Starfish Dunes on Friday Oct 28th, TOC Marathon Race Support on Saturday Oct 29th

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Day and date: Fri & Sat Oct 28th & 29th
    Drive Type: Inter +
    Meeting Point: ADNOC on Al Faya Truck Road
    Google maps users (just copy and paste in Google maps): https://goo.gl/maps/GtPqTLbuCWv
    GPS users: 24ยฐ30’26.7″N 55ยฐ04’34.4″E
    Meeting Time: 0700
    Drive Start: Friday morning Oct 28th, 0730
    Drive End: Saturday Oct 29th around noon
    Duration: 2 days + 1 night camping
    Drive Route: Abu Krayyah to Al Quaa
    Drive Terrain: Lots of dunes, soft sand, sabkha, & tracks

1. Meeting point is ADNOC on Faya Truck Road which is about 70-90km (45M to 1H) depending on where in Dubai you are coming from
    2. We meet at 7:00 am and we will push off by 7:30
    3. Our dunes entry point is at Abu Krayyah, which is 1 hour (about 100KM) from the ADNOC: https://goo.gl/maps/RVS7ox2jcfv
    4. List will be our last petrol refueling point so if your car has a range of less than 400km you will need to carry a jerry can
    5. Our route takes us zig-zagging from Abu Krayyah to Al Quaa. If we get pressed for time we will exit sooner at Wagan
    6. After we exit the dunes near Al Quaa or Wagan, we have a short tarmac road drive to TOC basecamp
    7. Petrol stations for refueling are available in both Wagan and Al Quaa.

This is a great opportunity to have some awesome dune bashing fun on Friday, overnight camp and BBQ with your buddies, and then be a good sport and volunteer as a support vehicle for the inaugural Tropic of Cancer Desert Marathon being sponsored by the extreme desert adventurer Max Calderan.

DO is the exclusive club to support this event. This will be great publicity for our club and help keep us at the top of the UAE offroading community. It is a nice way to give back to your club and to the wider outdoor adventure community. We are aiming to have at a minimum of 20 cars for this event but the more the merrier.

Please see this link for details on the TOC Marathon: http://www.maxcalderan.net/tropicofcancermarathon

We will have a fun day of driving in the Starfish dunes. We will then camp out with the wider TOC Marathon group on Friday night with BBQ, drinks, fun, etc. On Saturday morning we will split up into support teams of 2-3 cars per team depending on group size. The idea will be to always have one support team in the front of the race, one in the back, and a bunch in the middle. The requirement would be to carry water (provided by the race organizer), first aid kits, and be driving around to assist any marathoners as needed. The race will start at 6:30 am and most probably finish in the early afternoon the latest, probably around 2pm or so. Your 2-3 car team will not be stationary during the race so you will have plenty of time to “professionally” play around in the dunes (remember you will be representing DO in an organized event).

This could be the first of an annual tradition with this marathon so it would be great to get DO in there from the start as the race’s premier partner for race support and give us a nice legacy to continue on throughout the years.

Looking forward to see our guys and gals out there!!

Matt

Checklist:
    a) Keep your emergency contact info at vehicle dashboard.
    b) Carry air compressor with you and ensure itโ€™s in working condition.
    c) Ensure your 4×4 vehicle is in perfect condition and with enough fuel.
    d) Compatible Radio is a must.
    e) Carry all necessary off-road gear / recovery equipment in good working condition.
    f) Carry enough water / refreshments / re-hydration drinks for self & co-passenger(s).

September 28, 2016 at 9:33 am #36700

Please count me in Matt. Would love to volunteer

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

September 28, 2016 at 9:41 am #36701
    quote Asim:

Please count me in Matt. Would love to volunteer

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Thanks Asim, done! Although I think you were a little slow in signing up…it was nearly 30 seconds if my watch was correct :))

Anonymous
    September 28, 2016 at 3:29 pm #36702

If I’m off from work on those dates… I’ll be In

Anonymous
    September 28, 2016 at 4:58 pm #36703

I would love to join, but not sure if I can make it as I need to entertain & guide my Swiss boss visiting the UAE & Kuwait on the week prior to this. ๐Ÿ™ :-s :(( :ymsigh:
    As I know him, I’ll be too tired after the week…

September 29, 2016 at 5:01 am #36706

I wish i could join so much! :-ss But i need to be in Dubai Saturday morning.

September 29, 2016 at 6:59 am #36709

Gr8 matt….. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ good job…… :yesss: :yesss: :yesss: ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ :ymhug: :ymhug: im going to india on 27th for diwali (indian festival) hence would not be able to join ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ….. but i would love to be a party of such an event ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก …. to be honest anything in Liwa :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:

September 29, 2016 at 7:21 am #36710

Hopefully your schedule works out Duli, it would be great to have you and your support!

Gabor, Alex, and Adi sorry to hear it won’t work for your schedules. You guys would have been great support.

September 29, 2016 at 12:22 pm #36711
    quote matthewficco:

Hopefully your schedule works out Duli, it would be great to have you and your support!

Gabor, Alex, and Adi sorry to hear it won’t work for your schedules. You guys would have been great support.

Plans had changed) I’m most probably in B-)

September 29, 2016 at 12:28 pm #36712
    quote Alex:

quote matthewficco:

Plans had changed) I’m most probably in B-)

Awesome…that would be great!

October 2, 2016 at 2:02 am #36742

Hi Matt, good morning. Super initiative. I have committed to another event with the EDC team in Liwa. Not so sure but I believe the dates are clashing. Will check with then and revert. Liwa always sounds exciting. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

October 4, 2016 at 10:25 am #36775
    quote mosalf:

Hi Matt, good morning. Super initiative. I have committed to another event with the EDC team in Liwa. Not so sure but I believe the dates are clashing. Will check with then and revert. Liwa always sounds exciting. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It would be great to have you Altaf. Hopefully you can make it.

October 15, 2016 at 7:27 pm #36840

Up

October 16, 2016 at 4:00 pm #36846

Matt, are there any more details to this yet? I noticed that we have been listed as sponsors. Cheers

October 17, 2016 at 8:04 am #36850
    quote Paul_FJCruiser:

Matt, are there any more details to this yet? I noticed that we have been listed as sponsors. Cheers

On the same subject, (the logo is not pointing to dubai Offroaders website) it could be a good thing to direct trafic to the Dubai Offroaders site.

Is it possible to get our hand on a the Dubail offroader logo ?

Maybe we could have T-shirt made etc.

or mabe this is already taken care of?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.