Update Paul_FJCruiser

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Many of you would have heard that Oskar and I managed to overturn our FJ Last week.

Clearly, we made a mistake (or at least I did) and we rolled the car 4 times!! The slope we were traveling on wasn’t steep and we were not going too fast or too slow and we had certainly driven more extreme stuff throughout the day. There were some bushes that undoubtedly contributed to the problem but we were not trying to side slope or to do anything particularly crazy. In fact we were just trying to make our way around to where the Marshal had driven to.

Couple of lessons to be learnt here….

The accident occurred at the end of the day as we were finishing our drive (always concentrate whenever in the sand and at whatever stage of the drive)
    Ensure that everything in your car is securely fastened down (we has a net covering our camping gear to hold it in place)
    Remember that 4WD driving is inherently dangerous (otherwise, why would we do it?)
    and finally ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT

Both Oskar and I were protected by the car and suffered no injuries (only pride) and I have no doubt that matters would have been much different if he wasn’t on his booster seat and we both didn’t have our seatbelts on.

The car is being assessed now, but it’s likely to be a write-off. How did his mother react? Well considering and undoubtedly down to the fact that we took reasonable steps to mitigate the risks and that accidents do happen! Will we see you in the desert soon? Absolutely, both Oskar and I are cleared to drive once we get our car replaced or repaired.

Many thanks for the DO team in helping us get our car up and running. It is testament to the strength of the FJ that not only did it land back on its wheels, it drove out of the desert, to the Police station and then back to Dubai 2.5 hours away. The body is broken but its heart remained strong!!!

See you soon and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful no matter what level of driver you are.

Paul

November 1, 2016 at 10:42 am #37031

I am glad to hear it turned out ok at home #:-s , it would be good to learn about the whole insurance process.
    and we really hope to see you on the drives soon ! :drive:

:thanks: for the update and advice.

S & G

November 1, 2016 at 11:11 am #37032

@-) I just read your post to know you had that accident.
    It’s great to know you and Oskar r both OK. #:-s
    Thanks to the god for that. :thanks:
    Take care and hope to see you soon on dune.

November 1, 2016 at 12:48 pm #37034

Thanks for the update Paul and it is very good to know you both are OK and will be back in action soon.

November 1, 2016 at 4:59 pm #37040

hard luck Paul!!!
    so sorry to hear that.. but thankfully u guys where unharmed, and thats all what matters… the rest as u said are lessons to be learnt.
    hope to see u back in action soon again… best of luck.

November 2, 2016 at 4:57 am #37044

very ironic profile picture !
    I like your sense of humor ๐Ÿ™‚

November 2, 2016 at 7:46 am #37049

Whatever happens, happens for a reason, and there is always something good in it for us!
    health matters the most, glad that you both are ok, hope to see you back in sand soon.

November 2, 2016 at 1:05 pm #37052

Glad to know you & oskar are unharmed
    Be safe

November 2, 2016 at 2:07 pm #37053
    quote Sebastien:

very ironic profile picture !
    I like your sense of humor ๐Ÿ™‚

We’ll change it once we have wheels again!!!

Anonymous
    November 2, 2016 at 2:53 pm #37054

I also like your new profile picture and fingers crossed that your car won’t be a write-off and will be saved.

If I happen to return to the sand – and Jeep service just issued the LPO and starts with the actual work to rebuild my car – I would like once to swap cars with someone to try the FJ-feeling.

I was thinking about asking you Paul, although I already caused troubles for you back in our rookie time when my car kissed yours. And now, as I have an even worse reputation jumping around uncontrollably with my own car … :ymsick: #-o

But let’s be optimistic ! Both our cars will be saved & back to action and maybe once we can swap. ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 2, 2016 at 5:16 pm #37055
    quote edeg1972:

I also like your new profile picture and fingers crossed that your car won’t be a write-off and will be saved.

If I happen to return to the sand – and Jeep service just issued the LPO and starts with the actual work to rebuild my car – I would like once to swap cars with someone to try the FJ-feeling.

I was thinking about asking you Paul, although I already caused troubles for you back in our rookie time when my car kissed yours. And now, as I have an even worse reputation jumping around uncontrollably with my own car … :ymsick: #-o

But let’s be optimistic ! Both our cars will be saved & back to action and maybe once we can swap. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I really am not expecting my car to be saved. If indeed it is a write-off, I have a good plan B but as Arnie would say ‘ I’ll be back’

November 3, 2016 at 6:44 am #37056

Paul,

If you have a reputable insurance don’t worry. It will be a total loss for sure.
    A friend of mine rolled (also with is small daughter in the car BTW…) an FJ (only one slow roll) and bend the front windows mounts (and that what it counts). Total loss. Insurance paid.

BTW, I think probably the key is: “end of the drive”. It usually happens that when tired attention reduces even just slightly but a small mistake in this sport (that is a sport, it’s not a touring experience!) can turn up into a accident.
    Good you’re both safe.

Hope to see you soon back on track

November 3, 2016 at 7:26 am #37060
    quote Gallo:

that is a sport, it’s not a touring experience!

Something that is forgotten sometimes… :ymsigh:

November 3, 2016 at 8:05 am #37061

Thanks guys, already looking at plan B…

Just in case anyone is interested, FJ Extreme 2016 model in AFM is current selling for 140K from 158K!! I guess I have given away my plan B?

November 8, 2016 at 3:41 pm #37092

Car has now been assessed by AFM and at 86K of repairs the insurance company has written off the car. Taking the plates to RTA tonight and then to the insurer to get the declared value less the 20% depreciation for this year as its a full year of the policy 5 days later!

We have placed the order for the FJ Extreme at 140K – saving 19K!!!
    http://www.toyota.ae/offers/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.