Special offer on Garmin Montana 600/650 for Dubai offroaders

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Thanks Ahmed bhai got my unit and used it today it’s pretty decent.

December 28, 2013 at 6:51 am #28429
    quote Ahmad Pervez:

quote Amjed:

Thanks Ahmed Bhai, i got the montana 600 delivered yesterday evening. one question, when connected to the garmin website to register the device why is it that it does not show any maps on the device?

If it show the maps when you switch it on to navigate, then obviously the maps are there.

Its logical as none would be connecting to a computer while driving off road ๐Ÿ˜€ and as long as the device is displaying the map for us to navigate , problem solved.

However,Ahmed sb, am asking this out of curiosity : In case we were to plot a route or create a waypoint on the map and transfer way points to & fro to device & com, dont we need the map to show on the computer ( Mapsource etc)? Or is there a way around to accomplish these tasks ?

Kindly elaborate at your convenience. Am sure this will benefit many novices, including yours truly.

December 28, 2013 at 8:45 am #28434
    quote ksr226:

However,Ahmed sb, am asking this out of curiosity : In case we were to plot a route or create a waypoint on the map and transfer way points to & fro to device & com, dont we need the map to show on the computer ( Mapsource etc)? Or is there a way around to accomplish these tasks ?

Kindly elaborate at your convenience. Am sure this will benefit many novices, including yours truly.

If you have a .gpx or a .gdx file on your comp which you have either created or received or downloaded, then all you need to do is a simple copy paste of that file onto the device. My maps too never show up on the comp.

Bought my unit from AMIT a year ago.

December 28, 2013 at 9:57 am #28435

Related to the above question, Zarir bhai if the map is installed on your device it should show up on basecamp similar to the basemap. How would you go about planning a route if you do not have a map installed? What is the purpose of basecamp in this case? only to transfer data, which I do not seem to understand. I have also been trying to get the map to show up on basecamp but in vain. I’m able to see the map on the device but when you plug the device to laptop you cannot see the city navigator map.img file, which is surprising. Would request someone with a little more knowledge as I’m new to this to help.

December 30, 2013 at 5:03 am #28459

BTW if anyone wants CN Middle East 2014 do let me know can source it for you.

December 30, 2013 at 10:25 am #28460
    quote amithluthra:

I am interested… Send you a PM…

December 31, 2013 at 5:16 pm #28473
    quote amithluthra:

Related to the above question, Zarir bhai if the map is installed on your device it should show up on basecamp similar to the basemap. How would you go about planning a route if you do not have a map installed? What is the purpose of basecamp in this case? only to transfer data, which I do not seem to understand. I have also been trying to get the map to show up on basecamp but in vain. I’m able to see the map on the device but when you plug the device to laptop you cannot see the city navigator map.img file, which is surprising. Would request someone with a little more knowledge as I’m new to this to help.

You will have to register your map product on the Garmin website first.

January 2, 2014 at 6:53 am #28482

Thanks Rein for your help. Yes after confirming with garmin of you want your Maps to show up on basecamp you need to register the product and when tried doing the same turns out that the preloaded maps are pirated copies. Ahmed bhai can you please check on this as this is not what we thought we were getting in the offer..

January 2, 2014 at 9:14 am #28484

This post has been moved to the technical articles forum as it is an observation on how the Garmin’s system works together and is unrelated to the original Post and thus out of context. However if I can help new Garmin users become acquainted with their Garmin – Basecamp and Birdeye Imagery, I’d be delighted to help

January 2, 2014 at 9:41 am #28486
    quote amithluthra:

Thanks Rein for your help. Yes after confirming with garmin of you want your Maps to show up on basecamp you need to register the product and when tried doing the same turns out that the preloaded maps are pirated copies. Ahmed bhai can you please check on this as this is not what we thought we were getting in the offer..

Mr. Ahmad is travelling at the moment, your queries will be answered shortly. Brian made a very good point there.

January 2, 2014 at 9:53 am #28487
    quote brianj:

However couple the Montana, Birdeye imagery(a subscription service) and Basecamp and you have a top flight product with awesome planning possibilities.

Any reason why you continue to use Mapsource and not Base camp ? From what little I’ve read on Google, it seems that Basecamp is the official replacement for Mapsource. I haven’t used either so wondering if one is better than the other or is it just personal preference.

January 2, 2014 at 10:34 am #28488
    quote zarir:

quote brianj:

However couple the Montana, Birdeye imagery(a subscription service) and Mapsource and you have a top flight product with awesome planning possibilities.

Any reason why you continue to use Mapsource and not Base camp ? From what little I’ve read on Google, it seems that Basecamp is the official replacement for Mapsource. I haven’t used either so wondering if one is better than the other or is it just personal preference.

Ho Zarir mate, yes it’s a bit like that been using mapsource for a bit and still see the ‘Basecamp’ Icon as Mapsource, on the boats the Bluechart charting application is linked for update thru mapsource.

:thanks: for correcting me and infact thanks to your astute footwork I’ve corrected my last post, now moved to Technical articles, to avoid confusion and to read as it should
    :thanks:

January 2, 2014 at 1:31 pm #28492

Hi Ahmad,

I would be interested in one 650 as well.. Sorry if I missed it but it comes with the off-road map as well right?

January 2, 2014 at 2:49 pm #28494
    quote amithluthra:

Thanks Amith for the initiative. Just for my understanding,is it the genuine one or the one like preinstalled versions which is available in Deira?

January 2, 2014 at 4:13 pm #28495
    quote ksr226:

quote amithluthra:

Thanks Amith for the initiative. Just for my understanding,is it the genuine one or the one like preinstalled versions which is available in Deira?

LOL…Dearest Sundar, Were u thanking Amith or insulting him for his kind offer ๐Ÿ˜‰

On another note:
    Whilst Im grateful to my friends Brian, Zarir, Rein & many others for sharing such great insight on this topic im a bit overwhelmed too with the rounds about genuine, fake, pirated, Deira version, Sonapur version so on & so forth….
    Im asking does the non genuine one or whatever synonym u give to that takes u elsewhere than the destination intended for navigation?
    For ex if one inserts coordinates for iftar bowl would the map point towards Somalia in the so called unreal one?
    From consumers perspective if i can save hundreds on something which equally serves the purpose brilliantly then y not? spend those extra bucks for our car repairs…dont u think ๐Ÿ˜•
    Obviously im not referring to the essentials of our trade which one must not compromise on, never!

This website is an encyclopedia…stuffed with knowledge from how to hold a steering to driving on 2 wheels(a bit of exxageration i know) to mastering the art of driving offroad etc etc..all for FREE FREE FREE…make use of that guys than getting into nitty-gritty of things which if so badly needed then get into one to one mode ๐Ÿ˜‰

Keep that passion burning which bonds all of us offroaders together… :drive: :drive: :drive: evrything else will be fun…

Well thats me…

Im now ready to take canons ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.