Oman Calling – 4/2013 – October 16-18, 2013 – Wahiba Sands

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Hi AJ and Ahmad, with Eid being announced as MOnday to Wednesday does this change anything?
    :thanks:

October 9, 2013 at 5:46 am #27568
    quote brianj:

Hi AJ and Ahmad, with Eid being announced as MOnday to Wednesday does this change anything?

Brian, correct me if I am wrong, Eid is not on Monday but will be on Tuesday but the holidays start on Monday. In any case, this programme was chalked out expecting the Eid to be on Tuesday, so that the members observing Eid get to celebrate Eid with their family and leave the next day for this expedition. Hence, no change due to the Eid being on Tuesday. However, if you want to make good use of your holidays on the 14th and 15th, you can plan to come early and pass by Jabel Shams / Jebel Akhdar and Muscat or even the Turtle beach. during this time, you can enjoy camping, trekking and diving and then join the group at Bidiyah on the 16th afternoon. if interested, indicate your preferences and I can offer some suggestions.

quote Ahmad Pervez:

Here goes…

1. Ajay Sikri + Amitabh Joshi
    2. Ahmad Pervez + Lubna + Rifaat
    3. Razik
    4. Brian Walker
    5. Anil Berry
    6. Hendrik
    7. Ashraf
    8. Abdullah Zehri
    9. Zaheer Marakkar
    10. Gopa Kumar
    11. Ganesh Murthy
    12. Arun D’Souza
    13. Thanseer

October 9, 2013 at 11:42 am #27572

Good afternoon DO’s

Nice to see the line for Oman 4th Expedition.

All the best and enjoy the drive.

EID MUBARAK in advance to everybody…

Shabeer

October 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm #27573
    quote AJS:

quote brianj:

Brian, correct me if I am wrong, Eid is not on Monday but will be on Tuesday but the holidays start on Monday. In any case, this programme was chalked out expecting the Eid to be on Tuesday, so that the members observing Eid get to celebrate Eid with their family and leave the next day for this expedition. Hence, no change due to the Eid being on Tuesday. However, if you want to make good use of your holidays on the 14th and 15th, you can plan to come early and pass by Jabel Shams / Jebel Akhdar and Muscat or even the Turtle beach. during this time, you can enjoy camping, trekking and diving and then join the group at Bidiyah on the 16th afternoon. if interested, indicate your preferences and I can offer some suggestions.

quote Ahmad Pervez:

Here goes…

1. Ajay Sikri + Amitabh Joshi
    2. Ahmad Pervez + Lubna + Rifaat
    3. Razik
    4. Brian Walker & Nikki Walker
    5. Anil Berry
    6. Hendrik
    7. Ashraf
    8. Abdullah Zehri
    9. Zaheer Marakkar
    10. Gopa Kumar
    11. Ganesh Murthy
    12. Arun D’Souza
    13. Thanseer

Hi AJS,

Thanks for the reply, great idea to explore before and you have stirred some desire by that suggestion, saw Ahmad this afternoon and we chatted through some logistical stuff.

We, Nikki & I, have put our thinking caps on and we may well take you up on your kind offer of further info over the weekend. I’ll keep you up to speed with our transit plans, be good to avoid the Wednesday queue!!

Wow exciting stuff, what a line-up 😀
    :thanks:

October 9, 2013 at 6:16 pm #27574
    quote shabeer saidu mohammed:

Good afternoon DO’s

Shabeer

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :thanks:

October 10, 2013 at 4:16 am #27577
    quote shabeer saidu mohammed:

Good afternoon DO’s
    Shabeer

Thanks Shabeer,
    E’id Mubarak to you, too.

October 13, 2013 at 11:32 am #27626

This line-up looks great and even more happy to see some familiar names in the convoy list 🙂 . Unfortunately, I will miss my Oman hat-trick this year:( .

But rest assured, with the founder and co-founder leading this drive, it will be epic. :ymcowboy:

I will miss the mint mixture Ajay Saab after a hard day’s drive in the sun. :ymsigh:

Have a great trip guys and be safe.

Regards

Sajid

October 13, 2013 at 11:44 am #27627
    quote Saj:

I will miss the mint mixture Ajay Saab after a hard day’s drive in the sun. :ymsigh:

Regards

Sajid

no issues Sajid. there’s always a next time. the season has just started 😉

October 13, 2013 at 11:45 am #27628
    quote Saj:

Regards

Sajid

no issues Sajid. there’s always a next time. the season has just started 😉

October 15, 2013 at 2:20 pm #27647

Hi ..
    Eid Mubaraq to all dear DO folks..
    I have to opt out from this wonderfull drive..that I have been long waited for..some other commitments as I mentioned in my erstwhile post on this drive…
    You all have a great time and safe drive…
    See you all soon Insha Allah for the next drive…

October 19, 2013 at 5:36 pm #27676

thanks to some last minute dropouts due family commitments and passport issues, we were six cars on the crossing. the trip started well on the high dunes near Bidiyah. we were soon caught into a sand storm which continued for over 2 hours or so, leaving a very pleasant camping environment behind.

Next one and a half days were all devoted to the dunes.The harsh day temperature had a toll on the consistency of sand and driving was challenging at times resulting in stucks and refusals in quick succession. Nothing unusual – that’s what the Wahibas is known for and offers during this time of the year.

The winches had a field day. However, hats off to all participants and families as no one thought of turning back. Ultimately, all the “Toughs Got Going Even as the Going Got Tougher and Tougher” and all went to complete the expedition though we took couple of hours more than originally planned. I am sure you all have returned back with a higher level of offroad confidence in you.

The icing on the cake was the cool dip in the Arabian sea and a warm lunch, courtesy the Hendrik family under the cool shade of the LR Defender.

I trust all got back home without any incident. Thanks to all participants who joined. Special thanks to the winchmen – Hendrik, Kumar and Brian for keeping the whole convoy afloat. a special mention is required for Thanseer for scouting for an easy line thru the dunes.

Look forward to have you back in Oman soon.

October 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm #27708

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151918307192356&type=1

Please click the link above for the pictures…

Cheers

October 23, 2013 at 7:17 am #27710

Dada…

Nice pictures… speaks out the entire trip..

Shabeer.

October 29, 2013 at 9:46 am #27763

Guys,

Can we have feedback or atleast brief trip report from all the participants of this drive for further planning next drive..

October 29, 2013 at 10:05 am #27764
    quote khshareef:

Guys,

Can we have feedback or at least brief trip report from all the participants of this drive for further planning next drive..

HI Humayun I’m in the process of writing a full trip report, however as you know from previous drive reports I’ve contributed, I like to make certain I capture the flavour and essence of such trips …watch this space 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.