Suspension Lift

• Author

I am looking for some advice. I want to do some suspension lift on my Xterra 2008 model. Is 3 inches a safe enough lift which will not cause other side effects to the normal running of the vehicle ?

How do you basically get this lift. Saw many options online when i searched and am not sure what to do. Some tell to change springs and shocks, some saying Add a Leaf, change rear shackles………

can someone advice me how should i go about this.

September 25, 2009 at 8:33 am #11872

A suspension lift is basically required to allow better clearance for larger tyres or rims.

A lift of 1-2 inches does not require much modifications, but any thing exceeding 3″ may adversely affect the handling of the car since it essentially raises the centre of gravity of the vehicle.

The brakes & other lines may have to be altered too, which, is not a good idea…in my opinion.

The x-terra is especially tricky having a combination of leaf springs at the back & coils at the front, so one has to be very careful to keep the steering geometry intact.

There are some ready kits available in the market but one needs to find a professional set up to carry out the job.

Maybe Ali Asgher could shed some light on this.

September 25, 2009 at 11:22 am #11873

Just a sugession.

I dont think there is any need for lifting ur Extra as it already a good clearance along with good Approach and Departure angle.

Moreover the kind of drives and the frequency of drives u do, does not warrant a vehicle to be lifted. Unless u want to test your and ur vehicle’s the limits and planning to spend a very bussy season in Desert.
    And u can Invite MEoffroders for Biryani with the money u save
    😀

September 25, 2009 at 10:54 pm #11874

hi stanly

Just wanted to share something which i have been doing, i have been doing some research on the suspensions to be changed in my vehicle, i still have a lot to understand, but one thing i would say is if you change the suspension to the desert ones, they normally say you never get the same comfort on the road , you will start feeling every little bump on the road as big one as the suspension would be stiff

Second thing is you go around workshops asking prices and advice, their suggestions would help you to look things in a different angle
    The workshops i normally go and check are

Icon workshop in al quoz
    Ramy trading shop near danata
    Robbies in al quoz
    offroad zone in al quoz

these places are bit pricey, but they dont charge you when you go and ask questions, best way to know what all options you have got as well for your vehicle

September 27, 2009 at 8:30 am #11879

thanks for the info guys. basically I also was looking for a 2 inch lift only but i am planning to put metal bumper and bash plate in the front at a later stage. so i was thinking that becus of the extra weight this 2 inches lift would look normal again. Also having the lift would help me put bigger tyre sizes.

Icon and Yellow Hat doesnt have any kits for Xterra. Ramy’s has a lift kit of Rancho shocks which is comfort adjustable. I thinking of putting that so that way it will be comfy for road use also.

September 27, 2009 at 12:50 pm #11881

The hard or even medium strength “Old Man EMU” shocks and springs will also give you the “lifted” feeling without a lift kit and these can also bear the weight of the metal bumpers. Old Man EMU is available at Icon as well as Ace. Check it out

September 27, 2009 at 1:10 pm #11882
    quote AJS:

The hard or even medium strength “Old Man EMU” shocks and springs will also give you the “lifted” feeling without a lift kit and these can also bear the weight of the mettle bumpers. Old Man EMU is available at Icon as well as Ace. Check it out

OME shocks are one of the best, even better than Bilstein i have heard. but they dont make combatible ones for Xterra. I checked Icon and even ARB dealers in abudhabi.

September 27, 2009 at 1:12 pm #11883
    quote stanlyc7:

quote AJS:

The hard or even medium strength “Old Man EMU” shocks and springs will also give you the “lifted” feeling without a lift kit and these can also bear the weight of the metal bumpers. Old Man EMU is available at Icon as well as Ace. Check it out

OME shocks are one of the best, even better than Bilstein i have heard. but they dont make combatible ones for Xterra. I checked Icon and even ARB dealers in abudhabi.

hunnn…….. 😕

October 5, 2009 at 6:07 pm #11945
    quote stanlyc7:

but they dont make combatible ones for Xterra. I checked Icon and even ARB dealers in abudhabi.

search harder, they exist.

October 6, 2009 at 4:19 am #11946

Well if you know of a place, please share rather than saying “search harder” .

October 6, 2009 at 6:20 am #11947

Check offroad 4×4 at Gharoud,

I think they had it for xterra, when i was window shopping for my Pathy

October 6, 2009 at 7:16 am #11948
    quote humsafar:

Check offroad 4×4 at Gharoud,

I think they had it for xterra, when i was window shopping for my Pathy

is that the exact name of the shop, not able to find it in yellow pages. or do you have a phone number for them.

October 6, 2009 at 9:32 am #11949

It is in the same lane where 4×4 motors was.

and I cant remember the exact name, but I am sure offroad was one part of name.

if you go from gharoud signal to Gharoud bridge, u will find it on you right side, on corner of building

October 6, 2009 at 9:34 am #11950

You can also check “Desert Challange” it is on Maliha highway, while going towards the Emarat Petrol pump (our ussual meeting point for Fossil Rock drives)on Maliha highway

I have heard that even if they dont have the things they will order for you, and also heard the prices rthey quote are reasonable

October 7, 2009 at 4:25 am #11951

thanks adnan for the info.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.