Offroad Walkie Talkie FAQ

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author

And this is the name of the person and his shop number.

April 4, 2017 at 7:34 am #38627

@Eric FJ

Just for the sake of clarity, the so-called MT-777 is anything else but not a genuine Motorola. Apart from the price 😕 you can easily check it by the quality of the product, not to mention the mistakes in English in the user’s manual.

I think important to inform our DO members about what they buy when they go to this shop. Personally, I have bought two of them from that same place. One died after less than a year and was (kindly) exchanged by the shop. Unfortunately the second one just died a couple of weeks ago… but after the “warranty” time.

I am still using the one remaining but if that one also breaks down, I will definitely invest in a better product. 😀

It is a fact that some other DO members use the same model without any issues. Hope you will be luckier than me with the one you just got. 😉

April 4, 2017 at 9:06 am #38628

@Akawel

Yes I know that for that price it is not genuine model :ymdevil: but I think that it will be very difficult to find a original one. If you find a shop let me know. :-B

Till know no problem with one I have works perfect. The nice think about Mr. liu is that he is doing the programming in 5 minutes he knows the DO frequencies and the only thing I had to do was charge it. After that is was ready for use. :drive:

April 5, 2017 at 6:40 am #38632

Thanks Eric,
    Thanks Sami

Anonymous
    March 18, 2018 at 4:09 pm #41319

I use the Baofeng UV-5R – these are super easy to program with the open source CHIRP software and programming cable from Amazon or wherever.

I’ve also reprogrammed the squelch settings to make them more useable…

If anyone has a Baofeng and needs it programmed, let me know…

Anonymous
    March 21, 2018 at 9:55 am #41322

It might also be worth mentioning that the channels & frequencies that DO use are the same as the standard North American FRS (Family Radio Service) frequencies – an awful lot of radios should come pre-programmed with these.

For more information, see https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

April 14, 2018 at 4:43 am #41424

Hello DO team,

I am very new to this group as well as to off roading.
    I would like to join in the upcoming drives.

Please let me know if the frequencies provided in the beginning of the topic are still used.

I am planning to get the radio today from DragonMart..

Cheers !!!
    Joel Lawrence
    +971 56 862 0995

April 14, 2018 at 8:02 am #41425

Hello team ,

I bought a “Motoralla” radio from Mr. Liu@AED250 with 3 months warranty.

The radio comes with 14 channels preset; hence there was no necessity to program.

Thanks for the info .

Cheers !!!
    Joel Lawrence
    +971 56 862 0995

April 15, 2018 at 6:24 am #41428
    quote joelvetticat post_id=47057 time=1523681004 user_id=25769:

Please let me know if the frequencies provided in the beginning of the topic are still used.

Welcome to DO Joel.

Yes, the 14 frequencies listed in the first post are still used by DO.

Please make sure you browse the forums to get an understanding of the items required at different level. At ur level a compatible radio and a flag pole are a must!!

April 15, 2018 at 7:59 am #41429

Thanks Asim, I believe I have the minimum equipment as per the forums. I hope to join for next next trip.

Cheers!!!
    Joel Lawrence
    +971 56 862 0995

April 1, 2019 at 5:39 pm #42599

hello offroaders…i too purchased an walkie talkie in dragon mart last friday..its the Baofeng 2 way dual band radio where the frequency can be aligned with the other radio..its a digital input. I tried in the shop with a demo and it worked well.. It was said that a coverage of 15km shall be provided with this radio..truly i havent tested. i purchased this for 100 AED. the sales guy said its 150..then ended up paying 100. i purchased this from dragon mart, Fujjan Free space electronic trading, BA BAA 13.

June 23, 2019 at 2:21 am #42850

As a public service to other newbies, my “not pro” Motorola Talkabout radios with selectable channel only, worked with the group’s frequencies. Their range is “only” a few kms but it worked perfectly fine for me.

September 3, 2019 at 3:03 am #43095

Here is a link to an expanded manual for Baofeng UV-5R. Frequencies can be punched in on the go, or preprogrammed manually. There are a number of other neat functions explained in the manual and website. The radio is ~100AED in Amazon or Dragon Mart.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2/mt/pdf/UV-5R-Owners-Manual-2.pdf

October 10, 2019 at 5:52 am #43202
    quote Dubasel post_id=48856 time=1561256490 user_id=25963:

As a public service to other newbies, my “not pro” Motorola Talkabout radios with selectable channel only, worked with the group’s frequencies. Their range is “only” a few kms but it worked perfectly fine for me.

I have a Motorola Talkabout unit (MG160A) as well. The standard frequencies on it match those posted above. However it does not have function to use Privacy codes. So wanted to check whether or not the group uses privacy codes in addition to the frequencies. If not than I am good to go otherwise will need to procure a better unit.

October 10, 2019 at 6:34 am #43203
    quote sehgala post_id=49359 time=1570686760 user_id=24360:

quote Dubasel post_id=48856 time=1561256490 user_id=25963:

I have a Motorola Talkabout unit (MG160A) as well. The standard frequencies on it match those posted above. However it does not have function to use Privacy codes. So wanted to check whether or not the group uses privacy codes in addition to the frequencies. If not than I am good to go otherwise will need to procure a better unit.

If the unit matches the frequencies of the group, then you’re good to go.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.