Oman Calling – 4/2013 – October 16-18, 2013 – Wahiba Sands

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

zeddy wrote:Hi, I would like to join too.

Zaheer
    Nissan Patrol

Zaheer please click on Register in the first post of this topic.” Adventure is the pursuit of life.”

Ahmad Pervez
    050 6534953

Thank you, Ahmad Bhai. I have registered my name.

Regards,
    Zaheer

October 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm #27484

The Line up for this drive is looking really interesting now…

1. Ajay Sikri
    2. Ahmad Pervez
    3. Razik
    4. Brian Walker
    5. Anil Berry
    6. Hendrik
    7. Ashraf
    8. Abdullah Zehri
    9. Zaheer Marakkar
    10. Gopa Kumar
    11. Ganesh Murthy
    12. Arun D’Souza

Ajay Bhai please add the names of other participants who would be joining us from Dubai/ Oman.

October 3, 2013 at 6:49 pm #27486

Happy to see all the old faces together…. 🙂 🙂 🙂

October 4, 2013 at 6:05 am #27487
    quote Desert King:

You can say that again… 🙂
    1. Ajay Sikri
    2. Ahmad Pervez
    3. Razik
    4. Brian Walker
    5. Anil Berry
    6. Hendrik
    7. Ashraf
    8. Abdullah Zehri
    9. Zaheer Marakkar
    10. Gopa Kumar
    11. Ganesh Murthy
    12. Arun D’Souza
    13. Thanseer

October 4, 2013 at 5:56 pm #27493
    quote Ahmad Pervez:

quote Desert King:

You can say that again… 🙂
    1. Ajay Sikri
    2. Ahmad Pervez
    3. Razik
    4. Brian Walker
    5. Anil Berry
    6. Hendrik
    7. Ashraf
    8. Abdullah Zehri
    9. Zaheer Marakkar
    10. Gopa Kumar
    11. Ganesh Murthy
    12. Arun D’Souza
    13. Thanseer

Looks like going to be terrible fun and party in wahiba…. :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

October 4, 2013 at 6:10 pm #27495
    quote Desert King:

Yes, Indeed :yesss:

Too bad, we can’t make it. Now we’ll miss this even more 🙁

October 5, 2013 at 10:29 am #27501

Really happy to see the Old Names in the Convoy…Great… Would be more than happy to catch up soon with you Tiger, Dhadha and Thanseer…

I might have my final confirmation by Monday…

Some personal commitments in my convoy..and apparently I am the only Marshal out there..without a sweep….
    Anyway fingers crossed..and waiting…

October 6, 2013 at 4:50 am #27514

Hi DO”s just to confirm that we shall be present on this :drive: , wheels are now ready for action 😀

October 6, 2013 at 5:10 am #27516
    quote brianj:

Hi DO”s just to confirm that we shall be present on this :drive: , wheels are now ready for action 😀

That’s good news Brian :yesss:
    Catch up with you soon!

October 6, 2013 at 7:53 am #27523

Look forward to that 🙂

quote razik:

quote brianj:

That’s good news Brian :yesss:
    Catch up with you soon!

October 7, 2013 at 5:40 am #27529

Prepping my car with awning and hopefully RTT – Am leaving however the 16th only from Khor Fakkan as I take the whole family diving, must meet up with you all somewhere in Oman – probably Biddiyah ? Hope to be out this weekend but currently struggling with viral infection & fever.
    Looking forward to the trip !

October 7, 2013 at 6:23 am #27531
    quote Hendrik:

Prepping my car with awning and hopefully RTT – Am leaving however the 16th only from Khor Fakkan as I take the whole family diving, must meet up with you all somewhere in Oman – probably Biddiyah ? Hope to be out this weekend but currently struggling with viral infection & fever.

Get well soon. You will have lot of action starting this weekend..

October 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm #27540

Hey Hendrik, get well soon mate, leave the bug behind and grab a couple of lungs ful of fresh desert air 😀

quote Hendrik:

October 8, 2013 at 12:10 pm #27559

Hi

Now that an exciting line-up of participants has been drawn up, it’s time to start the preparations. Here are my thoughts of some of the important issues:

Oman Visa: please make sure that you are eligible for a visa-on-arrival, especially from the point of view of the remaining validity of your passport and the current UAE residence visa. In case of any doubt, make an enquiry at the Omani Embassy/consulate near you. An ideal thing would be to pay them a visit and procure a visa beforehand. They give visa on the same day. This takes away the uncertainty and discretion of the border staff.;

Reporting time and place: Pervez bhai will separately indicate a reporting time for the participants to regroup at the Omani border post at Hatta border after procuring and getting the Omani visa stamped. Do keep at least one hour for visa formalities at Hatta Border. This is required even if you have procured an advance visa. ;

– Drive to the desert entry point at Bidiyah is about 570 kms from Dubai via Hatta border, Sohar, Muscat and Ibra. I and other participants from Oman will join you at a suitable meeting point in Muscat and we shall drive together to Bidiyah town ;

Camping gear: Though the traces of summer still continue, the temperature at desert is usually lower than what we all consider “pleasant” and the night temperatures typically witness a dramatic drop. My past experience in Wahibas suggest that we can expect heavy dew on the first night of camping. Therefore, you need to come prepared with appropriate camping gear, clothing, bedding and yes, do not forget the firewood.

– Return drive to Dubai from the Southern spot of the Wahiba sands will be about 800km. In case, you don’t want to drive that long in one stretch, especially after 2 days out in the sand, you may plan to camp at Al Ashqarah or at Wadi Bani Khalid and return back to Dubai on Saturday. If you choose to do so, I will be happy to suggest the suitable spots for you during our return journey;

Logistics: Each participant needs to carry the regular offroad recovery kit. Please do not depend on the tow-rope of the other guy ;), he may be carrying a cheapu AED 25 worth of a rope which cannot even hold a bufflow :)) . You will also require extra fuel and enough eatables and drinks for the period of the trip. It is not uncommon to find the Gas stations in the interior regions of Oman shut/dry during long stretch of public holidays. You therefore need to carry:

o Enough food and drinks from the time you enter Oman on Wednesday to the afternoon of Friday. The street markets, especially in the interior regions are totally shut during Eid holidays. please do not carry any shopping list on your way to Muscat and Bidiyah;
    o Fuel for 250 km offroad and 100 kms of on-road journey after we fill up our tanks at Bidiyah and enter the desert;
    o Enough water for you to survive the long trip. A rule of thumb is a minimum of 6 litres of water per person per day for long expeditions. Please remember that Water saves lives and lack of it leads to death. Therefore, carrying water and energy (rehydration) drinks more than the minimum suggested is obviously beneficial.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. In any case, we will have more details of the trip as we inch forward to the D Day.

while we know the participants who have signed, it will be a good idea to list down the expected number of people in each car.

The count-down has begun. I am counting days to :drive: . Are you ??

October 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm #27562

Here goes…

1. Ajay Sikri
    2. Ahmad Pervez + Lubna + Rifaat
    3. Razik
    4. Brian Walker
    5. Anil Berry
    6. Hendrik
    7. Ashraf
    8. Abdullah Zehri
    9. Zaheer Marakkar
    10. Gopa Kumar
    11. Ganesh Murthy
    12. Arun D’Souza
    13. Thanseer

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.