RE-DISCOVER D SAND MOUNTAIN (Trip Postponed 2 Jabal Akhdar)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author

Date 3rd March 2011
    Meeting: 2.15 PM (Tawi Nizwa) Convoy will be leaving sharp 2.30 PM.
    You need to have your passport, car registration license and Oman insurance. If you do not have Oman insurance, it can be obtained from the border at the cost of AED 100.
    This is 2 days Trip. We will be back in Dubai By Saturday Evening.

Following are few details about Jabal Al Akhdar.

Jabal Al Akhdar (The Green Mountain)

About hundred seventy five Km southwest of Muscat, the highest peak of the Jabal al-Akhdar (“green mountain” in Arabic) region is Jabal Shams, which rises to nearly 10,000 feet. The region received its name from the relatively abundant vegetation found on its slopes and valleys. Because it receives up to twenty-eight inches of rain per year, and portions of it have suitable soil in its valleys, plateaus, and man-made terraces, a variety of agricultural products can be grown in Jabal al-Akhdar, including wheat, legumes, and a variety of fruits such as grapes, pomegranates, and peaches. The thrilling views from the Jabal al Akhder, as well as its balmy climate, are among the qualities that distinguish it as one of the top tourism spots in the Sultanate.

Weather @ Jabal Al Akhdar
    The winter season starts by the middle of October and lasts till March (Jabal Al Akhdar). Since March is the end of winter season weather should be very pleasant but it could be cold for some of us the Average temperature in March is High of 16.0 ยฐC and Low 7.0 ยฐC. So please keep some woolen clothes with you.

Accommodation
    We will be staying in furnished apartments. So you donโ€™t have to carry your camping gear we will be having heating in our rooms and hot water in Bathrooms, kitchen ready to cook. We have to cay the foodstuff we need. Otherwise there are few restaurants and cafeterias in the village. The accommodation will not cost much if its three bedrooms & hall apartments it usually 75 to 80 OMR.

Note: since we have to book the apartments every one who wants be the part of this trip has to conform by 20th Feb other wise latecomers have to carry thereโ€™s camping gear.

For any further enquiry on this trip feel free to call Anil Berry 050/628-5171.

All those seriously interested and sure of their participation shall start registering by putting in their names, car type mob Nos.

:drive:

February 5, 2011 at 11:31 am #13635

List of participants:
    1 Anil Berry + 1 (LC 050/628-5171)
    4 .

February 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm #13636
    quote desert knight:

sir just a few questions ,

1. how long is the drive from here
    2. is the complete drive on road
    3. is it 80 omr for one room for one day

The drive is 4-5 hours and all of it is blacktop now…Add on whatever extra time may be required at the border to complete the visa formalities.
    There are furnished 2-3 bedroom suites available for the amount quoted by Jessil, these can obviously be shared amongst a number of members / families.
    Jebel Al Akhdar does mean The Green Mountain but for those of us used to the Green Mountains of Lonavla / Khandalla/ Nainital / Ranikhet / Shimla etc. these Green Mountains were obviously a disappointment…
    In fact the rock itself, as you may notice is green due to the high percentage of Copper as a mineral in the Rock itself.
    The highlight of the place are the breathtaking views over the steep drops and the beautiful terraced fields so painstakingly carved out of the mountains.

February 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm #13637
    quote Ahmed Pervez:

quote desert knight:

The drive is 4-5 hours and all of it is blacktop now…Add on whatever extra time may be required at the border to complete the visa formalities.
    There are furnished 2-3 bedroom suites available for the amount quoted by Jessil, these can obviously be shared amongst a number of members / families.
    Jebel Al Akhdar does mean The Green Mountain but for those of us used to the Green Mountains of Lonavla / Khandalla/ Nainital / Ranikhet / Shimla etc. these Green Mountains were obviously a disappointment…
    In fact the rock itself, as you may notice is green due to the high percentage of Copper as a mineral in the Rock itself.
    The highlight of the place are the breathtaking views over the steep drops and the beautiful terraced fields so painstakingly carved out of the mountains.

๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•
    Ahmed Bhai where did Jessil Quoted about furnished 2-3 bedroom suites?

February 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm #13638
    quote desert knight:

1. yes Ali Bhai As Ahmed Bhai said Its 4 to 5 from Meeting point + time at hatta border.
    2. it’s all on Road.
    3. it will be about 80 omr For three families.
    :thanks:

February 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm #13639

Anil bhai… Count me in….

Ahmed bhai.. Y ur name is not in any of the trip which is out off UAE…. R u in a wanted list with emigration? :p

February 6, 2011 at 5:02 am #13641
    quote anilberry:

๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•
    Ahmed Bhai where did Jessil Quoted about furnished 2-3 bedroom suites?

Correction!!!
    That was your post,
    The last line under accomodation in the first post.

February 6, 2011 at 5:08 am #13642
    quote Desert Dragon:

Anil bhai… Count me in….

Ahmed bhai.. Y ur name is not in any of the trip which is out off UAE…. R u in a wanted list with emigration? :p

Wadis are not on my wanted list….I prefer sand.

I have been to Musandam, Salalah, Jebel Akhdar and Jebel Shams etc. at least thrice…even when they did not have paved roads to these places.

We have to do Wahiba sands soon, though.
    Even if it is already quite late in the season for that…

February 6, 2011 at 5:09 am #13644

[quote=”anilberry”]List of participants:
    2.Salim Khan + 1
    4 .

February 6, 2011 at 8:42 am #13646

[quote=”Ahmed Pervez”]

I have been to Musandam, Salalah, Jebel Akhdar and Jebel Shams etc. at least thrice…even when they did not have paved roads to these places.

Even if it is already quite late in the season for that…[/quote]

Ahmed Bhai I know you have been to Musandam, Salalah, Jebel Akhdar and Jebel Shams etc. thrice BUT NEVER WITH US. ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™
    ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    We will do Wahiba sands soon is good News but #:-s .

February 6, 2011 at 8:44 am #13647

List of participants:

2. Salim Khan + 1
    3. Jessil
    4. Ahmed Khan + 2

February 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm #13649

2. Salim Khan + 1
    3. Jessil
    4. Ahmed Khan + 2
    5. Abdullah + 1

February 7, 2011 at 5:40 am #13652
    quote Ahmed Pervez:

quote Desert Dragon:

Anil bhai… Count me in….

Wadis are not on my wanted list….I prefer sand.

Even if it is already quite late in the season for that…

Ahmed Bhai,
    When do you plan to do Wahiba?

February 7, 2011 at 8:46 am #13654

List of participants:

2. Salim Khan + 1
    3. Jessil
    4. Ahmed Khan + 2
    5. Abdullah + 1
    6. Rao + 2

February 8, 2011 at 6:38 am #13658

List of participants:

2. Salim Khan + 1
    3. Jessil
    4. Ahmed Khan + 2
    5. Abdullah + 1
    6. Rao + 2
    7. Sridhar + 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.