Pros and Cons of Owning a Jeep Wrangler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Pros and Cons of Owning a Jeep Wrangler.

The Jeep Wrangler is definitely not for everyone. It largely depends on your personality, and your sense of adventure, as to whether or not you should be the owner of one.

For example, a sports car enthusiast will not like the Wrangler. Those who prefer the luxury of a smooth ride or leather seats will be highly disappointed. Families with children will prefer the safety and security that other SUVs provide.

In sum, those who view driving simply as a means of getting from one place to the next should look elsewhere, because the Wrangler is for those who seek adventure, those who have an interest in taking their vehicle places they’ve never gone before, and those who enjoy driving for no reason other than to be out in the great outdoors.

Some think of a Wrangler basically as a crude form of SUV.

The Wrangler is more about attitude and less about practicality than most other SUVs on the market. In fact, Jeep put “utility” in the sport-utility vehicle and called it a Wrangler. With removable doors, a fold-down windshield, removable top, replacement half-doors, holes in the floorboards for hosing out the interior when it’s dirty – now that’s utility!

PROS: On the plus side, here are Best Things About Owning A Jeep

Classic design / unique look
    Can be fully customized to your liking – lots of options & aftermarket items
    Unique styling serves as both an SUV and a convertible
    4×4 capabilities – can handle any road anywhere
    Height advantage over most cars – great visibility
    Good heating system
    A simply constructed vehicle that’s easy to repair
    Short wheelbase, powerful drivetrain, body size & tight turning ratios all great for off-roading
    Small size & light weight, make it a cinch to swing into tight spots
    Great vehicle for all seasons
    Jeep fraternity of friends for life
    Rugged and durable – lasts for many years & many miles
    Handles well on pavement, mud, sand, snow, water, etc.
    Appeals to adults & teens alike
    Durable interior made for weathering the elements
    Fun to drive – turns every drive into an adventure
    Relatively low price / good value
    Excellent resale value
    Parts are plentiful and cheap for repairs
    In sum, a Jeep Wrangler gives you the ability to express yourself, and allows you the freedom to drive anywhere you want to drive. It’s the ultimate “go anywhere, do anything” vehicle! Buying a Jeep also admits you into an extremely active and public fraternity. Whether you’re young in age or young at heart, it’s the youthful sense of adventure that make a Wrangler a great vehicle to own. And to top it all off, Wranglers hold their value quite well, so you’ll get excellent resell value when you’re ready to sell.

CONS:On the down side, here are Worst Things About Owning A Jeep.

Weak acceleration, especially on interstates
    Awkward ingress – requires high step in
    Lack of cargo space for luggage, groceries, etc.
    Noisy – road, wind, engine, and tire noise
    Firm suspension results in a stiff, bumpy ride
    Rear visibility can be a challenge with the top on
    Slow steering
    Tall, boxy profile is not aerodynamic meaning greater wind resistance & wind noise
    Uncomfortable front seat positions for taller drivers
    Everything is an “option” – carpet, steel doors, rear seat, etc.
    Outdated appearance of gauges and switchgear
    Difficult getting in and out of rear seat
    Small, flimsy doors
    Rear-view mirror is in the line of vision for taller drivers
    Base sound system is less than adequate
    If you’re riding without the top/sides, you must always be prepared for rain – plastic bags are a lifesaver for your gear
    Cramped rear seating
    Lack of side mirrors when you take off the doors
    Short wheelbase makes highway driving rougher than in larger vehicles
    Un-insulated roof
    No lockable trunk/cargo area
    Less practical in warmer climates
    It’s only a 4-seater
    Poor fuel economy (typical of SUVs)

Before purchasing a Wrangler, here are some of the things you should consider:
    If you don’t like the outdoors, you won’t like a Wrangler.
    If you’re overly concerned about luxury, safety or security, you won’t like a Wrangler.
    If you really need a passenger vehicle, a Wrangler probably won’t work for you.
    If you need space for hauling things (luggage, groceries, etc.), the Wrangler won’t do it for you, nor does it have a trunk compartment that locks.
    If you have a long commute, you won’t enjoy the noisy ride, and the Wrangler guzzles gas.
    If you have a large family, you won’t be able to comfortably seat everyone in a Wrangler.
    If you (or your passengers) are concerned about how you’ll “look” when you get to your destination, then you might not appreciate the “sweat factor” or “windblown hair” you get from riding in a Jeep convertible.
    In sum, a Wrangler is definitely a “no frills” vehicle. It comes with very few “extras”, and some of the most basic things (carpet, steel doors, rear seat) are considered options. If comfort, security, and safety are tops on your list of vehicle requirements, you should probably think twice about buying a Jeep Wrangler.

October 29, 2013 at 12:22 pm #27766

What a wonderful sum up of owning a Wrangler :thanks: .
    all the cons – I dont care about it, after all I learned driving as a 15 year old in an ex-UAE Army 1974 Landrover which took half a turn or the steering to budge the tires, third gear required me to shift to the mid passenger seat almost, and the clutch? You can call it a step because my weight would press it down. the lock was on the right door.

I have been to Umra and Back with her. with my wife & kids. Ive made more friends in it than I made in the last 17 years :drive:

October 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm #27768

thanks for valuable information :thanks:

what about fj ๐Ÿ˜€

October 30, 2013 at 6:20 am #27770
    quote FJ 22114:

thanks for valuable information :thanks:

what about fj ๐Ÿ˜€

I had posted this article in 2008 when I used to drive a Wrangler, which was subsequently sold in favour of a 80 series 97 model year Landcruiser and now my current ride is a 2008 TRD specs FJ cruiser.
    There are absolutely no drawbacks with FJ and it is almost as capable as a Wrangler in offroad situations and much much more comfortable on Road, I recently did close to 800kms. in the FJ after the Wahiba drive in 1 go…in about 9 hours, including a couple of stops to refuel & have dinner and of course the stop at Passport Control on the Hatta Border. I am sure even the most die hard Jeep enthusiasts will agree that this would be impossible in a wrangler.
    The only issue with FJ for me is the lack of space for the 2nd seat passengers as well as the storage at the back…but then obviously we cannot compare a FJ with a LC, as these are vehicles designed for 2 separate market segments!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

October 30, 2013 at 3:17 pm #27772

very crisp and relevant comparison Pervez bhai. Though Wrangler has also come a long way with relatively better ride comfort of JK over its predecessors, FJ being a recently designed vehicle, has more elaborate safety features, except ofcourse the built-in roll-cage of a wrangler.

but if you ask a jeeper, its the JEEP thing ๐Ÿ˜€ and they do take pride in it. All said and done, Wrangler is the Harley of the offroad world,

October 30, 2013 at 5:11 pm #27773
    quote AJS:

very crisp and relevant comparison Pervez bhai. Though Wrangler has also come a long way with relatively better ride comfort of JK over its predecessors, FJ being a recently designed vehicle, has more elaborate safety features, except ofcourse the built-in roll-cage of a wrangler.

but if you ask a jeeper, its the JEEP thing ๐Ÿ˜€ and they do take pride in it. All said and done, Wrangler is the Harley of the offroad world,

You are right…it is a Jeep thing…
    ๐Ÿ™‚

October 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm #27776
    quote AJS:

Ajay my friend, although I’ve driven jeep’s I’d certainly never buy one, every Jeep owner I’ve ever meet, with the exception of the newer more evolved style , Duncan & Aemi for ex,seem to spend more time tweaking & tinkering than anything else!! Perhaps a little bit of an exaggeration however, the noise level in the interior makes it’s not a distance vehicle and a little retro.

It cannot be compared to a Harley, totally wrong comparison, other than it being originally of US design and build. The FJC is not comparable either.It being an evolutionary sport vehicle, not a leftover from the second world war.

Now lets discuss rollover cages, the FJC is engineered with a built-in roll-over cage. Check out the roof dbl-door design structure. Jeep are lighter vehicles of course which helps the bounce dynamics in a roll.

In the end Jeepers are Jeepers, it’s an image thing, but for a one size fits all vehicle, the FJC is probably the most complete, endlessly modifiable, off road vehicle currently on the market.:yesss:

October 31, 2013 at 5:40 am #27780
    quote brianj:

quote AJS:

In the end Jeepers are Jeepers, it’s an image thing, but for a one size fits all vehicle, the FJC is probably the most complete, endlessly modifiable, off road vehicle currently on the market.:yesss:

Brian, you are die-hard FJC fan ๐Ÿ™‚ and we love our FJ :yesss:

October 31, 2013 at 8:34 am #27786

thank you for very much needed informations on the Jeep.

October 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm #27788
    quote brianj:

Ajay my friend, although I’ve driven jeep’s I’d certainly never buy one, every Jeep owner I’ve ever meet, with the exception of the newer more evolved style , Duncan & Aemi for ex,seem to spend more time tweaking & tinkering than anything else!! Perhaps a little bit of an exaggeration however, the noise level in the interior makes it’s not a distance vehicle and a little retro.

It cannot be compared to a Harley, totally wrong comparison, other than it being originally of US design and build. The FJC is not comparable either.It being an evolutionary sport vehicle, not a leftover from the second world war.

Now lets discuss rollover cages, the FJC is engineered with a built-in roll-over cage. Check out the roof dbl-door design structure. Jeep are lighter vehicles of course which helps the bounce dynamics in a roll.

thanks Brian for the insiders’ view. I have seen wrangler’s from a distance only so no first hand experience. my reference to Harley was only from the pride/image that the jeepers carry and not to reflect wranglers’ quality or built.

appreciate your feedback

October 31, 2013 at 3:10 pm #27791

gud to know about jeep. :thanks:
    but I don’t know what happened to hummer I never read any article about hummer (h2).
    i want to know more about my vehicle but…. never found any detailed article !!!!
    :-s :-s :-s :-s

November 3, 2013 at 9:10 am #27813
    quote Saad Cheema:

but I don’t know what happened to hummer I never read any article about hummer (h2).
    i want to know more about my vehicle but…. never found any detailed article !!!!

Sadly ! Saad,

It don’t even deserve to write anything about it ๐Ÿ˜€

November 3, 2013 at 9:20 am #27816
    quote brianj:

quote AJS:

Wow, best comment ever heard regarding a jeep comparison with FJ…heartfelt thanks!!!

November 4, 2013 at 7:44 am #27836
    quote Saad Cheema:

Hi Saad

I own an H3 and I too used to get depressed like you initially watching the Jeeps and Toyotas go about their busines in the sand. To understand American off-road vehicles, you need to understand the American landscape. They are devoid of the sand oceans that we enjoy in this part of the world so obviously the rigs they manufactured were built to perform on their terrain. Having said that, the Jeep is a fantastic all-round rig on any off-road terrain minus the on-road comfort which the Toyotas or Nissans can provide you with.

Over a period of time, I have learnt to accept and enjoy what I have and focus more on improving my off-road skills by discussing, learning, practising and applying what I was taught by the Marshals and fellow offroaders. Remember one thing, it’s the driver and not the car.

I too was contemplating on a better rig for off-road adventures and the choice was between the FJ and the JK. I opted for the JK as the FJ will be discontinued after 2014(based on certain reports I have come across) and I didn’t want to own another car which will be soon be out of production.

There are other options ofcourse like the LC, Prado or Patrol if money is not an issue.

I keep the following three things in mind whenever I go off-road irrespective of the rig :

1.I will be safe.
    2.I will keep my car safe.
    3.I don’t have to prove anything to anyone.

Just for fun and be safe :drive:

Regards

Sajid

November 4, 2013 at 10:27 am #27842
    quote Saj:

quote Saad Cheema:

Hi Saad

I own an H3 and I too used to get depressed like you initially …………

I keep the following three things in mind whenever I go off-road irrespective of the rig :

1.I will be safe.
    2.I will keep my car safe.
    3.I don’t have to prove anything to anyone.

Just for fun and be safe :drive:

Regards

Sajid

Hey Sajid, right on with these words bro ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.