

January 27, 2016 at 4:27 pm #34818

Hi Johar

The DM Motorola GP338 is definitely a fake. Thanks for clarifying to everybody. :thanks:
    A quick search on the net shows you can hardly find a genuine version for less than 200USD anywhere.

Now for 250 AED it seems to work fine so far. Let’s see in couple of years how it survives our DO drives ๐Ÿ˜€

February 16, 2016 at 3:01 pm #35032

Additional feedback on the Chinese “made in Malaysia” Motorola, especially regarding the after sales…. ๐Ÿ˜•

During last DO drive I noticed that the quality of the speaker was getting poor. I firstly thought it was linked to the distance with our marshal during the drive. But, back home I made few checks and there was definitely a problem.

It is not that you could not hear anything, but the sound was not the quality I expected.

I went back to Dragon Mart tonight, wondering how they would consider it. The shop changed it to a new one without a question. ๐Ÿ˜€

Good to see they treat DO members well ๐Ÿ™‚

May 1, 2016 at 11:07 am #35761

I purchased a Motorola MT-777 from Dragon Mart.
    Can someone please help me with setting the sending and receiving frequencies.
    There are always 6 numbers: xxx.xxx
    Is the Sending frequency always the same as the receiving frequency?
    Thank you in advance for the help

May 1, 2016 at 11:14 am #35762

Hi Desiree,

Welcome to DO. You can find a great tutorial made by Sasha here:

http://www.dubaioffroadlive.local/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3190&p=40388&hilit=sash#p39851

The sending and receiving frequencies must be the same. Also, you need to change the setup to ensure you get 7 numbers: xxx.xxxx

The setup change is option number 20 in the menu….set it for 12.5 and this should get you the 7 numbers. Any questions just let me know.

Good luck and see you on the sand!

May 16, 2016 at 7:20 pm #35888

Hi DXBO. This is my first post and would like go on my first newbie trip. bumping on this thread to see if it’s still the same in Dragon Mart.
    Would like to where i can get a bang for the buck walkie talkie? Hopefully something ya’ll have tested and is working fine.
    Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.