Oman Calling – 4/2013 – October 16-18, 2013 – Wahiba Sands

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Oman Calling – 4/2013 – October 16-18, 2013 – Wahiba Sands

I am sure you all are looking forward to have some fun during the forthcoming Eid holidays. Here is one option if you intend to spend the holidays with some adventure.

The trip proposal is as under:

Destination: Wahiba Sands – Desert Crossing

Area intended to be covered: about 180 kms thru the North-South corridor of the Wahiba Sands also called Ramalat Al Sharqiyah.

Level of Difficulty: Intermediate – Advanced. NOT ADVISABLE FOR Fewbies and Newbies

Agenda:

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 :

0700 hrs: Departure from Dubai,

1430 hrs: Arrive at Bidiyah town, in the Sharqiyah region of Oman,

1530 hrs: Deflate and enter the sand, Finally, set up camp by 1730 hrs and settle down.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 :

0900 hrs : Wind up the camp and continue with the desert crossing.

1300 hrs: Lunch break

1400 hrs: continue with the desert crossing via the Sand Mountain.

1500 hrs: set up camp at the base of the tall dunes, not far away from the Arabian sea.

Friday, October 18, 2013:

0900 Hrs: Wind up the Camp and enter the tall dunes and crescents and drive towards Juweirah on the coast of Arabian sea.

1230: Air-up and proceed towards Dubai via Al Ashkharah. In case, you still have some appetite left for adventure, Wadi bani Khalid would be a good detour.

FAMILIES ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO JOIN THE FUN

SO jot down your name, phone numbers, car make and model, if you are game for the FUN :drive:

September 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm #27244

This definitely cannot be missed!!!
    The Wahiba Sands or Ramlat al-Wahiba, also called Sharqiya Sands,is a region of desert in Oman. The region is named for the Wahiba tribe that inhabits this area. The area is defined by a boundary of 180 kilometers north to south and 80 kilometers east to west, giving a total desert area of 14,500 square kilometers approx.

This is a part of the Empty Quarter or Rub Al Khali and these are essentially Liwa type Dunes but spread over a much larger area and the best part for me is when one descends over these large dunes directly on to the Indian ocean!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMCnFtmkZQ

This is an expedition type drive and requires proper preparation mechanically, logistically, psychologically and physically.

The drive is long and requires at least 3 days holidays which are not easy to come by, so let us all take full advantage of these long E’id Holidays!!!

The distance from Dubai to Bidiyah, passing through Hatta-Sohar-Al Koudh and then taking the Muscat Expressway to Bidbid on to Bidiya, is 585kms. and requires 6-6.5 hours of driving approx.

https://maps.google.ae/maps?safe=off&ie=UTF-8&gl=ae&daddr=Bidiyah,+Oman&saddr=Dubai&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=KUXG2WpJQ18-MWJRKYRQbua9%3BKVkCbnqTc5A-MSd38IttKsDs&ei=JKkwUuXFGsPJ4ATjzICYCA&ved=0CCsQ-A8wAA

We will need sometime at the border for the Visa too, as there would be the usual holiday rush normally witnessed during long holidays.
    Those coming in from Dubai will meet at the Oman’s Visa hall at Hatta crossing at 0900Hrs. on 16th of October 2013.

We will proceed in a convoy from there.

September 12, 2013 at 5:50 pm #27266

3) Razik Rizwan – Toyota Fortuner V6, 2011

A quest to experience the best, in company with the best…look forward :yesss:

What an idea, Sir ji :thanks:

September 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm #27270

Hi Team, This sounds like an excellent :drive: opportunity and I have registered for this trip even though as yet the new wheels are not on the sand or even the tarmac for that matter, however I expect them to be and if forsooth they are not I shall duly de register in time. Further to this should the limited number of willing participants be in the balance because of my registration then please expunge it. :thanks:

September 19, 2013 at 5:20 am #27324

This is an expedition type drive essentially for the advanced drivers and we do not get many oppurtunities to go on a 3 day drive besides the registrations too will close soon as we already have 3 confirmations from Oman & 3 from UAE.
    So please hurry up & make up your minds…offroaders?

September 19, 2013 at 5:59 am #27325

Would very much like to join you guys but as you know I will be travelling.

Will patiently wait for the next long outing………….

September 19, 2013 at 7:09 am #27326

Gonna miss this 🙁

Will be out of UAE from 10th October to 18th…

Look forward for the next :thanks:

September 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm #27384
    quote Ahmad Pervez:

This is an expedition type drive essentially for the advanced drivers and we do not get many oppurtunities to go on a 3 day drive besides the registrations too will close soon as we already have 3 confirmations from Oman & 3 from UAE.

Waited too long for this :drive: n will not miss it for anything.
    :thanks: Ajay Bhai n Ahmad Bhai.

September 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm #27386
    quote anilberry:

quote Ahmad Pervez:

Waited too long for this :drive: n will not miss it for anything.
    :thanks: Ajay Bhai n Ahmad Bhai.

Yes…this drive has been pending for a very long time…It will be good to drive with you Anil Bhai after a longish time!!!
    🙂

September 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm #27411

I really wanna do this…Can I say (Mostly) tentatively in…

Asharaf K
    055 929 0 989
    Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 4.0 Ltr.

September 29, 2013 at 5:17 am #27419

Happy to join with the whole family !

September 29, 2013 at 4:43 pm #27435

Hi, I would like to join too.

Zaheer
    Nissan Patrol

September 30, 2013 at 11:06 am #27440
    quote zeddy:

Hi, I would like to join too.

Zaheer
    Nissan Patrol

Zaheer please click on Register in the first post of this topic.

September 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm #27442

Ahmed bhai ! would like to join for the drive :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

September 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm #27443
    quote abdullah:

Ahmed bhai ! would like to join for the drive :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

Welcome Brother!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.