THE SANDS OF TIME | Full day Wadi & Desert adventure + BBQ

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Hi Joe,

For the BBQ, do we carry the Firewood etc, or do we get a chance to stock up somewhere in between.

Cheers,
    Leo

March 16, 2015 at 2:19 pm #32296
    quote leo.austrian:

Hi Joe,

For the BBQ, do we carry the Firewood etc, or do we get a chance to stock up somewhere in between.

Cheers,
    Leo

hi Leo,
    its better to get some beforehand, a small bunch will do. its hard to find any in the wadi along the way as most of the villagers there collect it for personal use.

March 16, 2015 at 2:22 pm #32297
    quote leo.austrian:

Hi Joe,
    Cheers,
    Leo

You are an experienced offroader Leo.
    You know that it is always better to be prepared.
    All the preparations for the meat/ grill/ wood/ provisions etc. should be done before the commencement of the drive.
    It will not be possible to procure anything on the drive route.

March 16, 2015 at 3:54 pm #32299
    quote joe.zeinoun:

quote mung:

Hi Guys,

Just joined up and interested in getting involved, especially for this Wadi drive as I live up in RAK. One question I have being a Newbie…….

How hardcore is it? Whilst I have a desire to enjoy myself, I do not have a lot of off-road experience and would want to take it easy first time round. Do the marshals compensate for this or will I just end up frustrating others? Probably what I am trying to say is would I be able to start off slowly before burning up the dunes in the coming weeks, months and years?

hi Neale and welcome to DO ๐Ÿ™‚
    you are more than welcome to join us for the drive as a beginner and yet enjoy it.
    this trip will not be of a hardcore nature as much as an adventure fun drive, with the possibility of having a separate convoy of more advanced nature towards the end at the dunes ๐Ÿ™‚
    here at DO we have different levels of driving through which members gradually move up according to their performance. you will start off with the newbie group until the marshals feel its safe enough for you to move up a level.
    please make sure to carry all the necessary offroad gear mentioned on the forum and register for this drive.
    hope to see you there this friday…
    cheers

Thanks Joe, sounds great. I am all signed up. Now I am off to get me a radio and compressor! See you Friday.

March 17, 2015 at 7:33 am #32306

Friday will also be my first DO drive and my first real off-road drive on sand so I had many of the same questions as Karim and Neale. Sounds like it’s going to be a great day.

Karim – I bought the walkie-talkie at Dragon Mart yesterday, if you go the the right shop then they already have them pre-programmed with the DO frequencies, and will offer you a choice of a Motorola or a couple of Chinese brands. I went for the Motorola, if you do the same and tell them you are from DO they should sell it to you for AED250. The model number mentioned on the forum is Motorola 338+. The shop address I found on the forum was “Dragon Mart Shop: DubiShengPa 05’13 Contact Mr Liu 0508797266 043687184”, and after a bit of a search I found it – if you have a chance the note the full shop name and number and post it here that will help others find it in future – -I wish I had done this.

Neale – I also got a compressor yesterday from ACE hardware in Festival City, it’s the Bushranger Black Maxx which is mentioned on the forum and their current price is AED 699.

I still need to get a flag and a mounting – do any of the experienced DO’s have advice on what to get and where to get it? The Dragonmart shop mentioned in the forum for suction cups doesn’t seem to exist anymore, and I think I saw a forum post saying you can use a Carrefour fishing rod for the flag, but is this really the best way?

The other thing I haven’t got yet is a tow rope – the Viking one mentioned in the forums seems to have been discontinued so I’m on the lookout for an alternative. Again, any suggestions would be welcome – is this a necessity for Friday, or can we rely on the marshalls to have them?

I have to say as a newbie this is a great forum with some really high quality articles – many thanks, and look forward to a good drive on Friday!

March 17, 2015 at 11:03 am #32307

Welcome to DO Chris ๐Ÿ™‚
    thank you for doing your research on this forum and sharing your findings with the rest of the members, i encourage everyone to do the same ๐Ÿ˜‰

you will find the flags and kinetic ropes at AEV, just mention my name and that you are a member of this club to avail of some discount. you can also find them at icon auto, ramy 4X4, adventure HQ, and other 4X4 offroad shops etc..

and please dont forget to register for this drive by clicking the registration button above.
    hope to see you this Friday for some outdoor fun.
    cheers

March 17, 2015 at 5:07 pm #32310

Thanks Joe, I went to AEV this evening, they we’re suprised to see a guy in an F150 arrive at a Jeep store but they helped me out and I now have the flag and a kinetic rope – the same one you bought apparently :thanks:

March 17, 2015 at 7:48 pm #32315
    quote ChrisP:

Friday will also be my first DO drive and my first real off-road drive on sand so I had many of the same questions as Karim and Neale. Sounds like it’s going to be a great day.

Karim – I bought the walkie-talkie at Dragon Mart yesterday, if you go the the right shop then they already have them pre-programmed with the DO frequencies, and will offer you a choice of a Motorola or a couple of Chinese brands. I went for the Motorola, if you do the same and tell them you are from DO they should sell it to you for AED250. The model number mentioned on the forum is Motorola 338+. The shop address I found on the forum was “Dragon Mart Shop: DubiShengPa 05’13 Contact Mr Liu 0508797266 043687184”, and after a bit of a search I found it – if you have a chance the note the full shop name and number and post it here that will help others find it in future – -I wish I had done this.

Neale – I also got a compressor yesterday from ACE hardware in Festival City, it’s the Bushranger Black Maxx which is mentioned on the forum and their current price is AED 699.

I still need to get a flag and a mounting – do any of the experienced DO’s have advice on what to get and where to get it? The Dragonmart shop mentioned in the forum for suction cups doesn’t seem to exist anymore, and I think I saw a forum post saying you can use a Carrefour fishing rod for the flag, but is this really the best way?

The other thing I haven’t got yet is a tow rope – the Viking one mentioned in the forums seems to have been discontinued so I’m on the lookout for an alternative. Again, any suggestions would be welcome – is this a necessity for Friday, or can we rely on the marshalls to have them?

I have to say as a newbie this is a great forum with some really high quality articles – many thanks, and look forward to a good drive on Friday!

For flags you can contact our Marshall Faheem 050 758 2245 and he has stock in his warehouse from earlier order for sale.

Reg Viking ropes, we have Marshall said who generally procures on min order of 10. So as a new bie you don’t req for this drive. A new thread will be opened for viking rope procurement and you can put ur name there.

March 18, 2015 at 7:43 am #32316
    quote ChrisP:

Thanks for this Chris. I am popping to Ace now and Dragon Mart later, and will get a photo of the shop for clarification. Is a flag a “must have”?

March 18, 2015 at 11:04 am #32317
    quote mung:

Is a flag a “must have”?

Hi Neale (and anyone wondering about this) :ymhug:

* Anything related to safety is a must (flag & radio is among them). Ironically they are cheaper than other required equipment ๐Ÿ˜•
    * Compressor is for your own convenience, not to drive deflated on the road after the drive, as it affects tyres. It also is required to fix pop-outs.
    * Rope is useful anytime, if you do get to love this sport, and it’s better to rely on your own instruments, rather than depending on others :yesss: It’s a well worth of an investment ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheerz :drive:

March 19, 2015 at 3:49 am #32326

One day to goโ€ฆ looking forward to the long drive/Wadi/Desert. Hopefully we see more of these trips @ DO

March 19, 2015 at 5:08 am #32328

count me in – 0566801127.

March 19, 2015 at 5:30 am #32329
    quote hassan:

count me in – 0566801127.

Hello Hassan,

If you wish to join the drive please click the register button on the first page of the post. You will then see your name registered below. This is required to join the drive.

Also then please read the other posts and make sure you have the necessary equipment which is also required to join. :thanks:

March 19, 2015 at 8:24 am #32332

and here’s a heads-up for people living around motorcity/hessa street/Springs/jlt etc: there will be some road closures tomorrow morning for a bicycles race as in this page from the news paper:

March 19, 2015 at 9:39 am #32334

Looking forward to it…..my 1st ride :ymparty:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.