Should I buy FJ?? <<< HELP >>>>

• Author
    February 3, 2021 at 8:10 am #3563

Hi guys!

I’m a newbie and I want to buy a car for offroading mainly and to be able to sell it after one year for a reasonable price

I like Jeep but I can’t afford new one ‘:) , maybe I can afford 2013, however, it looks like I should be a close friend with my mechanic to survive 🙂

So I thought to go with FJ Cruiser 2008 or 2009, the price looks reasonable for my budget, hopefully less than 40K, but do you think it will be a good choice for me or I might face troubles since the car is 13 years old? any experience if there are common issues with FJ 2008/2009?

If you know a reliable mechanic to check the car for me before buying, that would be great!

Thanks for your help!
    Issam

February 3, 2021 at 11:13 am #44719

Toyota is always your best bet whether buying new or used. I think a 2008 or 2009 FJ is a really good choice. I personally have a 2008 FJ and it is the best vehicle I’ve owned for offroading. You will need a snorkel if it doesn’t have a snorkel when you buy it as it picks up sand and clogs the air filter; apart from that, you should be good.

Anonymous
    February 3, 2021 at 12:51 pm #44720

that sounds encouraging! thanks @Hamza Ahmad for your help

any workshop you trust to check the car before I buy it?

February 4, 2021 at 12:48 pm #44721

There are two trucks that are universally liked for dune bashing – Jeep Wranglers, and Toyota FJs and Fortuner (basically the same truck with a slightly different body style).

I have owned two FJs – rolled one in Sweihan doing an advanced drive right after a rain storm. The FJ saved me from any damage, but it was rolled 4 times down a bowl, and written off.

They are built TOUGH. Many trucks wouldn’t have survived that – we drove it out of the desert after we replaced a tire, and re-inflated another. AXA still wrote it off, it had significant body damage – but I was OK, just spitting sand.

There are few trucks with as much aftermarket support, that are reliable. Maybe the Pajero, but it has a smaller, less powerful engine… The Jeep isn’t as reliable (but I do lust after its visibility!).

Yes, you should buy an FJ. (If you had the money for a new Bronco, I would say that is an option, but they need a year at least to prove themselves… )

Be sure to get it checked out by a competent mechanic if buying used. Make sure they test the engine compression as part of that. (I recommend Rajesh Paul Paul of Marshall Automotive… if you need a recommendation.)

February 5, 2021 at 12:03 pm #44722
    quote Future_Shock999 post_id=51130 time=1612442921 user_id=26169:

There are two trucks that are universally liked for dune bashing – Jeep Wranglers, and Toyota FJs and Fortuner (basically the same truck with a slightly different body style).

I have owned two FJs – rolled one in Sweihan doing an advanced drive right after a rain storm. The FJ saved me from any damage, but it was rolled 4 times down a bowl, and written off.

They are built TOUGH. Many trucks wouldn’t have survived that – we drove it out of the desert after we replaced a tire, and re-inflated another. AXA still wrote it off, it had significant body damage – but I was OK, just spitting sand.

There are few trucks with as much aftermarket support, that are reliable. Maybe the Pajero, but it has a smaller, less powerful engine… The Jeep isn’t as reliable (but I do lust after its visibility!).

Yes, you should buy an FJ. (If you had the money for a new Bronco, I would say that is an option, but they need a year at least to prove themselves… )

Be sure to get it checked out by a competent mechanic if buying used. Make sure they test the engine compression as part of that. (I recommend Rajesh Paul Paul of Marshall Automotive… if you need a recommendation.)

The FJ cruiser is one of the best cars for off-roading and holds its value well (as others have said), and is reasonable to maintain.

As @Future_Shock999 mentioned, the Pajero is a fantastic (low-cost) option for the desert but you’d want to get the 3.8L Short Wheel Base for maximum fun. (The Pajero LWB can also be great but most drivers feel the need to modify it early).

There are many other options too – you’ll have fun with almost any 4×4 in the year that you’ll own it – just get it checked over before buying it, as you’ve said 😁

Anonymous
    February 6, 2021 at 3:59 pm #44727

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience!

@Future_Shock999 can you share the Rajesh Paul contact details with me via email? Thanks

February 10, 2021 at 12:33 pm #44728

I sent you a PM, did you get it?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.