Overnight Camping Trip to Liwa on Friday 14th March 2014.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    quote traitio:

quote khshareef:

quote traitio:

Inspired by the upcoming Liwa trip I finally changed my tires to new ones with much less aggressive tread pattern. (as Ahmad and Duncan has been advising all along).

When I asked the tyre sales guy whether the new ones a good for sand and dunes he said that “with these your Jeep will climb the dune like a camel” ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Let’s see on Friday how it goes. The differentiator may still be between the wheel and seat. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜•

Tommi

Which tyres are those…Are they Michelin or Sumitomo Shaheen…

The new ones are Kumho Road Venture SAT. It’s an All Terrain tyre, but the treat pattern is quite mild. Looks almost like a standard road tire. It’s a very similar pattern as in Yokohama Geolandar ATS.

Kumho are good tires….Now I can imagine you flying on the dunes….good luck…

March 11, 2014 at 5:21 pm #29368
    quote traitio:

The differentiator may still be between the wheel and seat. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜• Tommi

The differentiator is always between the steering wheel and the seat but a better prepared and reliable vehicle means that the differentiator is less stressed or hassled and hence able to perform at an optimum level.
    The tread pattern on the Kumho is definitely less aggressive than that on your old tyres, so they should perform better on soft sand.

March 11, 2014 at 5:51 pm #29371
    quote traitio:

Inspired by the upcoming Liwa trip I finally changed my tires to new ones with much less aggressive tread pattern. (as Ahmad and Duncan has been advising all along).

When I asked the tyre sales guy whether the new ones a good for sand and dunes he said that “with these your Jeep will climb the dune like a camel” ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Let’s see on Friday how it goes. The differentiator may still be between the wheel and seat. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜•

Tommi

Hi Tommi,

Looking at getting some new tyres for my jeep as well. Where did you get them from? What size tyres did you get as well?

David

March 12, 2014 at 6:07 am #29376
    quote David Jarvis:

Looking at getting some new tyres for my jeep as well. Where did you get them from? What size tyres did you get as well?

David

Hi David,

I got these from a shop called “Formula Tyres”. They have a shop in Sharjah and in Dubai in Al Quoz. I can send you the coordinates of the Al Quoz shop if you want? In addition to these Kumhos, they also have e.g Cooper Discoverer AT3’s and Yokohama Geolandar ATS’s.

I swapped my stock JK wheels to 17″ alloys and got 285/70R17 tires on them. That’s a 33″ tire that will rub on stock JK. I did not want to lift my Jeep so I installed flat fenders to make room for front tires. (and with those fenders flares the stock JK front bumper looks incredibly stupid, so i changed that also). So the whole exercise wasn’t cheap, but after driving the stock JK for over one year now I knew this is what i wanted. The general wisdom is to keep driving for a while before spending money on upgrades. You learn better and get to know whether this is your thing.

Tommi

March 12, 2014 at 6:24 am #29377
    quote traitio:

quote David Jarvis:

David

Hi David,

I got these from a shop called “Formula Tyres”. They have a shop in Sharjah and in Dubai in Al Quoz. I can send you the coordinates of the Al Quoz shop if you want? In addition to these Kumhos, they also have e.g Cooper Discoverer AT3’s and Yokohama Geolandar ATS’s.

I swapped my stock JK wheels to 17″ alloys and got 285/70R17 tires on them. That’s a 33″ tire that will rub on stock JK. I did not want to lift my Jeep so I installed flat fenders to make room for front tires. (and with those fenders flares the stock JK front bumper looks incredibly stupid, so i changed that also). So the whole exercise wasn’t cheap, but after driving the stock JK for over one year now I knew this is what i wanted. The general wisdom is to keep driving for a while before spending money on upgrades. You learn better and get to know whether this is your thing.

Tommi

Thanks Tommi,

Yeah I have driven past Formula Tyres a couple of times.

My thoughts were as you said really is drive the car as it is between now and the start of next winter and then maybe do a few upgrades then. The tyres are just stock 16″ at the moment and see to do the job on sand reasonably well at the current level.

March 13, 2014 at 8:37 am #29395

so 12 cars for tomorrow at the moment. Lets see how many we get registering today.

Just need to get some fire wood and then I’m all sorted.

March 13, 2014 at 10:57 am #29399

Hey Ahmed,

I am the happy owner of my “Precious” aka Xterra with a Top floor Tent. Is this going to be hard for my Precious to drive across the Liwa dunes? My level is intermediate but I get a bit anxious about my babe coz it’s brand new!

Also I am coming from AD, and I don’t hold a walkie talkie. IS there a place and a time where shall I meet with you guys to then follow you as a convoy? I have GPS therefore coordinates will be fine.

Cheers

March 13, 2014 at 11:43 am #29401

Hi laura,
    Nissan Xterra would be just fine in Liwa. you can meet us at Mafraq ADNOC at 09:30Hrs. tomorrow morning. ADNOC Mafraq is on the Silla Road very close and just before the Mafraq Hotel/ Mafraq Hospital.
    The co-ordinates for ADNOC are as follows
    N 24ยฐ21’19.59″ E 54ยฐ38’41.05″
    Give me a call on 050 6534953 if you still need directions.

March 13, 2014 at 12:45 pm #29402

Don’t you think the weather would be a problem? As it is now and as they forecast rain for tomorrow and Saturday?

As I can join with 2 small kids I am a bit worried ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks

March 16, 2014 at 7:40 am #29419

The Liwa offroad adventurers are back after a nice adventurous 2 day drive…
    Guess what?
    We were camping in moonlight while everybody else was braving thunderstorm and hail!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

March 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm #29428

It was great to meet you guys during the weekend camping expedition! Greatly appreciate the help and support from everyone during the “tricky” situations I managed to get myself into.

March 18, 2014 at 8:33 am #29468

it was a nice trip and it was awesome having fun with you guys.

waiting for the thriller ones!

March 22, 2014 at 8:46 pm #29500

Great going Ahmed bhai, you are the man, I still remember the 2011 3 days LIWA trip with 5 cars. Unfortunately I could never get a chance to drive my self in LIWA : which is one of the biggest regret I still have. As they say in Urdu “kunwain keh pass reh ker bhi, main payasa hi reha”

But now I am enjoying snow safaris ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope to see and join you in couple of years

Please keep the LIWA trips ON until I return, Actually its not the LIWA it your company and your encouragement that matters ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.