Saturday Morning Intermediate Drive on 16th March 2013

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    quote brianj:

quote Andy19:

I’m in – where’s the meeting point??

Andy I’ll PM you now, hold one

Welcome Andy ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks Brian :thanks:

March 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm #24596

Thanks Brian – see you there.

March 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm #24600

I dont call this as a drive report, would prefer call it as “Drive Review Report” ๐Ÿ˜€

Before going to drive details, first let me thank all drivers and Marshals who participated in the drive. The drive being an intermediate level, experienced members from learner’s group who requested to participate were permitted.

The convoy was of 12 cars. Thank you Andy, Mathews, Rein, Musbah, Brian and wildcard entries Razik, Shabeer, Imran, Duncan for safely executing the game :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: Tough tasks at sweep were safely handled by our dear marshals Ashok, Ganesh and Amjed ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

The route chosen for this drive was Shuwaib to Badayer, a real challenging terrain of crossing very high dunes, tricky pace drive across soft dunes and sinking bowls. Certainly it required the ideal combination of technique, driving skill and vehicle power. Deficiency or surplus of any one factor wont help rather will create snags. I think that’s the valuable take away from this drive :-BD ๐Ÿ™‚

Drive pace suffered very badly during the first phase due to the toughness of the track covering merely 9 kms in 2 hours ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Few vulnerabilities of the convoy got exposed in this phase ๐Ÿ˜‰ To gain momentum and to the reach the destination within the schedule time, drive level was dropped drastically. All drivers are quite experienced and I need not explain more in detail what was this change :ymsmug: No regrets, hope it was a nice learning experience ๐Ÿ™‚

Also when the drivers are not within their comfort zone, its never safe to maintain higher drive level as they tend to do something stupid, which can turn out to be really dangerous :-ss

I hope the first timers in intermediate drive could feel the drive level and risk involved since even intermediate drivers struggled to cope with. Perhaps can better understand now, why we need to restrict the convoy size and say no to few requests :-BD ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

However, nice job by everybody :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: handled the challenges very safely :-BD and thanks again for making this drive another successful one for DOs ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Andy for the excellent second lead , Thanks Musbah for the yummy homemade muffins and for the support to Brian and Razik :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Words are not enough to praise the hardwork and convoy support by our great marshals Ganesh, Ashok and Amjed :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: supported by our regular sweep incharge Mathews :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

See you all again very soon at sands, have a very nice week :-BD ๐Ÿ™‚

March 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm #24601
    quote GKumar:

I dont call this as a drive report, would prefer call it as “Drive Review Report” ๐Ÿ˜€

Before going to drive details, first let me thank all drivers and Marshals who participated in the drive. The drive being an intermediate level, experienced members from learner’s group who requested to participate were permitted.

The convoy was of 12 cars. Thank you Andy, Mathews, Rein, Musbah, Brian and wildcard entries Razik, Shabeer, Imran, Duncan for safely executing the game :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: Tough tasks at sweep were safely handled by our dear marshals Ashok, Ganesh and Amjed ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

The route chosen for this drive was Shuwaib to Badayer, a real challenging terrain of crossing very high dunes, tricky pace drive across soft dunes and sinking bowls. Certainly it required the ideal combination of technique, driving skill and vehicle power. Deficiency or surplus of any one factor wont help rather will create snags. I think that’s the valuable take away from this drive :-BD ๐Ÿ™‚

Drive pace suffered very badly during the first phase due to the toughness of the track covering merely 9 kms in 2 hours ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Few vulnerabilities of the convoy got exposed in this phase ๐Ÿ˜‰ To gain momentum and to the reach the destination within the schedule time, drive level was dropped drastically. All drivers are quite experienced and I need not explain more in detail what was this change :ymsmug: No regrets, hope it was a nice learning experience ๐Ÿ™‚

Also when the drivers are not within their comfort zone, its never safe to maintain higher drive level as they tend to do something stupid, which can turn out to be really dangerous :-ss

I hope the first timers in intermediate drive could feel the drive level and risk involved since even intermediate drivers struggled to cope with. Perhaps can better understand now, why we need to restrict the convoy size and say no to few requests :-BD ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

However, nice job by everybody :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: handled the challenges very safely :-BD and thanks again for making this drive another successful one for DOs ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Andy for the excellent second lead , Thanks Musbah for the yummy homemade muffins and for the support to Brian and Razik :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Words are not enough to praise the hardwork and convoy support by our great marshals Ganesh, Ashok and Amjed :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: supported by our regular sweep incharge Mathews :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

Kumar, Thanks alot for carving a very tactful & challenging track, though i too had a retry at a certain point, the drive dint turn up to the expectation as this was my last drive of the season and the smallest track covered & wud not be able to join DO drives till sometime due to work commitments. however I thank all the participants at today’s drive.

once again I thank Kumar , Ganesh ,Ashok & Mathews for their untiring efforts at lead & sweep.

see u all very soon till then keep driving safe & enjoy.

March 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm #24602

Perfect Lead :thanks: Kumar Ji and thanks for all Marshals @ Sweep. Thanks Folks for the nice :drive:

March 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm #24603
    quote GKumar:

A Sand bug’ss report B-)

Ouch!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Does that alarm say 4.55am, I must need my lumps feeling!! ๐Ÿ˜€

With the morning breeze kicking up a lively dusting of sand the days crew gathered around Kumar under the shadow of some quite big dunes ๐Ÿ™‚ After a very brief briefing and a little berating for our navigation skills we were off, straight up and over to a mornings adventure.

The Line up: Kumar Lead Marshall :thanks: Andy second lead Good job mate ๐Ÿ˜‰ and the rest of us; Rein, Shabeer, Imran, Razik, Me, Duncan, Musbah, Sanjay thanks for the company guys ๐Ÿ™‚ and our trusty Sweep group of Marshall’s Ganesh, Ashok and Amjed :thanks:

No need to into detail Kumar said above, however a little bit of detail always gives the reader something to chew on ๐Ÿ˜€ Without more ado, some detail then.

Very early on, I, whilst recovering fallen ‘goodies from the passenger floor well, knocked my beast into gear and lunged into the back of poor Razik’s mare.

๐Ÿ˜• ..Umm not a good start to the day but nothing fatal either, nothing a Police report and a good insurance company couldn’t fix (that’s what we pay our premiums for after all) Thanks Musbah for translation services later in the day. Disregarding the cosmetic damage we moved on into a delightful playground of bowls- ridges- crests- crossovers and the like. These presented various challenges to the group and some time was consumed coping with this learning experience, a back tyre pop-out gave a few of us a chance to hone our skills at the pop-in job ๐Ÿ˜€ A second pop-out caused by an overly aggressive wheel movement just before a drop gave our Ferrari team of popin experts more fun and Sanjay’s super jack was deployed :thanks:

Following 2 0r 3 hours of fun and a few more dunes which some found more challenging than others, this was an intermediate drive remember, we gathered under the shade of a few tree house’s looking over the dunes towards Ghost town….. camels could be seen ๐Ÿ˜ฎ were they attempting to lure us closer!!!!! :ymdevil:

The multiple challenges of the morning had unduly ate into our allotted time and Kumar decided that it was time to head out to Al Badayer and inflation.

:thanks: for the :drive: to Kumar, Ganesh, Ashok and Amjed who we will miss in the next few weeks, take care brother of the sand.

The Police at the Labhab Police post were very friendly and offered Razik and I tea whilst they completed the necessary paperwork ๐Ÿ˜€

March 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm #24604
    quote brianj:

๐Ÿ˜• ..Umm not a good start to the day but nothing fatal either, nothing a Police report and a good insurance company couldn’t fix (that’s what we pay our premiums for after all) Thanks Musbah for translation services later in the day.

The Police at the Labhab Police post were very friendly and offered Razik and I tea whilst they completed the necessary paperwork ๐Ÿ˜€

Just to clear the possible ambiguity ๐Ÿ˜€
    Brian’s FJ fell in love with Razik’s Fortuner ๐Ÿ˜ก Today the naughty FJ took a chance to give a kiss to Fortuner :-* and both ended up visiting Lahbab police post :))

March 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm #24605
    quote brianj:

quote GKumar:

A Sand bug’ss report B-)

Ouch!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Does that alarm say 4.55am, I must need my lumps feeling!! ๐Ÿ˜€

With the morning breeze kicking up a lively dusting of sand the days crew gathered around Kumar under the shadow of some quite big dunes ๐Ÿ™‚ After a very brief briefing and a little berating for our navigation skills we were off, straight up and over to a mornings adventure.

The Line up: Kumar Lead Marshall :thanks: Andy second lead Good job mate ๐Ÿ˜‰ and the rest of us; Rein, Shabeer, Imran, Razik, Me, Duncan, Musbah, Sanjay thanks for the company guys ๐Ÿ™‚ and our trusty Sweep group of Marshall’s Ganesh, Ashok and Amjed :thanks:

No need to into detail Kumar said above, however a little bit of detail always gives the reader something to chew on ๐Ÿ˜€ Without more ado, some detail then.

Very early on, I, whilst recovering fallen ‘goodies from the passenger floor well, knocked my beast into gear and lunged into the back of poor Razik’s mare.

๐Ÿ˜• ..Umm not a good start to the day but nothing fatal either, nothing a Police report and a good insurance company couldn’t fix (that’s what we pay our premiums for after all) Thanks Musbah for translation services later in the day. Disregarding the cosmetic damage we moved on into a delightful playground of bowls- ridges- crests- crossovers and the like. These presented various challenges to the group and some time was consumed coping with this learning experience, a back tyre pop-out gave a few of us a chance to hone our skills at the pop-in job ๐Ÿ˜€ A second pop-out caused by an overly aggressive wheel movement just before a drop gave our Ferrari team of popin experts more fun and Sanjay’s super jack was deployed :thanks:

Following 2 0r 3 hours of fun and a few more dunes which some found more challenging than others, this was an intermediate drive remember, we gathered under the shade of a few tree house’s looking over the dunes towards Ghost town….. camels could be seen ๐Ÿ˜ฎ were they attempting to lure us closer!!!!! :ymdevil:

The multiple challenges of the morning had unduly ate into our allotted time and Kumar decided that it was time to head out to Al Badayer and inflation.

:thanks: for the :drive: to Kumar, Ganesh, Ashok and Amjed who we will miss in the next few weeks, take care brother of the sand.

๐Ÿ˜• Just want to add that you did a great job today by conducting several rescues helping our Sweep Marshals :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

The second correction is that the super duper Jack is mine and Mathews took the chance today in fixing the popout… :ymapplause: :thanks: buddy.

March 17, 2013 at 6:14 am #24608
    quote musbah:

quote brianj:

quote GKumar:

A Sand bug’ss report B-)
    ๐Ÿ˜€

๐Ÿ˜• Just want to add that you did a great job today by conducting several rescues helping our Sweep Marshals :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

The second correction is that the super duper Jack is mine and Mathews took the chance today in fixing the popout… :ymapplause: :thanks: buddy.

Musbah I didn’t know you had a super jack ๐Ÿ˜€ , I just assumed it was Sanjay’s, WOW 2 black FJ’s and 2 super jacks.
    It was definitely the Ferrari wheel change team in training, there’s a kilo of sand in that tyre ๐Ÿ˜€
    :thanks:

March 17, 2013 at 6:32 am #24611

Thanks to Kumar and the members of Task force for organizing this drive :thanks: :ymhug: . An excellent selection of track from Shuwaib to Badayer โ€“ high dunes, ridges, crests, side slopes tricky and sinking bowls and many more alike. :drive:

This drive being an Intermediate level drive was really exhilarating and demanding for both the drivers and their vehicle, which required the combination of both driverโ€™s skills and right vehicle power to negotiate thru the track that Kumar carved in for us to follow. Indeed this is the intermediate drive to remember!!! ;;)

A lot of learningโ€™s from this drive; – on all my drives in the sand, I have seen pop-outs occurring on front tyres, but to my surprise, my first ever pop-out was on my rear tyre ๐Ÿ˜ฎ which occurred when I was trying hard to avoid being sucked towards the center of a tricky/sinking bowlโ€ฆnot a good place to stop โ€“ so rear tyre pop-outs do happen. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ :ymsigh:

๐Ÿ˜• A couple of recovery from the crests-offs and a couple of 2nd attempts gave me the feel of the required inputs to my White Stallion so as to avoid any more pace stoppers. It is a complete different driving experience when you are tackling such high dunes. Such a multiple challengeโ€ฆrequires your full attention. :drive:

I strongly believe all of us had fun on this drive, went back home with a lots of learning, with improved driving skills and most of all the understanding of their own and that of their vehicleโ€™s limits. I think Kumar silently ๐Ÿ˜• dropped the level a bit so that all of us could proceed within our safe limits. :-w

Thanks to Andy for his excellent job as 2nd lead and same goes to Ashok, Ganesh & Amjed for their excellent sweeps at the rear of the convoy. Thanks to Brian, Mathews, Musbah, Duncan, Shabeer, Imran & Razik for participating and making this drive another safe and successful one. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

See you all again, till then be safe and have a good week ahead.

March 17, 2013 at 8:41 am #24619

Thank u everyone who have posted the reports covering the entire scenery…. Though Kumar had different plans for the drive….he had to bring down the level looking at the performance of few drivers in the convoy….but he never let the fun down….at few times he had to take a small nap so that everyone joins him ๐Ÿ˜€ ….

Thanks Kumar for the lead….Ashokbhai & Mathews for the continuous rescue support, Musbah for the nice muffins ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice to know that everyone enjoyed the drive

See you next week for yet another exciting drive…. Wl post the pictures today on Facebook page….

Cheers

March 18, 2013 at 5:41 am #24651
    quote Ganesh:

Thank u everyone who have posted the reports covering the entire scenery…. Though Kumar had different plans for the drive….he had to bring down the level looking at the performance of few drivers in the convoy….but he never let the fun down….at few times he had to take a small nap so that everyone joins him ๐Ÿ˜€ ….

Thanks Kumar for the lead….Ashokbhai, Mathews and Brian :ymdevil: for the continuous rescue support, Musbah for the nice muffins ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice to know that everyone enjoyed the drive

See you next week for yet another exciting drive…. Wl post the pictures today on Facebook page….

Cheers

:ymdevil:

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.