Postponed – The LIWA Lollipop 2000 – 3rd and 4th April 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

In anticipation of Dubai Offroaders hitting the 2000 member mark :yesss: , we are organizing a treat for you with a drive to the mother of all deserts i.e. Liwa ๐Ÿ˜€ .

The region is almost empty of human beings due to the extreme heat, scarce rain, vegetation and water. Hence, in Arabic it is called ‘Ar Rub al Khali’ which means the Empty Quarter. Moreover, its natural features of high sand dunes make it difficult for human life to survive and move around.

The Rub’ al Khali (Arabic: ุงู„ุฑุจุน ุงู„ุฎุงู„ูŠโ€Ž) or Empty Quarter is the largest sand desert in the world in terms of volume of sand.
    The villages of Liwa Oasis are the southernmost settlements of Abu Dhabi and of the United Arab Emirates. The southern border of Abu Dhabi with Saudi Arabia, which runs at a distance between 16 and 35 km to the Oasis, is a straight line in the Rub al Khali desert, which is largely uninhabited.

We encourage you to join us with your family and friends as we will do a nice and relaxing drive followed by a bonfire and bbq. We will set-up camp under the desert stars far away from civilization and admire the emptiness that surrounds us.

However, we will make things interesting for our Inter and Advance members by splitting the convoy midway so that they have their share of fun as well.

Day and date : Friday, the 3rd of April 2015 to Saturday, the 4th of April 2015.
    Drive Type : Open to all members, Families are specially encouraged to join as it will be a nice picturesque drive and overnight camping adventure.
    Meeting Point : Emarat Jebel Ali on Dubai Abu Dhabi Highway. For Alain and Abu Dhabi members, Mafraq Adnoc.
    Meeting Time : 07:45 am for Dubai, Sharjah and Northern Emirates members. For Alain and Abu Dhabi members at 08:45 am
    Drive Start: 08.00 am
    Drive Terrain: Beautiful Picturesque Terrain of Rub Al Khali.

PLEASE SWITCH ON YOUR RADIO AND TUNE IN TO CHANNEL 4 (462 637.5) AS SOON AS YOU REACH THE MEETING POINT.

Duration: We will have a tarmac drive of approx. 150kms. that will take us from the meeting point to the desert entrance point, which is a fuel station, We will fill fuel here and start a day long desert drive, until just before sunset which will bring us to our camping spot in the Dunes. We will camp here, have a BBQ & make merry till late. The camp will be wrapped up for a 9.00am departure in the morning for a nearby fuel station to fill up on fuel and any necessary provisions and then back to the sands for another long drive in the sands, we will inflate the tyres, upon completion of the desert section,and head back home to arrive in Dubai / Sharjah by late evening on Saturday the 4th of April 2015.

Checklist:-
    a) Ensure your 4 x 4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    b) Compatible Radio.
    c) Carry all necessary offroad gear, in good condition.
    d) Carry enough Food/ water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

Please read the following and register for the drive:-
    Equipments that one needs to carry for offroading
    Rules Of The Trip
    Dubai Offroaders – Disclaimer

This is a family Outing & all Dubai Offroaders members are welcome to Join.
    Please register your intent to participate in the drive here.
    Please make sure that your vehicle is fully prepared for an expedition type drive with complete recovery kit etc. and that it is fully serviceable with recovery points front & aft.
    We will be camping overnight in the desert & while the day will be hot & sunny, the night temperature is expected to be chilly, so please be prepared with complete camping & warm gear as well as sufficient food & drinks for the full day’s drive as we WILL NOT encounter any place to replenish supplies on the way, once we enter the desert.
    The total off Road drive section on the two day drive is expected to be about 120kms.+ but we will be able to access provisions & Petrol on the morning of the 2nd day prior to the beginning of the Drive.
    You may also carry BBQ Equipment & food if you want to cook the food at the evening camp.
    Please carry at least 2 bundles of wood per Car for the Overnight Camp bonfire.
    This will be an excellent opportunity for photography enthusiasts to take some unbelievably beautiful natural sandscapes…so keep your cameras ready…too!!!!

Humayun Shareef
    Mb: 055 536 8747
    056 686 2453

March 22, 2015 at 9:40 am #32414

I am in with my Family + 2 :ymhug:

Thank you Humayun for the great initiative

March 22, 2015 at 9:42 am #32415

I am in too!!!
    Thanks Humayoon!!!

March 22, 2015 at 9:49 am #32417

Definitely in for this…. Will try to convince family to come with me

March 22, 2015 at 10:02 am #32418
    quote Iwamas:

Definitely in for this…. Will try to convince family to come with me

Same here.. Will try to convince family to join but regardless of them joining or not, me and my brother are in!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks Humayun for organisng the trip as well as accepting Newbies on this trip!! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 22, 2015 at 10:03 am #32419

I can not miss such drive…of course I’m in..

March 22, 2015 at 10:11 am #32420

If family doesn’t join… Anas you can join me if you want

March 22, 2015 at 10:15 am #32421

Been waiting for this for sometime now ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ :drive: ๐Ÿ˜ก

March 22, 2015 at 10:49 am #32422

Me and my daughter, she is 17…..

I have pick up truck so I can carry some people’s stuff

March 22, 2015 at 10:55 am #32423
    quote Melvin Rios:

Wow, 3 Raptors already in the lineup :-w :-w :-w

Cheers Melvin, for the offer :yesss:

March 22, 2015 at 11:03 am #32424

Can someone pls kill me … I’m gonna really miss it as I’m traveling on 30th night .. I’ might not be physically there but my mind will be with u guys ….. Again ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™

March 22, 2015 at 11:36 am #32425
    quote Avinash Sudheer:

Can someone pls kill me … I’m gonna really miss it as I’m traveling on 30th night .. I’ might not be physically there but my mind will be with u guys ….. Again ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™

We want you alive Avinash ๐Ÿ˜‰

Don’t worry, you’ll see a lot of wonderful and exceptional drives in the coming weeks… :yesss:

Bon voyage and see you soon

March 22, 2015 at 11:39 am #32426
    quote Melvin Rios:

Thanks for the offer; definitely the offer would be very useful, since we need lot of wood for the bonfire…

Insha Allah, we should cross 2000th by the time, we are all ready for the drive. :drive:

March 22, 2015 at 1:03 pm #32431

=p~ =p~ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ (-| I have never driven in Liwa before, can I also join (-| ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ =p~ =p~ Need to send my car for service between this and next Friday :yesss: . Is it recommended to equip with Jerrycans or a Full tank Fuel (60Lts I believe) will be sufficient since we can fill just before entering desert.

Can I join intermediate/advance convoy with stock suspension or a lift is must for advance drive in Liwa? :-w :-w

Last but not the least Marshal Humayun :thanks: a lot for posting this wonderful :drive: :drive: :drive:

March 22, 2015 at 1:47 pm #32438
    quote Vijay:

=p~ =p~ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ (-| I have never driven in Liwa before, can I also join (-| ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ =p~ =p~ Need to send my car for service between this and next Friday :yesss: . Is it recommended to equip with Jerrycans or a Full tank Fuel (60Lts I believe) will be sufficient since we can fill just before entering desert.

Can I join intermediate/advance convoy with stock suspension or a lift is must for advance drive in Liwa? :-w :-w

Last but not the least Marshal Humayun :thanks: a lot for posting this wonderful :drive: :drive: :drive:

Vijay, just driving in Liwa even on tracks is an experience. Lately the construction activities are on the rise, courtesy the oil and gas firms but Liwa is too big a wilderness. There will be plenty of spotless dunes for us to enjoy.

It’s always advisable to have extra Jerry cans for trips like these, specially Jeep Wranglers, the pre 2012 models. You should secure the Jerry cans on the outside of your cars from a safety perspective.

Members, if your cars do not give you a good mileage then please make secure arrangements to carry extra fuel.

If you get 450-500 kms on-road on a full tank, then an extra 20 lt jerry can would suffice for this trip. If it’s less than that, I recommend two, 20 lt jerry cans atleast.

Vehicles with a double tank should be good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.